U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:16 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,510,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
"Iced" tea?

An Indian co-worker of mine told me that where he's from
they believe drinking hot tea helps make you feel better when it's very muggy outside...
I don't understand that logic, but it at least seems it wouldn't affect tea's popularity.

*Isn't tea popular in the Middle East?
Yeah I heard that one too, when I was in Egypt. Middle of the baking desert, feeling like you're about to die and they serve you hot tea. Apparently because you're feeling hot outside, if you drink cold it'll make you feel hotter because of the contrast in temperatures, or some such rot. Try as I might, it didn't work that way for me. Neither did tepid Coke.

Ice-cold beer does the trick almost instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,770,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Qatar was the PC choice.

As far as our bid ... that excrutiating video with the cartoon roo .... OMG! Cringe, cringe, cringe!

Yes, Qatar will certainly have to loosen up for the soccer fans. Not just the drinking but all that infidel flesh being shown. I wonder if that South American lady with the big hooters will be there?
I thought it was very cheesy and lame. They decided to go back to their roots and use "traditional" characters and ideas rather than try something risky.

And what is it with Paul Hogan? He looks like Max Headroom with all that poorly done cosmetic surgery .

Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,973,292 times
Australia didn't present well with the use of tired old cliches having little to do with football. But Qatar,a country where the temperature is often around 50 degrees at that time of year
Not sure how liberal they are with regards to alcohol,but expect a rather low tolerence to certain behaviour,which would probably be over looked in western countries.
We'll never know if it was a kosher decision or if money and reward exchanged hands.
England is pretty disapointed as well after being led to believe that they had the votes.....
Pretty sure that it will be a long time before Australia will now be in with another chance.
Next time in the Asian region it is likely to go to China (26) then back to Europe(30)then possibly South America(34) USA(38)?
So good chance not before 2042 at the earliest.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:25 AM

656 posts, read 2,377,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Australia didn't present well with the use of tired old cliches having little to do with football. But Qatar,a country where the temperature is often around 50 degrees at that time of year
Not sure how liberal they are with regards to alcohol,but expect a rather low tolerence to certain behaviour,which would probably be over looked in western countries.
We'll never know if it was a kosher decision or if money and reward exchanged hands.
England is pretty disapointed as well after being led to believe that they had the votes.....
Pretty sure that it will be a long time before Australia will now be in with another chance.
Next time in the Asian region it is likely to go to China (26) then back to Europe(30)then possibly South America(34) USA(38)?
So good chance not before 2042 at the earliest.
I think it was our best chance, so I don't know where we go from here
Being close to Europe I think didn't hurt Qatar chances. But the Heat,
they wouldn't be silly enough to have it in June/July surely. They have
to have it earlier, even with all those Air-con stadiums there building ?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:19 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,966,780 times
Quote:
Yeah I heard that one too, when I was in Egypt. Middle of the baking desert, feeling like you're about to die and they serve you hot tea. Apparently because you're feeling hot outside, if you drink cold it'll make you feel hotter because of the contrast in temperatures, or some such rot. Try as I might, it didn't work that way for me. Neither did tepid Coke.

Ice-cold beer does the trick almost instantly.
You were in Egypt?
What was the temp like?
I enjoy hot tea up to 29 C with a heat index of 38 C/100 F... but it was hotter where you were?

Well they'll need something ice-cold, else most people won't visit Qatar for World Cup.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,973,292 times
As i understand it Qatar will allow drinking at all fan areas and the stadiums will all be fully air conditioned and unlike Russia,be fairly close to each other.
Qatar has the money i guess to ensure that no expense is spared,so it may turn out to be ok,if not a little plastic.
Not sure what fans would do between games,as being held in a northern summer will make it possibly too hot for even the beach.
Russia,could be another issue though. Very wide distances involved. Heard on the media a fan who was there for the Euro Cup saying that there was a very poor response from the locals including officials,towards foreign fans,not at all welcoming.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,510,769 times
Quote:
You were in Egypt?
What was the temp like?
Depending on where we were at the time. Anywhere from pleasant in Alexandria to uncomfortably sticky in Cairo to unbearable in places like the Valley of the Kings, etc. Have no recollection of the exact temps, probably mid to high 40's at the worst. Don't really know, there was too much to be fascinated with there to care about temperatures. I guess I'm not a weather geek

Quote:
I enjoy hot tea up to 29 C with a heat index of 38 C/100 F... but it was hotter where you were?
Definitely hotter and I doubt you would have been able to view cups of hot tea in any positive light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
As i understand it Qatar will allow drinking at all fan areas and the stadiums will all be fully air conditioned and unlike Russia,be fairly close to each other.
Qatar has the money i guess to ensure that no expense is spared,so it may turn out to be ok,if not a little plastic.
Not sure what fans would do between games,as being held in a northern summer will make it possibly too hot for even the beach.
Russia,could be another issue though. Very wide distances involved. Heard on the media a fan who was there for the Euro Cup saying that there was a very poor response from the locals including officials,towards foreign fans,not at all welcoming.
I'm sure Qatar will do fine. Lots of money to do so. It's a long way off, just hope things stay stable.

My dad and his partner spent 6 weeks in Russia and they both said that it was a lovely country but full of unhappy people. They said people either seemed drained or cold.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:16 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,966,780 times
Quote:
Depending on where we were at the time. Anywhere from pleasant in Alexandria to uncomfortably sticky in Cairo to unbearable in places like the Valley of the Kings, etc. Have no recollection of the exact temps, probably mid to high 40's at the worst.

Don't really know, there was too much to be fascinated with there to care about temperatures. I guess I'm not a weather geek
So it was mid-summer, or nearly?

My love for the outdoors and my climate where the weather is flawed 90% of the time made me a "weather geek."

Old 12-07-2010, 04:02 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,516,464 times
well, its finally starting to feel like summer here.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:03 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,770,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
well, its finally starting to feel like summer here.

Agree, and well overdue!

My summer indicator is being able to comfortably sit outside on the morning ferry (up the top) and not feel chilled by the wind temp.

The wind chill seems to subtract around 5-10C from the air temp and if I can tolerate that, then it is "summery" in my book .

Also notice how humid it is at night now? Lately it has seldom been below 18C at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand