Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM

21 posts, read 37,332 times

Advertisements

*giggles* Austin traffic is soooo cute! *pinches Austin's cheeks*

lol

*falls into a scary, gloomy trance of flashbacks to DC Metro traffic*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 03:16 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesboy63 View Post
Is traffic typically worse heading in a certain direction? I know that living here in Reno our issues are minimal but I go home heading south cruising 75 MPH the whole way no problem. The people heading north on the other hand are in a traffic jam as far as the eye can see. I've always based where I live in town on that. Is Austin similar but obviously on a much larger scale? Also living on the outskirts, everything we need on a daily basis is right around the corner. The only time we go downtown is on the weekends for some fun when traffic issues are much less.
Absolutely it does depend, at least on some of the high/free ways:

183 - SB sucks in the morning (Spicewood Springs to Mopac), NB sucks in the afternoon (Burnet to Spicewood Springs)
Mopac - sucks SB (183 to 45th) and NB (not sure where it starts, but it pretty much clears up after you get past the river/Enfield) in the mornings , sucks NB (river/Enfield to 2222) and SB (45th to south of the river) in the afternoons
360 - sucks SB (183 to Westlake Blvd) in the mornings, NB (opposite) in the afternoons
I35 - generally seems to suck all the time no matter when/where, but I'm sure others can provide more detail

So in Austin the general rule is that traffic heads towards downtown in the mornings and out of downtown in the afternoons.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I like how almost everyone drives a van or a suburban truck.

When you get closer to campus the pollution gets much worse because the students drive beat up older cars that don't have the sophisticated pollution filters that modern cars have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravebird79 View Post
*giggles* Austin traffic is soooo cute! *pinches Austin's cheeks*

lol

*falls into a scary, gloomy trance of flashbacks to DC Metro traffic*

Old 05-27-2010, 03:36 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

When you get closer to campus the pollution gets much worse because the students drive beat up older cars that don't have the sophisticated pollution filters that modern cars have.

What's your point? there's people that drive trucks and Suburbans every where not just here I see them in Houston,Dallas and San Antonio.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I35 - generally seems to suck all the time no matter when/where, but I'm sure others can provide more detail

So in Austin the general rule is that traffic heads towards downtown in the mornings and out of downtown in the afternoons.
Go to Google Maps, and select the "traffic" tab. You can see the congestion and select the time of day and day of the week. I will say that 35 north approaching downtown is bad 730a to 9a and 35 south is bad from 430p to 6p. There is always Congress, First, and Manchacha to take into town as well. The other 90% time it's smooth sailing on 35 unless there is an event. Pretty much, unless you live central and can walk to where you need, traffic will be a part of your life.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 11,331 times
Thanks Jobert, that's a good tip, never noticed it was there..

Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times
Lamar during rush hour is almost as congested Mopac at rush hour.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
gas guzzling F150's, Tahoes and Suburbans rule the Austin roadways!! You have to look HARD to actually find a car in this town. But you are right, when you get closer to UT, you do tend to see more cars (mainly from Dallas probably) For some reason a lot of people in AR drive vans, but I dont see too many down in austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post

Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,846 times
I pedaled my bike 20 miles from 183/Mopac to Lakeway in less than an hour. It's only 15 minutes faster by car - when there is no serious traffic. Otherwise its about equal. My gf who comes from Lakeway, sometimes it takes her over an hour to get here.

What a joke. That's pretty sad that a pedal pusher such as me can beat a car to Lakeway.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,846 times
Now that my gf lives in Oak Hill, you'd think driving a car straight down Mopac would be faster than a bike.

Right?

Well, if it's during rush hour - not a chance. It took 1 hour, 20 min to go from 183/Mopac to Oak Hill, which is 16 miles, starting at 4:40pm. Took me over an hour just to get to the river downtown. That's 8mph average.

Driving home at midnight, the highways were almost empty. But for anyone who has to commute around Austin during the rush hours, I think they are crazy. This culture we live in seems a bit wacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin