Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 PM

512 posts, read 1,754,867 times

Advertisements

A slightly different perspective on their COL

Cost of Living in Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:44 PM

Yeah, not the cheapest place in the world. We do know how to live very frugally. Heck, I don't make much, but I have enough to pay the mortgage and feed the kids, while the wife supplements that with some side work...all while living in the NY metro.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
It's still worth going to visit that's for sure.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
I live in Northern NJ, which has a high COL, I never trust those comparison sites, so I wonder if Australia is more expensive than NNJ.
OK. I've lived in NYC and NNJ (Bergen County) and Australia.

Whats more expensive/higher cost in Australia:
- clothes, food, dining out, domestic flights, broadband (and not as fast as the US), income tax, property tax, cars, petrol (ouch), Tim Tams (!)

Whats cheaper in Australia:
- private insurance premiums

Careers:
- IT salaries are much higher in the US...

But despite all, money isn't everything and there are many days when I mizz Oz.

Last edited by minibrings; 06-10-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
My wife would be amenable to a trip to Australia, at least for a long vacation, and she hasn't closed off the idea of a long term move, though it would likely be after a couple visits.
Sensible wife.

As you say there is a difference between the dream and reality.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone. Again, while I was aware of the high real estate in Australia, I wasn't aware of the COL difference for everything else. Like Minibrings said, money isn't everything, but it will be something to consider if I ever make the big leap.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, everyone. Again, while I was aware of the high real estate in Australia, I wasn't aware of the COL difference for everything else. Like Minibrings said, money isn't everything, but it will be something to consider if I ever make the big leap.
Australia ten years ago when I started going there, I thought it was a good bargain and felt at the time you could have a reasonable standard of living and especially you could afford a house.

Now Australia has the highest real estate costs in the world just about compared to incomes along with other expenses. One day that bubble will pop. I think it could be coming if China grinds to a halt and the world economy slows down.

If I move it wont be for a few years until I have a warchest of money and investments and only if I can get good work in Australia.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,107 times
Quote:
My wife would be amenable to a trip to Australia, at least for a long vacation, and she hasn't closed off the idea of a long term move, though it would likely be after a couple visits.

Where did you live in the US, and where at in Australia?
I spent just over a year in Chicago. Have lived in Melbourne and Brisbane here in Aus, and worked 3 months in Sydney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Spindle, what makes you want to move to the U.S.? What do you think is better here than there? I ask because my husband REALLY wants to move to your neck of the woods. I would like to hear from you what makes America a better choice to live, just out of couriosity.
As people have mentioned, cost of living and such for one. The driving factor is that I'm a little tired of certain aspects of Australian culture and find I'm generally more compatible with American culture ('if you don't like it, move' sort of thing). There are also more career opportunities and other aspects like that, as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I spent just over a year in Chicago. Have lived in Melbourne and Brisbane here in Aus, and worked 3 months in Sydney.

As people have mentioned, cost of living and such for one. The driving factor is that I'm a little tired of certain aspects of Australian culture and find I'm generally more compatible with American culture ('if you don't like it, move' sort of thing). There are also more career opportunities and other aspects like that, as well.
Isn't Australia a multicultural country? Or do you mean, if Australia has its own unique culture, is it more like the British culture with better weather?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM

359 posts, read 658,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Isn't Australia a multicultural country? Or do you mean, if Australia has its own unique culture, is it more like the British culture with better weather?

Think he means we are a pack of yobbos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand