U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 PM

112 posts, read 316,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
lol. Do you also have a wife anchoring you down to Oz, or is it just me?
No I dont have a wife I am a single woman and it is illegal to marry same sex in Australia and besides I dont "bat" for that team! And no your not anchoring me down either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM

158 posts, read 174,551 times
I want to know why you don't pay much tax now & why you'll be paying 50% tax when you get here! Sounds like you'd be better off staying where you are or getting a better accountant!

$200K US is approx $222K AU. It's a decent income & you'll be able to live easily on it, depending on your lifestyle. Rent will take a good portion of it. Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au
The general cost of living here is much higher than the US. Clothing is very expensive as are groceries.
How old are your children?
Elite private schools can cost up to $30k / year!!
I had a friend from the UK & they had to pay about $5000 / year just to go to the local public school.
Some schools are exceptionally hard to get into & you need to be on waiting lists from birth or for years to get a place. Public schools have to take you if you live in the area.
Day care centres can be just as hard to get into as elite private schools!!

That's about all i can think of for now.

Oh, Melbourne is lovely & you'll have to commit to an AFL team ASAP. It's the local religion, forget church, the MCG is the local place of worship!
AFL - The official site of the Australian Football League - AFL.com.au

Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,494,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
...Elite private schools can cost up to $30k / year!!
Whoa! $30k ... per YEAR??? Isn't that what Harvard charges?

That's ridiculous. I think the whole "elite" school thing has gotten out of hand. I mean, what does that really buy you anyway? I can understand maybe $6-7k per year but 30k???? Nah! I thought the $12k/yr they're charging here was crazy enough. But 30k/yr ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
...I had a friend from the UK & they had to pay about $5000 / year just to go to the local public school.
I believe that would be because they were here on some sort of temporary visa? I'm pretty sure if you have PR, you don't have to pay for public schooling.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 PM

I agree Vichel It's completely ridiculous. You can't tell me that $30K buys you the best education. It may get you the best facilities but that's where it ends (I went to one of these schools so do feel able to comment!). That said, no way I'd send my children to our current public high school. Thankfully there are many happy mediums!!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 PM

112 posts, read 316,497 times
Imo America has better clothes and are a lot cheaper. I buy my daughters clothes online from the states. In consideration that our seasons are opposites, this time of year a lot of online stores want to clear out their summer stock and I want to buy summer stock so I now buy her clothes from USA sites. By the time that I calculate the exchange rate and the shipping rates I either pay about the same as I would here in Australia or I pay less but I still get more clothes that are unique! P.S This is a secret dont tell anyone Some websites to check out is www.lassoo.com.au and www.cataloguecentral.com.au which are catalogue sites where you can download all sorts of catalogues like furniture, clothes, department stores, supermarkets etc that should give you an idea of prices. You can also do grocery shopping online www.colesonline.com.au and www.homeshop.com.au however the prices on those sites are a bit more expensive than going into a supermarket yourself. Hope that helps P.s in relation to an AFL team you must go for Essendon They didnt do well this year but we will have a new coach soon (dont believe anyone else if they barrack for another team trust me they are the best team ever)

Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Is this thread for real?
I mean, Britney, for god's sake, scrapes by on only $750,000 a month U.S.
How does the girl do it?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
P.s in relation to an AFL team you must go for Essendon They didnt do well this year but we will have a new coach soon (dont believe anyone else if they barrack for another team trust me they are the best team ever)
You're a clever girl!! Now that Knight's gone let's hope next year will be better!!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 PM

787 posts, read 1,512,217 times
All this AFL talk is making me nauseous.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,477,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
All this AFL talk is making me nauseous.
You love it.

I love the fact that Essendon are imploding.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 AM

787 posts, read 1,512,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
You love it.
urgh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
and besides I dont "bat" for that team!
well you'll never know until you try :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand