Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,725,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Then why do people build homes?
So the massive insects and crocs don't getcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,657 times
Quote:
What does fibro look like?

Fibrous Cement is great stuff. Think Asbestos, and then build a house out of it..

Fibro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with the safer Fibre Cement though.

Fiber cement siding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I forgot that there was a difference.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-27-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Fibrous Cement is great stuff. Think Asbestos, and then build a house out of it..

Fibro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with the safer Fibre Cement though.

Fiber cement siding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I forgot that there was a difference.
Thanks

Asbestos doesn't pose a danger when it isn't being cut.
The problem is when it's broken, tiny fibres become air-borne which then can damage your lungs.

I've heard of insulation being sold for rooves in Oz.
Couldn't someone use the same material for their walls,
and for modifying an older home, build secondary walls to hold in the insulation,
so you just lose a bit of interior square-footage?
From other threads, it sounds like Australian homes don't have many "power points" so re-wiring would be easy.

How do Australians measure interior space?
Canadians still use sq ft.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks

Asbestos doesn't pose a danger when it isn't being cut.
The problem is when it's broken, tiny fibres become air-borne which then can damage your lungs.

and for modifying an older home, build secondary walls to hold in the insulation,
From other threads, it sounds like Australian homes don't have many "power points" so re-wiring would be easy.

How do Australians measure interior space?
Canadians still use sq ft.

I know, but it's still nasty stuff to deal with and while it's completely banned here, it still appears in older houses.

Yes, we have insulation batts in our celings and you could probably put it in the walls aswell, but I'm Not sure if the building code would allow it? Our homes mainly have a thin aluminium barrier in the walls, to reflect some of the heat from outside (fine in summer, but can get cold in winter).

It's sq metres. We're all metric, unless you were born before the switch?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-27-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I know, but it's still nasty stuff to deal with and while it's completely banned here, it still appears in older houses.

Yes, we have insulation batts in our celings and you could probably put it in the walls aswell, but I'm Not sure if the building code would allow it? Our homes mainly have a thin aluminium barrier in the walls, to reflect some of the heat from outside (fine in summer, but can get cold in winter).

It's sq metres. We're all metric, unless you were born before the switch?
Thanks for the warning.
Asbestos used to be common because it was fire-retardent.
At least a fibro house should fair well in a bush fire.

Yeah, I'll have to look into that.

Nope, but I don't want to give away my specific age on a public forum though.
It seems most "newly" metric countries mix-and-match when to use metric.
Metric is used for all official purposes, but imperial is common for a lot of unofficial uses.
Like I'd need to look at my driver's licence to tell you how tall I am in centimetres.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the warning.
Asbestos used to be common because it was fire-retardent.
At least a fibro house should fair well in a bush fire.

Yeah, I'll have to look into that.

Nope, but I don't want to give away my specific age on a public forum though.
It seems most "newly" metric countries mix-and-match when to use metric.
Metric is used for all official purposes, but imperial is common for a lot of unofficial uses.
Like I'd need to look at my driver's licence to tell you how tall I am in centimetres.

I meant, when Australia switched in the 1970's.

Imperial is still used in some unoffical cases (bolts, TV's etc..), but it's becoming less and less common, as the 'metric-only' generations take over. There's been very little opposition to metricfication in Australia.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-27-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Imperial is still used in some unoffical cases (bolts, TV's etc..), but it's becoming less and less common, as the 'metric-only' generations take over. There's been very little opposition to metricfication in Australia.
Canada also switched in the 1970's.

In Canada, there's been little change with respect to "metricifcation" since the 1980's.
Most young Canadians do not wish for more metric usage; pleasant indifference as are our opinions about the Monarchy.
Is the feeling mutual, or are most young Aussies wanting to act "Euro"?
Australia has a lot of government bodies perpetually making metrification changes?

Go to any licenced establishment in Canada,
and hard liquor is always sold by the ounce (oz) whether as a shot or in a cocktail.
Beer and wine is usually/often advertised by mL though.
Funny isn't it? Yet I've never heard this discussed in Canada, for or against.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:

I thought we switched in 1966, shortly after we got the new decimal currency?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,725,719 times
Quote:
I think the loss would be too much, like in bedrooms which are often very small. A lot of kids' bedrooms here fit a single bed, a dresser and maybe a bedside table. And it's still rather tight. A big feature in some houses is when they advertise "double" bedrooms. Allows perhaps a double bed, a dresser and maybe a bedside table.

Different styles of building houses here. Built-in robes (closets) didn't really get popular til the 80's as well. Lots of big rooms elsewhere, some of it useless and wasteful, like "Games Rooms" - an outdated feature big in the 80's when, for some reason, builders reckoned everyone had a pool table Most people just stick couches in there and make it a TV/Family Room. And Formal Lounges (Living Rooms) and Formal Dining Rooms are also, thankfully, falling by the wayside. Home Theatres are the big thing, which seems more practical than a Games Room.

Quote:
That was probably me complaining about that! I've never owned so many power bars and extension cords in my life as I do now! Most of the powerpoints, if not all, are on exterior walls, which are the double-brick ones. The wiring's in the wall space. If you want a powerpoint on an interior wall, which is single-brick, they have to gouge out a channel to put the wire in, from the powerpoint up to the roofspace. Unlike in Canada where you just cut through the gyproc and attach it to a stud and the wiring is all in there, exterior or interior. Oftentimes, I'll go to houses where they didn't gouge a channel but just put a cover over the wire, so you see it. Ugly but not much choice. Friend of mine had a bunch of extra powerpoints installed in her house - $100 each! and she had to fix up the mess and repaint.

Lots of little differences. No big deal really.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I think the loss would be too much, like in bedrooms which are often very small. A lot of kids' bedrooms here fit a single bed, a dresser and maybe a bedside table. And it's still rather tight. A big feature in some houses is when they advertise "double" bedrooms. Allows perhaps a double bed, a dresser and maybe a bedside table.

Different styles of building houses here. Built-in robes (closets) didn't really get popular til the 80's as well. Lots of big rooms elsewhere, some of it useless and wasteful, like "Games Rooms" - an outdated feature big in the 80's when, for some reason, builders reckoned everyone had a pool table Most people just stick couches in there and make it a TV/Family Room. And Formal Lounges (Living Rooms) and Formal Dining Rooms are also, thankfully, falling by the wayside. Home Theatres are the big thing, which seems more practical than a Games Room.
Okay, so maybe putting it outside, then adding another "veneer" to cover it would be better.
If home size is measured from the inside, carefully crafted, no one would know.

Quote:
That was probably me complaining about that! I've never owned so many power bars and extension cords in my life as I do now! Most of the powerpoints, if not all, are on exterior walls, which are the double-brick ones. The wiring's in the wall space. If you want a powerpoint on an interior wall, which is single-brick, they have to gouge out a channel to put the wire in, from the powerpoint up to the roofspace. Unlike in Canada where you just cut through the gyproc and attach it to a stud and the wiring is all in there, exterior or interior. Oftentimes, I'll go to houses where they didn't gouge a channel but just put a cover over the wire, so you see it. Ugly but not much choice. Friend of mine had a bunch of extra powerpoints installed in her house - $100 each! and she had to fix up the mess and repaint.

Lots of little differences. No big deal really.
Most powerpoints are outside?

I'm recalling a "...You might be a Redneck If..." joke
"...If you help your cousin move his refridgerator and the grass underneath it has turned yellow..."

So do builders expect people leave toasters and microwaves hooked up on the front porch?

Yet another reason why I'm surprised Australians even bother to build houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand