Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM

41 posts, read 130,138 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to relocate to a place with nice Tropical climate, along with good and interesting business opportunities and the right balance between being laid back and open minded along with a desire to seek out new horizions in life ( as in entrepreneurial/ seek new adventured spirit. I also would like warm ocean waters to swim in.

I have been to Honolulu, Hawaii several times, and despite the stereotype of Honolulu only being about Palm Trees, Luas, and surfing there actually has been some business development in the past decade with a mini-silicon valley, several 500 million dollar startups, and a few interesting business accomplishments. Checkpoint software actually started in Honolulu. While it still has that gentle Hawaian feel and warm oceans to swim in, there is an emerging mini San Diego within the business world. However, it is still a small place.

I am also considering Sydney which has a dynamic business sector, and excellent warm water for swimming and surfing. However, I hear that it is becoming a bit too much like New York City( many fake posuers and status types).

While more dynamic than Honolulu, and more laid back than Sydney, Queensland is an interesting possibility. However, the beaches are quite far from Brisbane CBD and I am not sure what Surfers paradise or the Sunshine Coast are like. I do hear that there is an emerging business sector with some new Biotech startups.

My concern about Queensland is that being half Asian, but a Yank will I face racism.

I guess to sum it up, of the following places where would you live if you wanted the best balance between the possibility of great business opportunities along with the ability to swim in tropical oceans on weekends and bodysurf in warm waves. The choices are Honolulu, Hawaii, Queensland, Australia, and Sydney, Australia.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
I don't don't think too many here have been to all of those places so you may not get the answers you are looking for. However, I can attest to the fact that you won't experience any more or less racism in Oz than you would in the US -- that I can confirm as a person of mixed race that has lived in both countries, and Canada. Actually the only place I experienced an overtly racist act -- was in California. So throw the racism concern aside. However, if you want to swim year round you won't get that in Sydney; winter temperatures range from 7/8 - 16ish centigrade. Not exactly cold by north american standards, but not beach swimming weather either. Can't comment on Brissy winter/water temps. But it gets warmer and more tropical the further north you get.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Southest QLD seas still wouldn't exactly as warm as Honolulu's.

Racism?
You might be luckier than most people being part-Asian in Honolulu;
a lot of Hawaiian residents don't like white people (ha'ole)
I think Asians as a whole out number any other group in Hawaii, including native Hawaiians,
but the native Hawaiians don't seem to mind Asians. (as much?)

Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
a lot of Hawaiian residents don't like white people (ha'ole)
You think so? I've never seen that actually. I had rellies that used to live in HNL (my Mom was born on Kaui'i) and when I used to visit I did not really notice any anti-haole sentiment. They may make a comment about tourists, but this is normal for anyone that lives in an area where you see lots of tourists acting at times stupid. They'll whinge at people who show disrespect, but again, that would nto be different from any other place.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You think so? I've never seen that actually. I had rellies that used to live in HNL (my Mom was born on Kaui'i) and when I used to visit I did not really notice any anti-haole sentiment. They may make a comment about tourists, but this is normal for anyone that lives in an area where you see lots of tourists acting at times stupid. They'll whinge at people who show disrespect, but again, that would nto be different from any other place.
Well I've read surfer biographies from guys raised in Hawaii (not "Hawaiian" only people from that ancestry are "allowed" to call themself that ) and heard stories like how growing up was tough for a guy in Kauai; many kids would pick on them, sometimes beat them up, just because they were one of the very few white kids in school.

At best, being white and living in Hawaii would draw as much attention as being American in Australia.
Maybe Honolulu itself is not that bad, but in less-urban or rural areas it's probably uncomfortable.
I've even seen a show on the Disney Channel set in Hawaii where in school, white kids were getting picked on for being white.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:58 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
If it were me and I was leaving the USA to work in another country this is how I would look at it

Am I taking the job in Sydney for the long term, and I will be able to secure the proper documents to remain in Australia for that time? Or am I planning on only remaining in the job for a limited time, and then I would have to find another job elsewhere. What country do I plan on staying in Australia, or return to the USA and where will I be working there? Am I going to have adequate housing, that is going to be affordable for me and my family. Or will it be disrupted during my time there because of cost or other issues.

How will this move impact my children long term, and what country do I want them to be growing up in? Will I have proper access to health care and education for my kids. I imagine in Australia you would be fine in those categories

If the job in Australia didn't work out am I financially stable enough to withstand a loss of income, and where am I going from there?

You definitely have some big decisions to make, but I'm sure you will add it all up and make the best one. Best of Luck.

I admit it sounds like a lot of fun. I'd probably want to jump at the chance myself, if I was still in my working years.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:36 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

You definitely have some big decisions to make, but I'm sure you will add it all up and make the best one. Best of Luck.
As this thread is 12 years old I'd assume the OP has made his decision.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:49 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
As this thread is 12 years old I'd assume the OP has made his decision.
Thanks for telling me. I guess a 12 year old thread showed up and I didn't realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand