U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM

30 posts, read 73,951 times
Default Month to month (or weekly) Austin apartment rental?

Does anyone know a reasonably clean and decent (as in not a crappy motel with thin walls) short term rental in Austin? Month to month (or weekly) hopefully with wifi? Have allergies where I live now and have to move asap.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:15 AM

14,312 posts, read 20,082,323 times
Check out Extended Stay Austin - Southwest, Overview - Extended Stay America

Old 05-28-2010, 11:22 AM

2,724 posts, read 5,507,293 times
If you are going to stay in one of those extended stay places, you get a much better deal if you rent for a month at a time. Additionally, the tax situation is different once you go to a monthly rental. Hotel taxes are something like 10% of the room rate. If you go over 30 days, I think that doesn't apply. Also, you can negotiate a better rate for a monthly stay vs nightly or weekly.

Be sure and check craigslist for subleases or temporary leases. I saw some the other day where they rent only for the summer while UT is out of session.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:31 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,477,445 times
Theres a coupon floating around for $200 off a month or more stay at Extended Stay. Personally I wouldnt stay at them, the chain is bankrupt and has really gone down hill in the past 3-4 years.
http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/ES...VRtOWiuP1wbYeg

Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM

551 posts, read 869,838 times
I stayed at Extended stay (the Deluxe version) on my first visit to Austin.
It was pretty bad.
We changed rooms multiple times, trying to find one that was not gross, and had working wifi.
I finally settled for one with a sort of funny smell, but not as bad as the others.

The place looked like it had once been really nice, and had a lot of potential.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:23 AM

390 posts, read 736,690 times
Try International Residence apts. They do 3, 6, 12 month leases. Their economy room comes with a bed you can pull off the wall. Wasn't too bad when I lived there. A bit crowded and close to Cedar Park.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:14 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,477,445 times
Might want to read this before you do that: International Residence Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Austin apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Old 05-29-2010, 10:24 AM

390 posts, read 736,690 times
Yeah, there are lots of bad reviews. I lived there for 3 years and they didn't always follow the rules. I had to put in my dog so the maintenance guys wouldn't feel tempted to snoop in the apt and I swear they may have stolen a thing or two but never did have proof. They ripped off my security deposit but they are alright for people who want a temp place to live. They're crowded but I'm deaf so all the noise never did bother me.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 AM

551 posts, read 869,838 times
If you are willing to sign at least a 3 month lease, the complex I live in offers such a lease, at not much more than the longer leases.
I think a small 1 bedroom is about $600 a month.

As for alleviating allergies, it depends on what you are allergic to.
My allergies here are not much worse then they have been in other places I have lived.

They do allow pets, and I know the previous resident here had a cat (which I am allergic to).
However, they have less carpet than most places (opting instead for fake wood in living and dining areas). This makes it much easier to clean.
They also cleaned the carpet really well sort of, they left behind a cleaning solution odor that reeked, but after I did my own re-clean, with just water and baking soda, a few times, and ventilated, I think the carpet was pretty clean.

But this place is in Wellsbranch, which might not be close enough to the location you want.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 PM

30 posts, read 73,951 times
Thanks! Will avoid those.

Thanks Eileen! what's the name of your complex? a 3 month lease is fine I could even do a 6 or 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin