Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I pedaled my bike 20 miles from 183/Mopac to Lakeway in less than an hour. It's only 15 minutes faster by car - when there is no serious traffic. Otherwise its about equal. My gf who comes from Lakeway, sometimes it takes her over an hour to get here.

What a joke. That's pretty sad that a pedal pusher such as me can beat a car to Lakeway.
Umm Im not sure which way you are going but 183/mopac to lakeway is at most a 25 minute drive without traffic. It is 55 mph almost the whole way so unless you can go up that 2222 hill at 55 Im a bit skeptical

It is 15 minutes from 183/mopac to 620x2222 without traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Now that my gf lives in Oak Hill, you'd think driving a car straight down Mopac would be faster than a bike.

Right?

Well, if it's during rush hour - not a chance. It took 1 hour, 20 min to go from 183/Mopac to Oak Hill, which is 16 miles, starting at 4:40pm. Took me over an hour just to get to the river downtown. That's 8mph average.

Driving home at midnight, the highways were almost empty. But for anyone who has to commute around Austin during the rush hours, I think they are crazy. This culture we live in seems a bit wacky.
Ok I see the problem, your math is a bit off 16 miles in 1.33 hours is 12 miles per hour not 8. But in any case, that drive takes me about 40 minutes at rush hour. Use the frontage roads at

45th - this requires a left turn at a stop sign in front of camp mabry. But you can often times see whether it is backed up. I wouldnt do it if there are more than 5 cars or so. Usually mopac is still moving at 45th so this one isnt necessary

35th - always take this one during rush hour

westover - always take this one during rush hour

lake austin blvd - I dont usually take this one because traffic has sped up again but it is a viable one.

These frontage roads can easily take 15-20 minutes of the drive.

Northbound has slightly different exits.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Umm Im not sure which way you are going but 183/mopac to lakeway is at most a 25 minute drive without traffic. It is 55 mph almost the whole way so unless you can go up that 2222 hill at 55 Im a bit skeptical

It is 15 minutes from 183/mopac to 620x2222 without traffic

More specifically, Steck/Mopac. So the shortest route is to go west to 360 (takes 8 minutes just to get there). Then 360 to Bee Caves, then 71-620 north for a few miles. It's 19.6 miles. Took me 40 minutes in my car with normal traffic levels and going the speed limit. Took me 55 minutes on my bike, obeying all traffic laws.

I'm by no means saying everyone can ride a bike at 22mph average over hills and with stops. Although nearly anyone could on an electric assisted bike. The real problem is that our roads aren't safe enough if you are traveling under the speed limit.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:52 PM

554 posts, read 1,060,846 times
Quote:
Ok I see the problem, your math is a bit off 16 miles in 1.33 hours is 12 miles per hour not 8. But in any case, that drive takes me about 40 minutes at rush hour. Use the frontage roads at

45th - this requires a left turn at a stop sign in front of camp mabry. But you can often times see whether it is backed up. I wouldnt do it if there are more than 5 cars or so. Usually mopac is still moving at 45th so this one isnt necessary

lake austin blvd - I dont usually take this one because traffic has sped up again but it is a viable one.

You're shortcuts may work if the highway is moving 8mph and few are taking the exits. But otherwise, you are just adding more stops and waiting at lights. There is no frontage road south of 2222.

The slowest part of that drive was the 8 miles to the river - which took an hour. Once I got near 360 on Mopac, we were going 20-30 then it opened up, so it wasn't too bad after that. Overall it did take 80 minutes to go 16 miles.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:42 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:

People who use the exits to go 'around' traffic drive me crazy (ha). Especially at 35th, when people are trying to get onto Mopac or off and run into the crazies who are trying to shave 2 minutes off their drive time. It's actually unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin