Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times

Advertisements

That's because it's Adealide. It just far enough north, those pricks, that they avoid 90% of the summer cold fronts that murder all Melbourne's attempts at a summer. Which is why I hate em so much, they are only 3º further north, yet their summers are infinately hotter than Melbourne's. They get teh BEST heatwaves of all southern towns, even better than that fabled solar surface-analouge Perfff while we fail in every aspect. It's a sick mofo'ing joke, it is sick, demented, unhealthy, and a freaking crock of s....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §ab View Post
that's because it's adealide. It just far enough north, those pricks, that they avoid 90% of the summer cold fronts that murder all melbourne's attempts at a summer. Which is why i hate em so much, they are only 3º further north, yet their summers are infinately hotter than melbourne's. They get the best heatwaves of all southern towns, even better than that fabled solar surface-analouge perfff while we fail in every aspect. It's a sick mofo'ing joke, it is sick, demented, unhealthy, and a freaking crock of s....
I thought they get the best heatwaves, period. (32+ C/90+ F lows with no humidity )
Can you think of any towns that get better heatwaves in Oz?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:56 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
I believe seaside towns would be great for avoiding migraines b/c of all the salt and water vapor in the air that open up the sinuses. At least that's what my better half observes whenever we go to the beach. Northern Va has proven to be pretty terrible as far as migraines go, however.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I believe seaside towns would be great for avoiding migraines b/c of all the salt and water vapor in the air that open up the sinuses. At least that's what my better half observes whenever we go to the beach. Northern Va has proven to be pretty terrible as far as migraines go, however.
Could be lower levels of air pollution; few people live at sea.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Port Hedland, Marble Bar, Wydham, Kununurra, Broome, Karratha, Exmouth, Katherine, Birdsville, Paraburdoo, Nyang, Gascoyne Junction, Meekathara, Cloncurry etc...

That's why I said southern Aus. Well, Adelaide is however a boring little country town with 1.5 million people. After Canberra, it is the most boring and bland place in the country with nothing going for it. To illustrate how pathetic they are, they refer to a 1.5km long, 4 lane elevated road that's currently under construction as a "superway" LOLOLOL. Not only that, Adelaide still uses diesel trains for its public transport network (whoa talk about prehistoric) and they have mastered the art of building a single carriageway "freeway" then spending twice as much duplicating it into an actual freeway as it would've cost doing it in the first place. Adelaideoids reckon they have the best life in the world, when in reality they wish they lived in Sydney or Melbourne, but refuse to admit it although they'll bang on about how "well planned and quiet" the city is, despite the lack of freeways forcing one to stop at the inevitably red light every 200m. The only thing Adelaide still has in its favour is that the population is still mostly white, as it should be, unlike here in Melbourne. Maybe even all the indians and asians invading Melbourne seem to somehow know that Adelaide is a boring little backwater with nothing to do. Or perhaps all the petrol/gas station and fast food jobs have been filled.
Been in the CBD of Adelaide lately? All I recall is seeing a sea of Asian faces, although it's not fully representative because of the concentrations of unis in the Adelaide CBD, Adelaide is about as multicultural as any of the other cities nowadays.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Port Hedland, Marble Bar, Wydham, Kununurra, Broome, Karratha, Exmouth, Katherine, Birdsville, Paraburdoo, Nyang, Gascoyne Junction, Meekathara, Cloncurry etc...
Wouldn't all those northern towns have higher dewpoints with their heatwaves?

I just thought it would be neat to experience 38 C/100 F at midnight with a depoint under 10 C/50 F, perhaps under 4 C/40 F.
All of those towns are probably barely large enough to be called "towns" anyways.
Adelaide at least has the best heatwaves for anywhere with more than 100,000 people.
I checked; Townsville, Darwin, Alice Springs... Adelaide still gets hotter lows.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Wouldn't all those northern towns have higher dewpoints with their heatwaves?

I just thought it would be neat to experience 38 C/100 F at midnight with a depoint under 10 C/50 F, perhaps under 4 C/40 F.
All of those towns are probably barely large enough to be called "towns" anyways.
Adelaide at least has the best heatwaves for anywhere with more than 100,000 people.
I checked; Townsville, Darwin, Alice Springs... Adelaide still gets hotter lows.
Not necessarily, dewpoints even in these northern towns get down to 5C or even lower if the airmass is originating from the deserts to the SE. Ive seen dewpoint readings in Darwin as low as -15C. However, at the same time, I can remember a 27/39 reading in Port Hedland.

The warmest lows tend to occur in Paraburdoo, it seems there is atleast 1 night with a low of 33-35C per summer with several of 29-30-31C and the temp is often around 36-38C at midnight.
Example of a typical January in Paraburdoo Paraburdoo, WA - January 2010 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201001/html/IDCJDW6105.201001.shtml - broken link)

jan 2009 http://www.australianweathernews.com...07/2009_01.HTM

suck on that Adelaide.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
I too suffer from migraines. When I lived in Hawaii, was the only time that I did not get them. I believe that it was climate. The right amount of humidity. My doctors thought that mine started in my sinuses and so the humidity helped. When I moved to Denver, I got them about 3-4 times a month! I now live in Seattle, and don't get them as much, but I still get them

Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily, dewpoints even in these northern towns get down to 5C or even lower if the airmass is originating from the deserts to the SE. Ive seen dewpoint readings in Darwin as low as -15C. However, at the same time, I can remember a 27/39 reading in Port Hedland.

The warmest lows tend to occur in Paraburdoo, it seems there is atleast 1 night with a low of 33-35C per summer with several of 29-30-31C and the temp is often around 36-38C at midnight.
Example of a typical January in Paraburdoo Paraburdoo, WA - January 2010 - Daily Weather Observations (http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201001/html/IDCJDW6105.201001.shtml - broken link)

jan 2009 07 East Gascoyne: Climatic data for January 2009

suck on that Adelaide.
I forgot about the Northern Dry Season.
Some places like Kunnannurra average 31/13 C in July (high/low) so I expect they might get a few scorchers with "no humidity."

Darwin has had a dewpoint of -15 C?
I find I dislike dewpoints below -5 C here because my lips start to chap, even with a high near 20 C.
Maybe if the dewpoint is -15 C while the air is 30+ C I might be sweating enough to avoid chapping.

I suppose if I was more specific, (southern hemisphere summer/Northern Wet) I could have been correct about Adelaide having the best heatwaves.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I too suffer from migraines. When I lived in Hawaii, was the only time that I did not get them. I believe that it was climate. The right amount of humidity. My doctors thought that mine started in my sinuses and so the humidity helped. When I moved to Denver, I got them about 3-4 times a month! I now live in Seattle, and don't get them as much, but I still get them
^^ Sounds like OP should try Cairns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand