Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM

112 posts, read 363,375 times

Advertisements

As we were having a discussion about redskins it got me thinking about lollies, chips, drinks of time gone by. I remember that you use to get a bag of lollies for 5 cents! and you could buy 2 lollies for 1cent etc. Remember TAB (or elle mcpherson running down the beach in her togs), the orange drink Tang (I think you can still buy them) Remember Red Baron tomato sauce, unsure if it was the same brand but you use to get a tomato sauce in a rocket bottle - great marketing! curly wurlys - which was a caramel chewy bar, milkos (similar to redskins), toobs (I know they made a comeback), sunnyboys and super doopers (fond memories on a hot summers day having a sunnyboy yummo), mello yellow drink, make a shake it was a milkshake that you got from a can (the ad went "grab a glass of milk and make a shake make a shake") Samboy chips, That is all I can think of at the moment what can you remember?
Oh yes something else I remember was going to the local milk bar and asking for lollies with a big selection, you could get fish n chip and actually sit down in the shop and eat them!!! the milk bars are dying which is sad because you really got to know your local milk bar people by name now its 7 11, and service stations!!

Last edited by coming2america; 09-07-2010 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: wanted to have more to say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM

158 posts, read 215,666 times
A favourite topic of mine.

I saw Sunnyboys & super doopers in the supermarket yesterday! Infact I have both in my freezer right now!

I love cobbers & musk sticks, they just don't make them right anymore, nothing tastes better than the ones that came from under the glass top counter at the local lolly shop or milk bar. The ones in plastic bags just aren't right.
Chocolate cigarettes called f a g s! are totally un pc these days!!
hum bugs!
Redskins & curly wurlys are still around.
Ruffles! Salt & vinegar were the best!

Did you know they just stopped making pollywaffles?????? My husband was so shocked he bought all he could find. We had to do a sweep around the local supermarkets & petrol stations when the news hit!

Lolly gobble bliss bombs made a come back as well. Our local surf club was giving them out a few years ago. Far too sweet though.

Remember getting fish & chips wrapped in newspaper?

I remember getting a mars bar & can of fanta for 50c after little athletics.

My (current lol) dream is to open an old fashioned milk bar with booths & lolly jars but with GOOD coffee!

That's all i can think of for now. I may be back. now i'm hungry...

Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
yeah Redskins, what was the apple flavoured one.. was it toffee apple? It was green & red ....

Musks - they've got no taste now.
Wagon Wheels - I use to buy these from the milkbar and they were much bigger

I use to like those lollypops that made music (well kinda)

yum!
I use to like going to the milkbar and the owners knowing who I was .....

Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Great trip down memory lane.

Yes, the fish & chips wrapped in newspaper.

Musk sticks, redskins, bananas, cobbers, spearmint leaves, milk bottles, teeth ... LOL! The deli down the road sells a lot of old fashioned lollies, the ones still around. I haven't bought any in years. I might just do that today

Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Push pops
"hey dont push me push a push pop"!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
Chocolate cigarettes called f a g s! are totally un pc these days!!
Do you mean those lollies called "****" that looked like a lit cigarette? I don't think they were chocolate...

also, isn't there a chocolate called Berny Beatle that you can only get in show bags?

*edit* oh and eucalyptus drops and those sour bombs? These are all "tuck shop goodies"

*edit 2*

Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
As we were having a discussion about redskins it got me thinking about lollies, chips, drinks of time gone by. I remember that you use to get a bag of lollies for 5 cents! and you could buy 2 lollies for 1cent etc. Remember TAB (or elle mcpherson running down the beach in her togs), the orange drink Tang (I think you can still buy them) Remember Red Baron tomato sauce, unsure if it was the same brand but you use to get a tomato sauce in a rocket bottle - great marketing! curly wurlys - which was a caramel chewy bar, milkos (similar to redskins), toobs (I know they made a comeback), sunnyboys and super doopers (fond memories on a hot summers day having a sunnyboy yummo), mello yellow drink, make a shake it was a milkshake that you got from a can (the ad went "grab a glass of milk and make a shake make a shake") Samboy chips, That is all I can think of at the moment what can you remember?
Oh yes something else I remember was going to the local milk bar and asking for lollies with a big selection, you could get fish n chip and actually sit down in the shop and eat them!!! the milk bars are dying which is sad because you really got to know your local milk bar people by name now its 7 11, and service stations!!
Ah, the taste of childhood!

Curly Wurly's are still around, aren't they? They were good, used to be like 50 cents . That was awhile ago. I remember milkos, loved them, like milk bottles. Chicos are still around but they remind me of childhood (choc flavoured jelly babies for those not in the know). Samboys made a comeback I thought?

Remember Dunkaroos? Kangaroo bickies with a chocolate/strawberry dipping thing, and Le Snack? Crackers with a cheese dipping sauce. What about all the breakfast cereals you can know longer get. Corn puffs, anyone? And Uncle Toby's haven't made those super crunchy muesli bars for years! (as far as I know). You know, the ones you can lose a tooth eating.

Don't remember mello yellow or tang, maybe before my time. One thing I see less of is Chiko rolls, even in Fish'n'Chip shops.

Oh and as for drinks, I remember different flavoured milks like spearmint, egg nog used to be more popular than now. And that fruit drink Oasis - was like only 5% fruit juice or something, but so refreshing! The other day I saw a delapidated deli which still had an ad for 'Oasis', lol.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:37 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
Yeah, What is it with the lack of Chiko Rolls now?

Twinpoles? That icypole with the two sticks, that you could split and share with people. Haven't seen any for years.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 09-08-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
I remember a lot of these and miss it all.

I used to stop on my way home from school and get a Chokito and a Solo...

When we were over there earlier this year I couldn't get enough of Solo,nothing really like that over here in the USA.

We had a milk shop right across from our primary school,used to og over with our lunch money and spend it all on lollies.

Used to go round to the local fish and chip shop every friday for dinner,miss that too.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 PM

You can actually buy chiko rolls in the frozen section at coles supermarkets and cook them at home yourself. I love chiko rolls they are so bogan but so good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand