U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM
 
787 posts, read 1,513,570 times
Reputation: 476

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True and the OP is a guest in Oz.... one should follow local rules to be polite..
Nothing wrong with saying "Fine thanks," though, it's just a step down from being friendly yet still in the polite zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2010, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,958,322 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Do you by any chance come from America? I don't mean this as an insult, but rather as a cultural thing that I noticed when I lived in America is that not once when I went shopping did the person behind the checkout counter ask me how I was and seem willing to actually have a conversation. It was all mere formality. Whereas, in Australia you can actually get a chatty 'checkout chick.' Or maybe it was just the area that I shopped at.

I don't even put the "and" in there. I just reply "Good. You?" or moreover "Good. Yourself?"
Must have been your area........although I admit they seem to say it more to those they know as regular customers.

I tend to do the "Good, you?" thing as well LOL, so maybe that IS an Aussie thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 AM
 
327 posts, read 427,990 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Do you by any chance come from America? I don't mean this as an insult, but rather as a cultural thing that I noticed when I lived in America is that not once when I went shopping did the person behind the checkout counter ask me how I was and seem willing to actually have a conversation.
I'm Norwegian, actually. In all my years living in Norway I can't recall ever being asked how I'm doing by for example a cashier, yet in Australia they ask it every single time, with no exception. A pox on your politeness and friendliness! I wonder if introverted Aussies ever wear t-shirts saying "Fine, thanks, and you?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,595 posts, read 22,927,566 times
Reputation: 3487
I thought this was a generic way to greet in the English speaking world.

Unique to Australia?
It sounds no different than Canada.

Asking how are you is almost expected, and at least here it isn't neccessarily meant as much, other than
"...I'm showing you some attention, but I hope nothing bad has happened to you lately..."

If it doesn't exist or is rare in the USA, perhaps it's a British trait that we inherited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Australasia
371 posts, read 688,175 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
I think I'll just keep going with "Fine thanks" without any follow-up question. It seems so unnecessary and fake to ask someone how they are, if it's someone I don't know or care about. Seems likely that people I ask will only give me a senseless, fake answer in return in any case. Social rituals are so lame; perhaps I should just reply with "Shut up, slave!".
'Fine thanks' will be OK.
'Shut up slave' will get you blacklisted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,501,879 times
Reputation: 17724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I thought this was a generic way to greet in the English speaking world.

Unique to Australia?
It sounds no different than Canada.

Asking how are you is almost expected, and at least here it isn't neccessarily meant as much, other than
"...I'm showing you some attention, but I hope nothing bad has happened to you lately..."

If it doesn't exist or is rare in the USA, perhaps it's a British trait that we inherited.
It would seem rather abrupt & cold to not say Hi, how are you? or How ya going? before going about business. Just walk up to a counter and start ordering your goods/services? I don't think I've ever done that. Not here, Canada or the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 AM
 
327 posts, read 427,990 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
It would seem rather abrupt & cold to not say Hi, how are you? or How ya going? before going about business. Just walk up to a counter and start ordering your goods/services? I don't think I've ever done that. Not here, Canada or the US.
In Norway it's uncommon to even say 'hi' to the cashier. You walk over and place your groceries on the counter. The cashier processes them. Then the cashier say "Bag?", followed by "Receipt?". Then you leave, after nodding yes or no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 AM
 
67 posts, read 95,221 times
Reputation: 38
Really? Yeah, like they said, in America too, we say "hello, how are you, good morning/afternoon/night. It's part of good customer service I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,501,879 times
Reputation: 17724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
In Norway it's uncommon to even say 'hi' to the cashier. You walk over and place your groceries on the counter. The cashier processes them. Then the cashier say "Bag?", followed by "Receipt?". Then you leave, after nodding yes or no.
Interesting. Quite different to here. Thanks for pointing that out

Different culture here though. You may wish to be a little more chatty or else be considered 'up yourself' or rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 AM
 
9,326 posts, read 18,996,964 times
Reputation: 4398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Interesting. Quite different to here. Thanks for pointing that out

Different culture here though. You may wish to be a little more chatty or else be considered 'up yourself' or rude.
funny as one of my best mates in Adelaide was from Norway and I met at least 6 other Norwegians.. they were friendly and chatty and had no worries responding. They adjusted just fine.

So Vichel.. How are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top