Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 09:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,667,833 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to Australia for the first time in my life this December. I'll be flying Qantas from LAX straight into Sydney. I also called up Qantas and requested a window seat on the right side of the aircraft.

From which direction do planes usually land at Kingsford Smith Airport?

I really want to get a good glimpse of the Sydney Harbour, the Sydney Opera House, the Sydney Cricket Ground, and ANZ Stadium during the plane's approach to the airport.

I've noticed that Kingsford Smith Airport is situated on a bay. So I was wondering if there would be any chance that I could see much of the CBD from the air as the plane descends into Sydney.

So do you Aussies think I'll be able to spot these sights as my flight touches down and/or takes off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Any help?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
they usually come in from the north ... you will see Sydney Harbour, I think you see ANZ stadium etc.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Yes if it's clear you should see the city and the harbour in all it's glory. What time are you arriving?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Flying to sydney from Brisbane (From the North) the planes normally do a massive big loop over the city giving a great view before landing.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes if it's clear you should see the city and the harbour in all it's glory. What time are you arriving?
At 8:00 in the morning.

I requested a seat on the left side of the aircraft, as I'm predicting that Sydney Harbour will be on my lift as the plane is approaching Sydney Airport.

I was wondering if my prediction will be correct.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
At 8:00 in the morning.

I requested a seat on the left side of the aircraft, as I'm predicting that Sydney Harbour will be on my lift as the plane is approaching Sydney Airport.

I was wondering if my prediction will be correct.
should be.
8am is a good time.

Hope its a clear day for you.

How long will you be in the city for? You can always go up Sydney tower or do the bridge walk

Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
should be.
8am is a good time.

Hope its a clear day for you.

How long will you be in the city for? You can always go up Sydney tower or do the bridge walk
Yes, that's something to do...or if you want to take it easy go to the top of the AMP Centrepoint Tower (tallest building in Sydney). Or a helicopter ride (if you didn't get a good view and you're really desperate).

Planes often do a big loop before they land so if you don't see it the first time round you probably will as it goes round.

There are a million different views of the city, the harbour, the bridge and the opera house. Some nice spots to check it out from include the Botanic Gardens near Hyde Park (check out Mrs Macquarie's chair), Taronga Zoo (the ferry journey is very scenic too), North Sydney, Manly, the Gap in Vaucluse, and Darling Harbour.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
How long will you be in the city for?
For only 3 days.

I'll be in Sydney town for the U2 concerts at ANZ Stadium.

Before the concerts, I plan to do some sightseeing. I want to see the Sydney Harbour, the Opera House, the Sydney Cricket Ground, as well as Bondi Beach.

Any suggestions on how to get in as many Sydney sights as possible in such a short time?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
For only 3 days.

I'll be in Sydney town for the U2 concerts at ANZ Stadium.

Before the concerts, I plan to do some sightseeing. I want to see the Sydney Harbour, the Opera House, the Sydney Cricket Ground, as well as Bondi Beach.

Any suggestions on how to get in as many Sydney sights as possible in such a short time?
I'll see ya there

Sydney Harbour / Opera House you can do in one hit. The Rocks are right on Circular Quay as well and are a bit interesting...

Regarding the SCG - make sure it is open otherwise you will just see the outside of the stadium.

you can take the sydney explorer, not sure how much it is but that should get you around the city

There is also darling harbour - there is often events on around there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand