Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM

15 posts, read 34,913 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input. We will definitely look at these areas and zip codes. We are excited to get back to TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXgirl72 View Post
Thanks for the input. We will definitely look at these areas and zip codes. We are excited to get back to TX.

Sorry to get worked up, we're Texans and we like to argue.

I have found this site to be of great use as well:
Moderator cut: link removed

enjoy!

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM

15 posts, read 34,913 times
Thanks for all of these options. It has already broadened our opportunities. I would also like to ask your opinions/recommendations about Kyle and Buda. I understand that they are small towns that are growing. Would these be good places to look as well??

Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Kyle and Buda have pretty much grown geometrically over the last decade with housing meeting your size and price reqt's, but with that growth has come traffic. If your DH plans to commute at off-times, then 30 minutes is achievable from Kyle and of course, Buda. For better info, try GoogleMaps and select the traffic tab. You can change the settings to see traffic on I-35 different times of day and days of the week. They are both a little out there and will have a rural feel rather than a suburban feel, if that matters.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,539 times
You could certainly get more for your money in Buda or Kyle, possibly more than you might need in your price range even. Property taxes might be less also. As far as the 30 min travel time...could be hit or miss! Might be worth it though.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDerek View Post
You could certainly get more for your money in Buda or Kyle, possibly more than you might need in your price range even. Property taxes might be less also. As far as the 30 min travel time...could be hit or miss! Might be worth it though.
Good perspective, Derek.

Additionally - if you are planning on having more children, or want a financial cushion, you could set your price lower (say, 200K) and still possibly get what you want in either Buda or Kyle. That was our strategy: we took the savings, had another child, and invested the remainder.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
(per latest data available) in 2008-2009 Price per sf in 78749 declined what - 4.95%? compared to .014% in 78747..

btw, "SW Austin" is just as far from downtown as "Far South Austin" so let's not let the nomenclature skew our perception.

What do you mean by "peer" neighborhoods - do you mean other 30 year old neighborhoods of fixer-uppers?

The only guy I know in VAWO rents for 1300/mo, and just last month he had to help a stabbing victim at Escarpment/Convict Hill in front of his family. That's VAWO, isn't it?

17-Year Old Stabbed After B-Ball Game (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/top_stories/17-year-old-stabbed-after-b-ball-game-20100508-ktbcw - broken link)
Interesting, I had not heard about that stabbing, that kind of violence is extremely rare in that part of town. I believe that intersection is the Legend Oaks recreation center. There is nothing else around there where you could have a basketball game, unless it was at a hoop in someone's driveway. VAWO is farther East of there.

I find it odd that you emphasize that one very unusual stabbing in 78749 when historically, year after year crime rates in all of SW Austin have been much lower then anywhere in South Austin. 2009 Crime Statistics now available

One of the big advantages of SW Austin is that it is so easy to get downtown and to get on 290/71 to travel East to the airport or anything in that area. It is actually easier to get into downtown Austin from SW Austin then it is from most of South Austin. SW Austin has good access via 290/71 and Loop 1. Anyone traveling from most of South Austin has to drive farther to get onto any major feeder roads IH-35 or Loop 1 before they go downtown.

I own two houses in 78749, one a rental (which was my first home) and the house I now live in. Travis County tax assessments have increased every year since 1981 when I bought the first home, except this one. The assessed value of my home stayed the same. The assessed value of the rental went down for the first time that I can recall in 29 years.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-02-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Good perspective, Derek.

Additionally - if you are planning on having more children, or want a financial cushion, you could set your price lower (say, 200K) and still possibly get what you want in either Buda or Kyle. That was our strategy: we took the savings, had another child, and invested the remainder.
Thanks! I wonder if your resale value has held up on the kid!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDerek View Post
Thanks! I wonder if your resale value has held up on the kid!
hahaha.. that was pretty good! It's too bad I can't double-rep you...as for the family, I have different priorities, I suppose.

I think the best approach may be to rent for a while. I don't think any area of town (except maybe near the new track) will be experiencing great gains in the near future. Purchasing a house is a big decision not to be taken lightly or rushed. Perhaps renting somewhere, and spending weekends in different parts of town, like Oak Hill, San Marcos, Circle C, Manchacha, Belterra, Kyle, Buda, Onion Creek, CherryWood, Westgate, Far South, Bastrop etc. would allow the OP to get a good appreciation for the southern metro to find out what appeals specifically to them.

Last edited by jobert; 06-02-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
hahaha.. that was pretty good! It's too bad I can't double-rep you.

as for the family, I have different priorities, I suppose.
Yeah, some things we invest in require delayed gratification with lots of little payoffs along the way

~Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin