Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 AM

4 posts, read 10,075 times

Advertisements

hello im from the US and i just wanted to know what its like to live in Australia?
job wise minimum wage?
people what are they like friendly etc?
schooling for kids and college is it expensive or is it free?
what do you need to move to Australia?

where the best place to move in Australia?

is the criminal rate low out there?
if you have a criminal record how does that effect living and jobs?

what is the weather like out there?what hoildays do yal have out there and when are they celebrated which months?

i just want to know the basic of how life is out there .. so if you can please be honest i would greatly appreciate it and thanks so much so reading..

Last edited by LC1983; 09-08-2010 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 AM

158 posts, read 214,748 times
OK, google may be your friend here for specifics. Read this forum as well.

Minimum wage is $15/hr but depends on your age & job/industry as well. $26 boost to minimum wage - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

People are friendly if you are friendly to them. Very much like the US & Canada. Expect your fair share of idiots as well.

Schooling, public schools are free for Australian citizens but depending on your visa may incur a fee for a "foreign student". Private schools for Australians cost up to $30K / year (30K being the most elite end of the spectrum). Foreign students pay more, check individual www's for exact costs.

What are you referring to - what do you need top move to Australia?? Visas etc? Check the govt www.

Best place to live is highly personal. I say Sydney of course, but it's also very expensive.

Crime rates vary depending on where you live. We certainly do not have the gun culture of America. Pretty much the only people who have guns are the police, criminals, farmers & i don't know, shooting club members?

Criminal record, depends on your crime & the time since. That's the sort of thing you need to get right before you come. Don't want to start moving here only to get to customs in Australia to be told you need to go home.

Weather, Australia is a HUGE country with different climates. Tasmania = freezing Darwin = tropical year round. Bureau of Meteorology - Home Page

Holidays - Christmas December; Easter March or April. Anzac day & Australia Day January etc etc again google is your friend.
Public Holidays - australia.gov.au

You need to give a little more info about what you like to do & what job you are looking for.

Overall Australia is a brilliant place to live with loads of opportunities. BUT it's a hell of an expensive place to live as well.
I suggest you look at the local newspapers of each area you want to live. That can give a good insight to daily life.
Sydney = Sydney Morning Herald - Business & World News Australia | smh.com.au Melbourne = The Age - Business, World & Breaking News | Melbourne, Australia
Realestate = Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au (be prepared to hand your wallet to your REAgent on arrival if you're thinking of Melb or Syd!. )

Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,948,327 times
Do an advanced search of this forum and narrow down your questions to specifics..
Your questions are too broad. As for your criminal record, I'd check the government web site if you even qualify for migration as you will need to submit police reports to apply. Or hire a migration agent.

Good luck... and SydneyBeach is right.. GOOGLE GOOGLE GOOGLE.. and secondary Wiki. I personally like Adelaide or Melbourne.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
rjs

60 posts, read 217,509 times
I too, ( American) looked into the possibility of emigrating to AUS.

POINTS.POINTS.POINTS.....

Getting into Australia is ALL......based on a POINT system, and not very likely for the majority of Americans.

check it out...

Department of Immigration & Citizenship

Old 09-08-2010, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,075 times
ok well thats for all that you have said ill do more research too... so the hoildays fall on the same day as the US, i was reading that xmas in australila came in the summer? so i guess thats not true then?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,047,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC1983 View Post
ok well thats for all that you have said ill do more research too... so the hoildays fall on the same day as the US, i was reading that xmas in australila came in the summer? so i guess thats not true then?
Christmas is December 25.
That is summer here.

New Years Eve = Summer

Easter = start of Autumn = 4 days off.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:07 PM

158 posts, read 214,748 times
Quote:
LOL, You DO have a lot of reading to do.

Lonely planet is also a good www.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,808,656 times
I'm curious, is it harder for an Aussie to immigrate to the US or vice versa?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,712,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm curious, is it harder for an Aussie to immigrate to the US or vice versa?
Well Aussies "can" apply for the Diversity Visa, and if you win I can't see immigration being any simpler. Not very good odds though of winning.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:19 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,712,110 times
Quote:
Yes, Australians also celebrate President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day and of course Columbus Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand