U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,887,979 times

Advertisements

Both are capitals of their respective countries, both have about the same metro population (400,000), Canberra is growing quite fast (not sure about Wellington), and isn't as boring as it once was. For those who are familiar with both, which do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 PM

2,613 posts, read 1,926,382 times
Climate-wise, Canberra is a lot more "four-seasonal" than Wellington and a lot sunnier. I would prefer it for that reason alone. I've been to Wellington but not to Canberra. Wellington is a dump.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 AM

35 posts, read 55,099 times
I used to live in Queanbeyan and for work I frequently visit Wellington, so I can say Im qualified to answer.

There's no completition!

WELLINGTON ROCKS!

We Australians always bag Canberra and some of the criticism might be unfair. Its obviously personal preference anyway. For me Canberra is a sprawly featureless dull town without heart soul or life. Even ACTs liberal sex and drug laws dont make it any way exciting. If you are comparing it to Wellington forget about it. New Zealands capital is vibrant, thriving, busy, sophisticated and has some real cool subculture scenes.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:16 AM

25 posts, read 34,623 times
Freaks and alternatives will find Canberra boring.

If you are after a safe, stable, clean environment to raise a family, then it is a very good choice.

The winters are quite cold, but it's a great place to live overall. If I could change only one thing about Canberra, it would be to give it a more tropical/rainfall type of climate, it's quite dry and difficult if you like gardening etc.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,653,335 times
I would pick Canberra over Wellington because atlthough it's colder in winter,
the rest of the year looks warmer, and the entire year is sunnier.
Imho, Canberra actually gets "a Summer" but Wellington is like-it-or-not, stuck in "perpetual Spring."

I'd rather deal with a few bad winter days and enjoy the rest of the year,
than to have an easier winter, but no exciting weather, like 35+ C with sun.

Depending on Wellington's beaches,
geographically their coastal location might be more appealing than Canberra's location up in the hills/mountains.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:47 AM

Wellington's extreme high is a gobsmackingly low 30.6C. There are hill stations in Scotland that have reached that.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wellington's extreme high is a gobsmackingly low 30.6C. There are hill stations in Scotland that have reached that.
^^ Perpetual Spring... "never" (seldom?) summer.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ Perpetual Spring... "never" (seldom?) summer.
Here in Perth it doesn't feel like summer until the weather forecast reads into the 30s.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Here in Perth it doesn't feel like summer until the weather forecast reads into the 30s.
For the 31 S parallel, I would agree with that. (similar to southeastern US summer )
Oh, so you meant with Wellington's record of 30.6 C, once in a blue moon they get a day of summer?

Warm daily means (avg between daytime high and morning low) and warm morning lows can feel like summer without high daytime temps.
Sydney would be a good example of this with an avg high of 26 C, but a very-mild avg low of 19 C.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
For the 31 S parallel, I would agree with that. (similar to southeastern US summer )
Oh, so you meant with Wellington's record of 30.6 C, once in a blue moon they get a day of summer?

Warm daily means (avg between daytime high and morning low) and warm morning lows can feel like summer without high daytime temps.
Sydney would be a good example of this with an avg high of 26 C, but a very-mild avg low of 19 C.
It's relative I guess, in a cooler climate 22-23C feels like summer. I find their average January top 20.3C (about 2C cooler than Hobart or London) pretty shocking too, given Wellington is at a lower latitude (closer to equator) than Hobart is. We're also talking about a city with a similar July high as Christchurch (11.4C), with something like 22 days of gale-force wind a year, and an average wind speed of 22 km/h (according to the NIWA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand