Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:54 PM

36 posts, read 91,408 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We're a small family of 5 (hehe) looking to relocate to Austin from Southern California. We have 3 daughters ages 4, 2, and 3mos. My husband is currently looking for work in the Austin area.

We own a home here in Ca but will be renting it out until the market (hopefully) picks back up someday... So, for now we will be renting.

I have zero ideas as to what areas are good family areas. I thought this might be a good place to look.

I would like to be with in reasonable driving distance to a Roman Catholic parish with traditional/orthodox values and traditions.

Living near a place where I can expose my children to various forms of nature and natural play is a must. I'd like this to be something like woods, hiking, creeks, etc. It really can be as someplace like our own yard, given the right home with a yard. I saw a few homes on craigslist that backed up to greenbelts and/or woods (even some subdivisions).

The job my husband will be interviewing for will be blocks away from UT. I don't think he would like a terribly long commute so it would be nice to keep it under 40-60mins. We don't know yet how much this particular job pays but we're looking to stay under 1300/mo in rent.

So, if you have any suggestions or ideas I'd love to hear them!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Oh, and we will likely be homeschooling so school info is irrelevant. Would love info on any homeschooling communities, especially Catholic ones!

Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,832,836 times
Why Austin? What is the impetus for Austin Texas and not anywhere else in the world? I am just curious as to the decision making process. It will also help people answer your other questions if they understand your reasoning better.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 AM

My husband wants to carry a gun.

LOL, ok. Only half joking there.

We're so sick of CA. We are looking at other areas around the nation, we really aren't partial. He just was offered a job interview there so I thought I would do some digging if all goes well. He has been talking to a lot of people who have really great things to say about Austin.

We wanted to be in a more conservative state and although Austin is a more liberal city, it is the best city for us to be in job-wise for my husband in his field (creative, technical. etc). We have also heard that the economy there has't taken quite the hit that other cities around the nation may have. We also are a little "crunchy on the outside" for lack of a better term. We like living simply, naturally, holistically, etc. I have heard and read that Austin has some really great nature/outdoor activities with in minutes from the city and that is a huge draw for me.

Really, what it came down to is us being to fed up with this sorry excuse for a state we live in and my husband's desire to find another job. Taxes here are really high and cost of living is at about 120%. We also have to travel over an hour to see any good hiking destinations. So, when my husband started hearing good things about Austin, we've been doing some reading and research on the city and decided we'd like to move there or SA...

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Plus, I love breakfast tacos.

(I lived in SA and CC for a little over a year anout 7 years ago)

Old 06-07-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaE View Post
My husband wants to carry a gun.

LOL, ok. Only half joking there.

We're so sick of CA. We are looking at other areas around the nation, we really aren't partial. He just was offered a job interview there so I thought I would do some digging if all goes well. He has been talking to a lot of people who have really great things to say about Austin.

We wanted to be in a more conservative state and although Austin is a more liberal city, it is the best city for us to be in job-wise for my husband in his field (creative, technical. etc). We have also heard that the economy there has't taken quite the hit that other cities around the nation may have. We also are a little "crunchy on the outside" for lack of a better term. We like living simply, naturally, holistically, etc. I have heard and read that Austin has some really great nature/outdoor activities with in minutes from the city and that is a huge draw for me.

Really, what it came down to is us being to fed up with this sorry excuse for a state we live in and my husband's desire to find another job. Taxes here are really high and cost of living is at about 120%. We also have to travel over an hour to see any good hiking destinations. So, when my husband started hearing good things about Austin, we've been doing some reading and research on the city and decided we'd like to move there or SA...

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Plus, I love breakfast tacos.

(I lived in SA and CC for a little over a year anout 7 years ago)
Well, make sure to post in the SA forums as well. SA is a heavily Catholic town, so you should find a lot of advice on your home-schooling and church question. Perhaps some people there are even familiar with services like that here in Austin.

As far as the neighborhood question, I will leave that to one of our many realtors. They are much better versed than I.

I sort of wonder why people think Texas is more conservative than California. Is California really that liberal? I have never been there myself, but I wonder if "liberal California" is just a mirage. Sort of the way people think everyone in Texas is a cowboy and rides a horse to work. I mean, didn't Cali pass prop 8? Oh well, best of luck to you.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 AM

Our legislature is extremely liberal.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Our legislature is extremely liberal.
Okay.

I am not sure what that means. But if it is one of the reasons that is making you want to leave California, then make sure to heavily research the legislature here in Austin. I think you will find it to be "liberal" too. So Austin might not be quite the escape you think it is.

I have a friend from New York who is a hard core republican, and whenever I talk to him he is like "yeah, I should move to Texas. I like the way you think!" To which I reply "A new york republican and a texas republican are two very different things. I don't think you would be able to stomach some of the horrible things that southern republicans believe in. They aren't all soft and hugable like NY republicans are." My advice to a californian would be the same.

The only reason I bring it up is because you made these ideological issues seem like a big part of your wanting to move, and I don't want you to get here and be dissappointed because Austin is not as "conservative" as you thought it was going to be.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 AM

It means we pay a LOT in taxes, all the way across the board. Some of the highest in the country.

I understand what you are saying about Austin.

Cost of living is a big reason for moving.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,067,906 times
Quote:
It means we pay a LOT in taxes, all the way across the board. Some of the highest in the country.

I understand what you are saying about Austin.

Cost of living is a big reason for moving.
Be aware that, although Texas has no income tax, property taxes are exceedingly high.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Be aware that, although Texas has no income tax, property taxes are exceedingly high.
Yes, but homes are cheaper than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin