Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM

308 posts, read 1,468,000 times

Advertisements

I am using JDPower.com ratings for reference, but not all the builders are not on the list yet. Any place to check builder reputation? What about Meritage, Plantation, Scott Felder, David Weekley and Ryland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
What builder are you considering? Feedback on them might help you make a decision.

Last edited by trayanh; 06-08-2010 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM

316 posts, read 877,219 times
Builder ratings in Austin, sorted (http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings/home-builder-customer-satisfaction-ratings/austin/sortcolumn-1/descending/page-#page-anchor - broken link) by Overall customer satisfaction (from the JD Power website you provided).

This includes only the top 12 builders. They build ~50% of the new homes in the Austin market. Most are public companies and exist for the benevolence of their head honchos and shareholders. We almost chose Weekley, but decided against them at the last minute. While their reputation is top-notch, the edginess was missing

We are most likely going to go with Nalle Custom homes. They have been outstanding to work with. And yes, i found them from the reviews on this forum. It is also great to be using a local builder.

Last edited by pjoseph2; 06-08-2010 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Elaborated and included links

Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 89,669 times
Do your home work on pre-foreclousre. Make sure the home dont have any lien on it before you buy it. Remember who ever had the home had $$$ problems. So check public records. I am a investor and Almost got taken for a ride by the Cheap price on a house. Little did I know that there was a 1st lien on the property i was looking to purchase which would have given me 2nd postion on the Deed. I also would have had to pay off the 1st lien on top of buying the house if the deal would have gone through.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:29 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
It is so tricky to deal with the builder. There are so many "I got you" things.
It's tricky for sure, even with resale homes. It's all about the details either way, I hope you have a Realtor to help. The sales rep in the model home represents the builder, you should have representation also.Plus, it's free to have a Realtor represent you (on the buyers side). From time to time I've heard that buyers believe (mistakenly) that the builder will give a better deal if there's no buyers agent in the picture, the fact is the commission is built into the base price! So if you don't have representation the builder is licking their chops.

To the OP, there are Pros and cons either way as you've read. You just have to decide what's best for you. Get pre approved before you get started for sure.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlock31 View Post
Do your home work on pre-foreclousre. Make sure the home dont have any lien on it before you buy it. Remember who ever had the home had $$$ problems. So check public records. I am a investor and Almost got taken for a ride by the Cheap price on a house. Little did I know that there was a 1st lien on the property i was looking to purchase which would have given me 2nd postion on the Deed. I also would have had to pay off the 1st lien on top of buying the house if the deal would have gone through.
Not only are there 1st and 2nd leins there could be vendor and mechanics leins. That's what title companies check when a deal goes into escrow, or you can hire a company that will do the research for you (I use a great one) and if something goes wrong they're insured and have E&O insurance. The latter is the best way to go if you're buying foreclosures etc. Just remember, short sales take forever, if they happen at all. And Forclosure/Auction purchases off of the courthouse steps require cash or proof of funds immediately.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,438 times
Quote:
Doesn't title insurance protect me from this?
If the title company insures the title, then are they not responsible for paying off the liens?

Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 PM

Yes, the seller's 1st and 2nd mortgage leins. But when it comes to the title company doing Abstract of Judgement, deed chain (usually 50yr), vendor, mechanic lein searches things get tricky. They wont insure untill seller can pay off all leins with proceeds from the sale (or prior to sell). If a seller had a pool built for example and didn't pay, that pool builder, contractor or vendor can place a lein on the property. That lein will follow that property. When buying a house at auction you have to do your own research, or hire someone to do it for you.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 PM

I've thought there would be a lien involved in a pre-foreclosure, but just heard good stories that you may get a very good deal from a foreclosure. I saw a home with updated price this morning, and it said "it will be a short sale". Does it mean it is pre-foreclosure? Where can I find the public records of it? Right now, I just figured out how to check the county appraisal record.
Quote:

Old 06-09-2010, 10:17 PM

That's hard... but where to find a lot? It will be nice to build on my own, since I can always check different floor plans, and combine their good feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
Builder ratings in Austin, sorted (http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings/home-builder-customer-satisfaction-ratings/austin/sortcolumn-1/descending/page-#page-anchor - broken link) by Overall customer satisfaction (from the JD Power website you provided).

This includes only the top 12 builders. They build ~50% of the new homes in the Austin market. Most are public companies and exist for the benevolence of their head honchos and shareholders. We almost chose Weekley, but decided against them at the last minute. While their reputation is top-notch, the edginess was missing

We are most likely going to go with Nalle Custom homes. They have been outstanding to work with. And yes, i found them from the reviews on this forum. It is also great to be using a local builder.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
Hi, do you know where to find the pre-foreclosure/short sale homes?

It would be nice to get a house built in 08/09. I do have a laundry list of things. Do you have any suggestion of the area I can find these homes? I am close to downtown, so most likely I would look for one in the south. Mopac and I-35 are just horrible during rush hours.

Thanks!
Foreclosure information is available from Travis County. There are lots available in SW Austin if you are still interested.

I mentioned it in another thread:

Question for the Real Estate Agents on building a home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: