Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,212 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with charter schools in the Austin area?
We are planning a move this summer to the Leander/Cedar park area and I was wondering if charter schools operate the same way they do here.
The charter school here provides all materials at no cost, I teach her all the subjects at home, and once a month (or less if needed) we see her teacher at the school to turn in attendance, work samples and discuss any areas of concern.
I am looking to continue this type of schooling for my daughter.
Are there schools like this in the Austin area?
All the websites I've found for charter schools in Austin seem like the kids are at the school all day but I'm not sure that's right.... I just know I'm missing something.

I can't seem to find an answer to this simple question and I'm hoping someone can help me out....
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:51 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
It sounds like you are doing supervised home schooling. The term "charter school" does not refer to home schooling, but to a school that is publicly supported, but does not need to adhere to the rules that most public schools do. Often they are experimental schools. If you google "charter school definition", you will see various ways of defining the term. I think you are having trouble finding information because you are calling it the wrong thing. Try "supervised home schooling program". Sorry, I can't help you with information on that, but I here is a reference on the Austin Area Homeschooling group: Austin Area Homeschoolers

Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 AM

324 posts, read 1,311,834 times
I think the K-12 curriculum is offered in texas as a "charter at home" situation. i think there is a limit to how many kids can use it. explore their website, "K12.com". i used their curriculum when i homeschooled and LOVED IT.
btw--texas doesn't have near the requirements for homeschooling as many other states---in other words texas is very libertarian in their thoughts about schooling your own kids in your own way.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
Sterling School in Leander is sort of like that however it is not free and school is a few days a week with you teaching the other days of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: