Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,158,858 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is time we copied Denmark with their citizenship ideas, with them if a Dane takes citizenship with another country they automatically lose Danish citizenship.

Want to leave NZ and move to another country and take their citizenship no problem, but, if you decide your loyalty should be greater to another country why should you be rewarded by keeping NZ citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
I don't think many expats actually take foreign citizenship. I have relatives who have been living in Australia for 20+ years without gaining citizenship there. But they fully intend to come back for their retirement.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:59 AM

80 posts, read 125,877 times
I never knew that about Denmark, you learn something new every day!

Are you sure that this is the best forum to be asking this question though, wouldn't the World or Legal Immigration forums be more applicable?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
There are very few countries that don't allow for dual citizenship and there is no good reason why NZ should stop it. There are many benefits having DC. Both my brother and sister have their Irish citizenship and it allowed extensive travel and work privileges that otherwise would not have been afforded to them.

I will be gaining my US citizenship next year, why should I have to renounce NZ? I was born there, lived there all my life, paid taxes, and have family there.

I think this is just another one of nzrugby's anti immigrant rants more than a serious discussion on the pros and cons of DC.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
I never knew that about Denmark, you learn something new every day!

Are you sure that this is the best forum to be asking this question though, wouldn't the World or Legal Immigration forums be more applicable?
Denmark actually has a serious problem with all the smart and productive people leaving the country for places like Germany and the USA, due to high taxes. A 63% tax bracket kicks in very low and basically there are a whole bunch of welfare bums that never work or contribute. So the productive people subsidize that.

So if Denmark is casting off people like that, not too wise ultimately. For all the UN and other leftist organizations describing Denmark as a paradise, like NZ they have serious issues.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,049 times
Not sure how this benefits NZ at all. By allowing Kiwis to retain their citizenship it still gives them the option of returning further down the line and potentially taking their (overseas) acquired wealth and knowledge back with them.

I do not think it would discourage Kiwis to leave NZ in the first place either (if they want to move, they'll move anyway and being denied their NZ citizenship would just leave a sour taste).

Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Maybe it is time we copied Denmark with their citizenship ideas, with them if a Dane takes citizenship with another country they automatically lose Danish citizenship.

Want to leave NZ and move to another country and take their citizenship no problem, but, if you decide your loyalty should be greater to another country why should you be rewarded by keeping NZ citizenship.
Well China is the same way as well as North Korea. What will that accomplish? The fact is the real problem is the brain drain of educated kiwis leaving NZ. Instead of faulting people for taking out foreign passports, why not start with the NZ government finding ways to encourage the development of businesses that will grow and provide jobs for kiwis so that they don't have to cross the Tasman for higher wages in Oz (and elsewhere). If NZ stopped migration it would be a dying country.. losing population steadily every year. Has anyone seen where NZ ranked in GDP? It is far behind Oz, Singapore, Hong Kong; its even behind Equatorial Guinea of all places. Embarassing.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Has anyone seen where NZ ranked in GDP? It is far behind Oz, Singapore, Hong Kong; its even behind Equatorial Guinea of all places. Embarassing.
This is true: List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About the only "developed" country we're ahead of is Portugal.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:06 AM

790 posts, read 1,732,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Has anyone seen where NZ ranked in GDP? It is far behind Oz, Singapore, Hong Kong; its even behind Equatorial Guinea of all places. Embarassing.
It's a reflection of the population's mindset.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
It's a reflection of the population's mindset.
I don't believe that. I think it is a series of ineffective government since the very early 1980s and the fact we are so isolated from the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand