U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:55 AM

7,460 posts, read 10,341,933 times

Advertisements

Nzers of fair skin are not Pakehas.
For those that are not aware, this is a word maori people use to describe people of fair skin.
Now the problem is that the translation of the word pakeha means "white flea". If you are happy to be called a white flea then so be it. If not, like most, then the next time you see pakeha on a form or someone says it to you, correct them.

We shouldn't have to put up with this BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 AM

35 posts, read 77,910 times
Cool, I'll bite.

As an immigrant Ive always thought this term a bit strange. I have wondered if there was a negative connotation about it. Whether this is true or just my assumption I dont really know. One thing that I find ironic is that if you question the term you can be judged to be racist.

I prefer New Zealander or Kiwi, regardless if your background is Samoan, British, Dutch, Maori, Korean, Punjab, Tongan etc etc etc. Im hoping that with the passage of time the term pakeha will be looked upon as a pc embarrasment.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,073,463 times
Oh, so is that like Aboriginals here and their term for us pale-faced Aussies: White C**t ??

Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 PM

9,293 posts, read 17,933,166 times
Why does the NZ government use the term pakeha themselves?

NZ statistics uses the term pakeha in some of their research:
Labour market overview 2003 - Statistics New Zealand

I've seen it in a parliamentary bill..

I've even seen it on the NZ Herald...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,073,463 times
Then the NZ govt is dumb. I have heard the word Pakeha a bit, mostly here on this forum. I did not know the literal translation was insulting. Problem is, some of the avid fans of PC are self-loathers who reckon that it's okay to continue the name calling, as long as it's directed towards people with fair skin. Two wrongs don't make a right, except to the PC-addled. Can't atone for the past by continuing the past wrongs in reverse.

It'd be like Obama putting in their senate bills stuff about honkies and white trash. Or our own govt talking about Skips. Childish and stupid.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,605,933 times
Personally I object to the term.

It is a name bestowed onto a group of people by another group for one thing. Secondly its true meaning is ambiguous anyway. And thirdly I object purely on the basis that the PC mob seem to favour the use of it.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 PM

296 posts, read 386,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Nzers of fair skin are not Pakehas.
For those that are not aware, this is a word maori people use to describe people of fair skin.
Now the problem is that the translation of the word pakeha means "white flea". If you are happy to be called a white flea then so be it. If not, like most, then the next time you see pakeha on a form or someone says it to you, correct them.

We shouldn't have to put up with this BS.
So if you're not maori how do you know what the term pakeha really means?
The word 'Pakeha' is to denote someone from British / European descent and has got nothing to do with derogatory names like white flea, white pig or white dog.
Do your research

Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
The word 'Pakeha' is to denote someone from British / European descent and has got nothing to do with derogatory names like white flea, white pig or white dog.
Do your research
No, you do your research. I have some maori blood in me and have some maori friends and family. They confirm this meaning.....as has some literature I have read on the subject.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Why does the NZ government use the term pakeha themselves?

NZ statistics uses the term pakeha in some of their research:
Labour market overview 2003 - Statistics New Zealand

I've seen it in a parliamentary bill..

I've even seen it on the NZ Herald...
Ignorance.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 AM

9,809 posts, read 17,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Do your research
I did mine and yes it is a derogatory term and people should stop using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand