Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM

17 posts, read 52,204 times

Advertisements

Hi all ,
I would like to ask people who are in new Zealand , how can I get an offer of employment for a new Zealander employer and is there any agencies can do this
Waleed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,444,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walead2002 View Post
Hi all ,
I would like to ask people who are in new Zealand , how can I get an offer of employment for a new Zealander employer and is there any agencies can do this
Waleed
Which country are you coming from?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,639,560 times
In my experience, unless you have some really outstanding and majorly in demand skills, most employers are going to tell you they'll talk seriously once you are a permanent resident on your own in the country.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 AM

6 posts, read 18,973 times
Come to NZ on a tourist visa, get a job and then apply for work visa, PR. They very rarely consider you if you are not here.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 PM

80 posts, read 125,582 times
Getting a job offer is the hard part, getting a work permit is easy by comparison.

Employers in New Zealand are being made to offer work to NZ citizens over the heads of immigrants.

Whatever you do don't fall into the trap of accepting a temporary work visa, or work to residence.

Many people are finding that immigration won't renew temp work permits when they expire and are forcing employers to recruit Kiwis. I've heard of people trying to apply for permanent residency as a way round this but they are getting refused.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 PM

84 posts, read 256,608 times
They're being made to offer work to citizens first? That's news to me, can you provide a source?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 PM

I'm surprised you've not heard of this before now.

You could google "Jobs for Kiwis" to get an overall feel for the present situation.

More specifically you could read the recent warning put out by the Philippines about Work to Residence.

Or this which appeared in the news a few days ago.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM

84 posts, read 256,608 times
You said employers are being made to priorities kiwis...I can't find any evidence of that.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Emilie Shi obviously did.

"Philippines consul-general Emilie Shi says Immigration New Zealand is not doing enough to warn would-be applicants about the difficulties of finding a job or telling them that Kiwis will be given preference by employers. "Immigration New Zealand continues to say what a great place this country is to come live and work in, but they cover up the fact that it is very difficult to find a job here, or that they will be treated as second-class workers under the scheme," Ms Shi said.

"The work-to-residence is a myopic policy, because even if these migrants prove their worth in their jobs, employers cannot renew their contracts when their work permits expire, and have to first offer their jobs to Kiwis."

I'm sure employers would love to retain and recruit the best staff, regardless of where they're from. Especially if they can pay them less than they'd pay a local.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 52,204 times
Many thanks to all of you. I am egyptian and i have american bachelor degree in education . I thought it will be easy to find teaching position in new zealand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand