U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:56 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,484,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Don't the chips give you enough potato? lol

Sometimes I take a bit of batter from the fish and eat it with the chips, lol.
haha
its something about the potato cake .... I've never been a dim sim girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,497,652 times
Quote:
Really? That's interesting to hear. I assumed the variety of 'candy' in the States would put us to shame.
No, I think Aussies beat Americans and Canadians when it comes to lollies. Not chocolate bars, but the individual ones that have been mentioned in this thread. The variety is huge here. I know there are specialty "candy-stores" in the US where they've got all sorts of candies in bins but it's more a novelty thing, and almost old-fashioned, not as common like here where every corner deli/milk bar has them. The US beats us when it comes to varieties of gum, chocolate bars, potato chips, soft drinks (pop), etc.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
No, I think Aussies beat Americans and Canadians when it comes to lollies. Not chocolate bars, but the individual ones that have been mentioned in this thread. The variety is huge here. I know there are specialty "candy-stores" in the US where they've got all sorts of candies in bins but it's more a novelty thing, and almost old-fashioned, not as common like here where every corner deli/milk bar has them. The US beats us when it comes to varieties of gum, chocolate bars, potato chips, soft drinks (pop), etc.
Interesting, we have a thing for soft chewy lollies too, I think. Interesting to hear what everyone's faves are. I like those starburst babies - the ones with the liquid centres, anacondas, killer pythons, sour worms, some of the natural confectionary lollies, Allen's raspberries and pineapples, to name a few, lol.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 AM

112 posts, read 316,632 times
I love jelly bellies not so much of yesteryear but they are very yummy!! I personally believe that American chocolates are better than aussie ones esp the reeces peanut butter and hershey kisses thought that should be another thread!!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM

973 posts, read 1,404,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
This is an odd name

potato cake makes much more sense to me.

ohh lemon sherberts... my grandfather had a stash of these for me....
Oh yes forgot that its only potato scallops in NSW.

Its a pity that Pascals, The Natural Confectionary Company and Allens have not made it to the US.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,038,278 times
Anyone else remember Fonzies?
Samboy chips also no longer exist in the east, or are as rare as hen's teeth.
There are also a heap of chocolate bars, biscuits and ice cream bars that no longer exist, eg Aero bar, Gaiety biscuits and Funny Feet ice cream bar.
Heres a reference to Funny Feet, there are also Google Images.
http://www.childofthe1980s.com/2008/...ls-funny-feet/
There also used to be a chocolate Gaytime ice cream bar.

Last edited by Derek40; 09-10-2010 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: addn

Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM

112 posts, read 316,632 times
Gaytime he he dont tell the pc police about those or they be banned! But they are yummy though! You can still buy gaiety in supermarkets! Remember ovalteenies? (we are the itsy bitsy teeny weeny chocolate flavoured ovalteenies ((something something)) and ready to munch") They were in a little orange packet they were yummy!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,742,485 times
Quote:
Really? That's interesting to hear. I assumed the variety of 'candy' in the States would put us to shame.
We have ten different brands of the same thing...basically.
Anything different doesn't seem to last long.
In the supermarket,there is an entire huge aisle of chips...and most are the same few flavors(getting a little better)

Old 09-12-2010, 06:49 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
Gaytime he he dont tell the pc police about those or they be banned! But they are yummy though! You can still buy gaiety in supermarkets! Remember ovalteenies? (we are the itsy bitsy teeny weeny chocolate flavoured ovalteenies ((something something)) and ready to munch") They were in a little orange packet they were yummy!
Gaytimes will always be around, along with it's name. I'm wondering how long gaytimes have been around, I'm guessing not before 'gay' came to have it's present meaning? Regardless of the politics of it's name it's one of the best ice creams out there. Especially when the biscuit coating is still crisp, not all soft and soggy like it sometimes gets (especially ice-creams that have melted and been re-frozen ).

I remember ovalteenies too. They weren't bad. As for the ovaltines drink, I've always been a Milo drinker.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:21 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,215,366 times
The ads even make fun of the name.

YouTube - Golden Gaytime

I love Milo. Do you prefer it Hot or Cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand