Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Does this mean that the mining tax and ETS are forthcoming?
Doubt it, the greens want the mining tax in its origional form, and would not even listen to Kevin Rudds ETS policy.

We have a government, the million dollar question is will they be able to Govern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Supposedly Windsor and Oakeshott stated they chose the ALP because the Coalition would likely go to an early election and win. If they think a 2 seat majority government - formed by an uneasy coalition no less - running a full three year term is better than running for a brief eight months is better for 'stability,' they're not particularly bright.
exactly.
The Daily Telegraph headline "still not voted in by the people"

Does this mean she can't move into the Lodge yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Does this mean that the mining tax and ETS are forthcoming?
It might be raised - Labor hold more seats in the Senate but less in the House of Reps... it has to get passed by the House of Reps first...

Anyone correct me if I am wrong ...

Old 09-07-2010, 06:40 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
I'm sure lots of big crippling taxes will be forthcoming. They've got to pay for their spendathon somehow.

Apparently we'll be able to change the climate with one of these taxes.

And grow and increase an industry by taxing it more than normal

Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I'm sure lots of big crippling taxes will be forthcoming. They've got to pay for their spendathon somehow.

I know from their website that the Greens want to push the business tax up as if having some of the highest business tax rates in the world isn't discouraging investment in Australia enough as it is.

I was watching a press conference held by Brown and Brandt right after the election and a reporter asked Brown some question regarding the market going into panic mode due to the unsure future. Brown's response was something along the lines of telling the investors to "act more mature."

Anyway, I want to know what the betting odds of Oakshotte and Windsor getting re-elected in their respective divisions are.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Yeh we found this out the hard way in Queensland, when Anna Bligh conviently found out the state was broke and she would have to sell off the states assets, two weeks after she was reelected.

Wonder what surprises Jullia has up her sleve for us?

Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Yeh we found this out the hard way in Queensland, when Anna Bligh conviently found out the state was broke and she would have to sell of the states assets, two weeks after she was reelected.

Wonder what suprises Jullia has up her sleve for us?
I always found this hilarious because the sell-off doesn't bother me however she's hurting the very people whom form her core voting base. It was just so sneaky the way she did it, though. Congrats to her party and the treasury for not leaking it before that election, though.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
exactly.
The Daily Telegraph headline "still not voted in by the people"

Does this mean she can't move into the Lodge yet??

It might be raised - Labor hold more seats in the Senate but less in the House of Reps... it has to get passed by the House of Reps first...

Anyone correct me if I am wrong ...
The LNP hold 35 Senate Seets the ALP 31 and the greens 9, the ALP are not doing anything anywhere withhout green support.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
The LNP hold 35 Senate Seets the ALP 31 and the greens 9, the ALP are not doing anything anywhere withhout green support.
Wonder if this might not be so good for them in the long-term.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
right. but the greens want 40% tax, labour reduced it.... so either the greens will bend to the reduced rate or labor increases it.
Then it gets shot down in the senate... hmmm
I can't see much getting done in the next few years at all.

At least the greens and libs are against that damn filter.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
right. but the greens want 40% tax, labour reduced it.... so either the greens will bend to the reduced rate or labor increases it.
Then it gets shot down in the senate... hmmm
I can't see much getting done in the next few years at all.

At least the greens and libs are against that damn filter.
Unless the filter comes into play if Labor and Greens want to do a sly deal on something else? You know .. give us the filter if we give you X.

But yeah, I don't see much getting done. Waste of time government with Gillard as the pseudo-PM who didn't get voted in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand