Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
I would love to have a Canadian summer
however ...you are quite right ...I couldn't handle any other season !
It always catches me off guard when people say Canada would be nice without Canadian winter.
Toronto's weather so strongly seasonal, rather than a 4-season climate, it feels more like a 10 season climate.

October isn't "severe" as we seldom drop below -3 C, but it's typically gross anyways. (cloudy, windy, frequently "brisk" or colder )
Hard frosts (lows below -3 C) again become rare as we approach mid-April.

Late-Spring is usually nice and early-Autumn isn't usually too terrible. (9-32 C arvos?)

Mid-Spring can have severe moments (windchills below -10 C)
while mid-Autumn tends to get some bone-chilling days. (highs under 6 C with 30+ km/h winds and dark clouds )

Early-Spring and Late-Autumn can see windchills below -20 C or a single, summerlike day at 22 +C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM

72 posts, read 237,124 times
Are real estate values out of control in Auckland like they are in most U.S. cities?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Real estate in New Zealand is some of the most expensive in the world.

This is a great site if you are interested;

Auckland Homes for Sale - Realestate.co.nz

Old 08-19-2010, 07:59 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Real estate in New Zealand is some of the most expensive in the world.

This is a great site if you are interested;

Auckland Homes for Sale - Realestate.co.nz
Agree - what are the underlying issues? Supply vs demand? Overseas investors? Less restrictive bank lending?

Funny as I remember when I lived in NZ pre 2000 property was viewed as relatively cheap.

Had a quick look at that site - makes Sydney seem even more expensive!

Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
My first trip to NZ later this year - the Cook Islands!
If everyone hates the cold, why not move there.
Just curious, as this is an NZ territory - is migration freely interchangeable?
Places like Norfolk Island, and even Lord Howe Island off NSW -are extremely difficult to gain residency here - almost impossible.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 AM

35 posts, read 100,906 times
Good question Derek. tbh Im not actually sure. Im certain there must be limits on free movements between the two countries. Well, technically Cook Islands, just like Niue and Tokelau are territories of NZ they are still self governing.

IM sure youll enjoy your time in the Cooks. It is a paradise on earth I reckon.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM

80 posts, read 125,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Places like Norfolk Island, and even Lord Howe Island off NSW -are extremely difficult to gain residency here - almost impossible.
I guess it's because it's pretty hard to find work there? and rising sea levels don't do much to make the islands an attractive long-term migration destination.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The Cook Islands aren't really part of New Zealand. They're just dependent on NZ assistance in some areas. Same deal with Niue, Tokelau, etc.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:43 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
I guess it's because it's pretty hard to find work there? and rising sea levels don't do much to make the islands an attractive long-term migration destination.
I imagine the only NZers working in the Pacific islands would be accomodation proprietors or professionals working on a fixed-term basis. For example, when I was in Samoa I saw a caucasion man supervising electrical workers, presumably he was a NZer or Australian.

The threat posed by rising sea levels is exaggerated to a ridiculous extent. The Pacific islands are mostly volcanic with very steep gradients -- move a kilometer inland and you'll be about 100 m above sea level. Even if the most pessimistic projections come to pass, you won't have anything to worry about.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
I feel people are too pesimistic about New Zealand. Yes, Australia has better weather, higher wages and better houses. But not everyone can go to Australia. Australia is a very hard country to emigrate to, and if your skill isn't needed at that precise moment you will get kicked out.

New Zealand might not be as good as Australia, even though it clearly beat Australia in terms of nature. If you like nature like I do, then that is a pro. New Zealand wages are low, but wages in many European countries are lower. There is a reason why 17% of Swedish people live in big houses while 74% of New Zealanders does. And even though they have the same wages after tax, resturant prices cost 25-35 NZ dollar in Sweden. In Auckland I can get a dinner for 10 dollars.

Also, kiwis are very friendly. They have quite few restriction on their economy compared to many other countries. They don't have a tax rate above 50%, the highest level is 35% with ACC. There is no 35 hours max working week, like in France. Stores are open on sundays. You are not forced to join and finance a labour union that will fight against your interests. And police will actually come and help you if you call them. Oh.. I forgot to mention. New Zealand has freedom of speech.

So why do people come to New Zealand, because it's better than their home countries and they can't immigrate to Australia. I will also mention that NZ has a much brighter future than many European countries does. Their birthrate of many European countries are very low and their immigration policies are horrible and dangerous.

Last edited by Camlon; 09-14-2010 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand