Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times

Advertisements

Looks like I have informal and formal hearings scheduled for the first and second weeks of June. Problem is I will be out of town for the former. Anyway to work with them to reschedule this or failing that to submits docs electronically beforehand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,209 times
And in a related question - what's the difference between the informal and formal?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Looks like I have informal and formal hearings scheduled for the first and second weeks of June. Problem is I will be out of town for the former. Anyway to work with them to reschedule this or failing that to submits docs electronically beforehand?
Call them, you are allowed an automatic rescheduling once (automatic in that you don't have to provide any proof/reason you can't make it). I do it all the time.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
And in a related question - what's the difference between the informal and formal?
Informal is you and a TCAD employee sitting at their cubicle, and you provide the evidence, and they may be able to adjust your value in certain straightforward situations.

If you can't get satisfaction there, the formal meeting is where you sit in front of the appraisal board (citizens), along with a TCAD employee, and you are sworn in and everything is recorded. You state your case, and they may ask some questions. The TCAD employee will weigh in with the comps/info behind the original appraiser's opinion. Then they discuss it, take a vote, and the results are final. I believe there is some court appeal allowed; I've never taken it that far, though.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:46 PM

252 posts, read 718,593 times
My property value still says 0 when I search for it. It's a new property and I closed last November. When should it be listed? This is the website to search Travis Central Appraisal District correct?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Informal is you and a TCAD employee sitting at their cubicle, and you provide the evidence, and they may be able to adjust your value in certain straightforward situations.

If you can't get satisfaction there, the formal meeting is where you sit in front of the appraisal board (citizens), along with a TCAD employee, and you are sworn in and everything is recorded. You state your case, and they may ask some questions. The TCAD employee will weigh in with the comps/info behind the original appraiser's opinion. Then they discuss it, take a vote, and the results are final. I believe there is some court appeal allowed; I've never taken it that far, though.
Purchase price was 14k < appraised value. Only question that I have is the seller incentive from the relo company. Will they use that against me? Sure as hell hope not!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
Purchase price was 14k < appraised value. Only question that I have is the seller incentive from the relo company. Will they use that against me? Sure as hell hope not!
bring in your hud-1 statement and you'll be fine in the informal.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM

316 posts, read 849,233 times
The first time we filed a protest, we attended the informal meeting, the TCAD employee told us that we had no chance of succeeding. We proceeded to the formal meeting and succeeded. We no longer attend the informal meeting.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
Does it help to pay for an appraisal from an private appraiser as one would get if they were getting ready to list the property AS IS? Mine needs a lot of cosmetic work (carpets, kitchen bath) compared to Just Solds.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon X View Post
Does it help to pay for an appraisal from an private appraiser as one would get if they were getting ready to list the property AS IS? Mine needs a lot of cosmetic work (carpets, kitchen bath) compared to Just Solds.
The instructions that TCAD sends (green sheets of paper) says to come with evidence like "bids from contractors for repairs". It doesn't say anything about an appraisal, but it stands to reason that would be a strong piece of evidence (if it is in your favor). However, the big difference between that and contractor bids is that contractor bids are free -- an appraisal might cost you every bit of the $$ you would save in taxes that year if you get your adjustment down.

Having said, that... in my experience, the bids from contractors (or pictures of condition, etc) don't seem to work to well for protest hearings. At least I haven't had any success. The best thing seems to be realtor comps, or pointing out things about your house that are significantly different from the comps TCAD used (should have been supplied to you), so you can get them eliminated from the comparison.

This year turned out to be a great year to protest for me. 2009 had some crazy low comps I could use, and the TCAD office is a ghost town compared to previous years (very few protesters). I got to see an appraiser right at the appointment time (instead of 1hr+ wait last year), got everything done in the informal, and was out of there in like 15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin