U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-26-2010, 06:34 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,925,375 times
Sometimes when I'm driving thru Round Rock and around the area, I am reminded of Redding, CA - where I lived for 3 years back in the early 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM

2,143 posts, read 2,833,418 times
I'm not sure that the Op cares about the Politics of the city that much from the original post. If I were looking for the things that were originally stated below, then I would definitely go to San Diego and not Northern California. I didn't get a laid back vibe at all from the two years that I lived in the South Bay/San Jose area.

"(I love the weather there, especially southern CA). However, I really like the laidback vibe of Austin, live music, and general atmosphere."

Unread 05-26-2010, 09:05 AM

4,040 posts, read 5,408,522 times
I will never understand why people refer to SD as being conservative. Maybe some of its politics are, but SD sure as hell isn't Charlotte or some other city known for conservative minded people. Id hardly call the citizens of SD and the general vibe of that city as being conservative.

Im not sure there is a similiar city to Austin in California. I would have to give SD the title if I made a choice, but it would be a very limited comparison.

Unread 05-26-2010, 10:13 AM

1,998 posts, read 2,080,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm telling the truth. Austin is not liberal like San Fransisco. lol. That is absurd to think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I will never understand why people refer to SD as being conservative. Maybe some of its politics are, but SD sure as hell isn't Charlotte or some other city known for conservative minded people. Id hardly call the citizens of SD and the general vibe of that city as being conservative.

Im not sure there is a similiar city to Austin in California. I would have to give SD the title if I made a choice, but it would be a very limited comparison.
Maybe I should have included a disclaimer with my comments that says that when I refer to the politics of a city as being "conservative" or "liberal" I mean relative to the region. In other words, Austin is liberal as far as Texas goes (obviously not as radical as San Francisco - and I know because I've lived in San Francisco), and San Diego and Orange County are conservative as far as California goes.

Unread 05-26-2010, 12:32 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,012,561 times
I think it's a bad idea to compare Austin (or any Texas city) to California. I get a quesy feeling. Texas and California are two separate states, containing a variety of different cultures within, and with 2 very different histories.

I understand the need to perhaps relate Austin to someplace familiar, but the city (like Texas) is its own animal..such comparisons really don't give the city justice.

Unread 05-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,419 posts, read 3,146,884 times
Default Redwood City, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
There is no city anywhere that is just like any other city. So you can't find a city in California that replicates Austin. You can find places where an individual characteristic is similar, but you can't ever find the whole thing. Texas and Austin have their own unique culture. Someone may like it or not, but you are not going to find it reproduced anywhere else. The OP was asking for "laidback vibe of Austin, live music, and general atmosphere". I think you can find places in CA with the laidback vibe. But Austin's music scene is going to have a regional influence and "general atmosphere" sounds a lot like culture and attitudes, and I don't know how you are going to get either anywhere but Austin. It's sort of like a restaurant I know in northern CA: it is a "Texas Bar-b-que" place. They serve pretty good bar-b-que, Shiner and Lone Star beer, and have a roll of paper towels on the tables. So it is a little like being in Texas, but I don't think anyone attached to Texas is going to think it is "just like home". So my advice to the OP is to figure out what parts of the experience are most important to you and look for those things, rather than looking for someplace that reproduces all the multi-faceted aspects of Austin. If it turns out that you really want the whole gestalt, there is only one way to get it ....
I have to agree with G Grasshopper
I grew up in Houston and lived in Austin from April 2006 until Dec 2007. I now live in Redwood City, CA and I love it here! It is one of the most beautiful areas in northern California It is central to the bay area making access to San Francisco, San Jose, Pacifica quick and easy. There is so much to do in this area no matter what you are into. The nature here is absolutely breathtaking. Highway 1 along the pacific ocean, The San Andreas Lakes, Crystal Springs Reservoir and all the hiking and biking places you could only imagine, Wine Country and on and on I could go. The weather is mostly sunny and the vibe is very laid back here. I would encourage you to look in this area since it is central to the bay area which allows you more access to many things to do. Redwood City | Welcome!

Unread 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM

25,171 posts, read 30,915,711 times
Austin is the most communist city in Texas. I'll give you that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Maybe I should have included a disclaimer with my comments that says that when I refer to the politics of a city as being "conservative" or "liberal" I mean relative to the region. In other words, Austin is liberal as far as Texas goes (obviously not as radical as San Francisco - and I know because I've lived in San Francisco), and San Diego and Orange County are conservative as far as California goes.

Unread 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,536,494 times
God bless you sir and the greatest state in the nation!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I have to agree with G Grasshopper
I grew up in Houston and lived in Austin from April 2006 until Dec 2007. I now live in Redwood City, CA and I love it here! It is one of the most beautiful areas in northern California It is central to the bay area making access to San Francisco, San Jose, Pacifica quick and easy. There is so much to do in this area no matter what you are into. The nature here is absolutely breathtaking. Highway 1 along the pacific ocean, The San Andreas Lakes, Crystal Springs Reservoir and all the hiking and biking places you could only imagine, Wine Country and on and on I could go. The weather is mostly sunny and the vibe is very laid back here. I would encourage you to look in this area since it is central to the bay area which allows you more access to many things to do. Redwood City | Welcome!

Unread 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,419 posts, read 3,146,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
God bless you sir and the greatest state in the nation!!
Thank you but I am a misses!

Unread 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM

25,171 posts, read 30,915,711 times
How severe is the cost of living and the earthquakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Thank you but I am a misses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin