Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM

317 posts, read 528,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
No, you do your research. I have some maori blood in me and have some maori friends and family. They confirm this meaning.....as has some literature I have read on the subject.
Did my research..buddy..and you are in the wrong.
By the the tone of posts you seem to be very anti maori
anyways prove to me that pakeha is a derogatory term
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
No, you do your research. I have some maori blood in me and have some maori friends and family. They confirm this meaning.....as has some literature I have read on the subject.
In that case you should know that Maori is always capatilised when writing in English.
Maori blood ? iwi, hapu ? whakapapa ?
You read the literature in reo did you ? why do I have my doubts.
Unlike you dear boy I am fluent in reo and you are wrong.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I did mine and yes it is a derogatory term and people should stop using it.
A visitor to NZ and you want to tell the native born what to do.
Best of luck with that dear boy.
Besides, you speak no reo so you would not understand a word I would be saying when I am using that tongue.
Rather sad that I speak more Hawaiian than any US Haole I have meet.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Besides, you speak no reo so you would not understand a word I would be saying when I am using that tongue.
No and with that attitude I sure would not be interested in learning it either.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Why would a haole speak Hawaiian? Even if the haole was kama'aina they would not need to know Hawaiian to feel aloha aina. And if you know reo (unlike the MAJORITY of Maori who do not speak reo) you have an advantage in understanding Hawaiian as its the same language grouping.

But we digress from the sujbect of this thread. Some say pakeha is derogatory, some don't. My argument is its used in NZ government communiques so it probably isn't derogatory in its present form. Language does evolve. So quelle surprise, I tend to agree with Rugby.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
The most commonly accepted definition seems to be that 'pakeha' are simply non-Maori which would then broadly refer to the European settlers. How offensive a term is is a personal matter, not one of obscure etymology no one is really sure of anyway. Nz rugby has the personal right not to be called a pakeha, just as any other group has to right to not be called a certain name, but there are some who will disagree with him and it is also their right to have their view respected.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 PM

20 posts, read 44,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Oh, so is that like Aboriginals here and their term for us pale-faced Aussies: White C**t ??
I suppose, in all fairness, the opposite had been used to them on occasion.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:45 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester51 View Post
I suppose, in all fairness, the opposite had been used to them on occasion.
I'm sure it has but you wouldn't dare say that as blatantly and openly as they do. To older women, children, on a packed train, crowded supermarket, ...

There was a court case where a girl was charged with a hate crime for calling another girl a 'white c***' but the judge threw it out. As expected, but I doubt the outcome would have been the same had it been in reverse.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM

80 posts, read 125,915 times
Quote:
Nzers of fair skin are not Pakehas.
For those that are not aware, this is a word maori people use to describe people of fair skin.
Now the problem is that the translation of the word pakeha means "white flea". If you are happy to be called a white flea then so be it. If not, like most, then the next time you see pakeha on a form or someone says it to you, correct them.

We shouldn't have to put up with this BS.
Isn't the real BS that New Zealanders feel the need to divide themselves up into Maori and Pakeha?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
Isn't the real BS that New Zealanders feel the need to divide themselves up into Maori and Pakeha?
This might explain why they introduced the "New Zealander" category as an ethnic group identification in the 2006 Census.

Many people are getting sick and tired of these divisions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand