Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Your choices are pretty limited. You either "drink the Kool-Aid" or be dismissed. Kind of like Austin. You either "love it" beyond all belief or people will think there's something WRONG WITH YOU!
I don't know if that's really accurate. It seems like plenty of people come to this site and say "meh" about Austin and most responses are "to each his own." I think that when people come to this forum and mercilessly bash the place and in some cases fabricate stories and invent 'facts' about it, then they are called on it. But short of "trollish" behavior, I think most people on this board are pretty respectful of dissent.

We like Austin a lot, but don't "love it beyond belief" and our real life friends here don't think there is anything wrong with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Interestingly, I attended UT, could have cared less about sports, never did "drink the Koolaid", don't really care for burnt orange (it doesn't flatter my complexion at all) and have lived in Austin and environs quite happily for some 40-odd years now being given no trouble whatsoever due to that. Even when I worked at UT. I find the people friendly, generally, there's too many things to choose from in the way of "things to do" in quite an array of activities, some of which I'm interested in, some of which I'm not, but it's no skin off my nose if other people enjoy them, and pretty much don't recognize the city that some folks on here describe. I DO wonder at people that hate Austin that won't leave, and I DO wonder at people who leave Austin (or who never even lived here, just visited - or did they live here - or what was the story again? It's like a moving target!) but seem irresistibly drawn to return to the forum over and over and over again just to bash it. That behavior does verge on compulsive, it seems to me, and it's certainly remarkable (as in, worthy of remarking on).

The other interesting thing is how those very same people react if someone, for example, says something negative about, oh, say, Dallas. Sort of a "I can dish it out but I can't take it" reaction, it seems.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM

269 posts, read 666,777 times
Hello.

What exactly are you getting at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interestingly, I attended UT, could have cared less about sports, never did "drink the Koolaid", don't really care for burnt orange (it doesn't flatter my complexion at all) and have lived in Austin and environs quite happily for some 40-odd years now being given no trouble whatsoever due to that. Even when I worked at UT. I find the people friendly, generally, there's too many things to choose from in the way of "things to do" in quite an array of activities, some of which I'm interested in, some of which I'm not, but it's no skin off my nose if other people enjoy them, and pretty much don't recognize the city that some folks on here describe. I DO wonder at people that hate Austin that won't leave, and I DO wonder at people who leave Austin (or who never even lived here, just visited - or did they live here - or what was the story again? It's like a moving target!) but seem irresistibly drawn to return to the forum over and over and over again just to bash it. That behavior does verge on compulsive, it seems to me, and it's certainly remarkable (as in, worthy of remarking on).

The other interesting thing is how those very same people react if someone, for example, says something negative about, oh, say, Dallas. Sort of a "I can dish it out but I can't take it" reaction, it seems.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Heck, I'll just come out and admit it.

I drink the kool-aid, have been for years. It's tasty! If Austin were just a little cooler in the summer, and had a ski mountain within a day's drive, it would be my perfect city. But no place is truly perfect. However, for me, Austin is the best. And I'm speaking as someone from the northeast originally, who regularly travels to both coasts.

To make things worse, I love burnt orange. Even though I hardly wear it (with the exception of a few Saturdays in the fall), I really appreciate how distinct it is. There is no mistaking what university burnt orange represents -- there are no other major schools, pro teams, etc. which use it. I like that.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,672 times
Quote:
Your choices are pretty limited. You either "drink the Kool-Aid" or be dismissed. Kind of like Austin. You either "love it" beyond all belief or people will think there's something WRONG WITH YOU!
You must be thinking of A&M... A lot of, or maybe most, UT students aren't into sports.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times
You are so wrong. Here are the sheeple:

YouTube - UT Fans going to the game 8/30/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You must be thinking of A&M... A lot of, or maybe most, UT students aren't into sports.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 PM

269 posts, read 666,777 times
: ) I like that term - sheeple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are so wrong. Here are the sheeple:

YouTube - UT Fans going to the game 8/30/08

Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
I like how my question can go unanswered everytime I ask that particular poster a question, lol.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Pretty much correct. The student section at DKR stadium is something like 5000-7000 seats out of 102,000. The other 95% of the stadium is filled with alumni (really, can a student afford a $80+ ticket?) and t-shirt fans. Most come from in from Dallas or Houston, which are full of UT alums. But we'll take their $$$ and give them a show, I think they generally have a great time when they visit. Then they will kindly leave.

A&M does get a lot more students in the stadium, it seems like. Probably because they haven't been selling out, and would rather give the tix to the students than have them sit empty. Plus with their yell squad and the corps, there is a higher interest in the games.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Hello.

What exactly are you getting at?
Sorry, I didn't quote the post I was replying to, and another post came in between by the time I hit "Submit".

That was in response to this post:

Quote:
I was disagreeing on both counts, but particularly on the UT Kool-Aid count.

That more clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin