Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times

Advertisements

Don't like to generalise, but I'm wondering if anyone with experience has noticed trends between these three nationalities. From the limited experience I've had, Canadians seemed more reserved and less aggressive than Americans, friendly in a polite sort of way but it's a bit hard to make friends. Americans seem more out-going, but more highly strung than Aussies, although Americans probably say the Midwest are probably more friendly than Sydneysiders. Americans actually seem a lot more easy going/less prone to getting aggro than Aussies, except maybe those from the Northeastern states. Aussies have a different sense of humour - more about taking the ****, while Americans like to make wise-cracking jokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,693,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Aussies have a different sense of humour - more about taking the ****, while Americans like to make wise-cracking jokes.
How are the two different?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How are the two different?
Americans like to dish off witty one-liners, while in Australian humour is more observational/down to earth.

Which is why there are no Aussie sit-coms but lots of sketch show/'slice of life' type comedies.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,693,206 times
Quote:
Americans like to dish off witty one-liners, while in Australian humour is more observational/down to earth.

Which is why there are no Aussie sit-coms but lots of sketch show/'slice of life' type comedies.
I think Canadians are used to a blend of comedic influences.
Apparently a lot of British humour is lost on Americans and vice-versa.

I would still need specific examples to try to notice what the differences are.
Got any youtube links to show?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think Canadians are used to a blend of comedic influences.
Apparently a lot of British humour is lost on Americans and vice-versa.

I would still need specific examples to try to notice what the differences are.
Got any youtube links to show?
Shows like 'Fast Forward', 'Full Frontal', 'The Sketch Show (Aussie'), Kath'n'Kim, The Games, Summer Heights High, We Can Be Heroes, Hamish and Andy type humour, vs typical American sitcoms like Just Shoot Me or Everybody Loves Raymond.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
OK I've lived in all 3 countries. To start it IS hard to make generalizations.

I used to think Canadians were more polite; until I encountered Toronto rush hour traffic where its definitely NOT polite or reserved. People seem more relaxed in the maritimes or BC.

Americans being more aggressive? Perhaps to the outsider NYorkers seem more aggressive, but on 9-11 I saw the true nature of what wonderful people New Yorkers truly are. Also, If one were in San Diego, Savannah or Charleston someone would not think that Americans were aggressive.

So my answer is.. I did NOT see any real trend and that people are just people.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,694,188 times
^^^ Yeah, what mini says ^^^

You ask me, Aussies are the more aggressive. But then there's different forms of "aggressive". American aggressiveness seems more funnelled to business and the old "get up and go" culture of getting in there and getting things done, versus ours which is more directed toward the person. Just simmering sometimes, below the surface. Less of either in Canada.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
^^^ Yeah, what mini says ^^^

You ask me, Aussies are the more aggressive. But then there's different forms of "aggressive". American aggressiveness seems more funnelled to business and the old "get up and go" culture of getting in there and getting things done, versus ours which is more directed toward the person. Just simmering sometimes, below the surface. Less of either in Canada.
Yeah, alot of Aussies aren't as laid-back as others think. For the most part it's just the stereotype. I think culturally Australians are more like the British in temperament than any of the North Americans, especially Londoners.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Quote:
Yeah, alot of Aussies aren't as laid-back as others think. For the most part it's just the stereotype. I think culturally Australians are more like the British in temperament than any of the North Americans, especially Londoners.
How do Londoners differ from other Brits?

Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,032,670 times
Quote:
Shows like 'Fast Forward', 'Full Frontal', 'The Sketch Show (Aussie'), Kath'n'Kim, The Games, Summer Heights High, We Can Be Heroes, Hamish and Andy type humour, vs typical American sitcoms like Just Shoot Me or Everybody Loves Raymond.
You forgot the best one: The Late Show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand