U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 PM

12 posts, read 22,734 times

Advertisements

I live in Seattle for 4 years and in bay area for 4 years, and now thinking about my next stop. I am looking for

Seattle minus the cloud, gray sky, cold winter, earthquake
San Francisco minus the homeless, crimes, bad smell and earthquake
Silicon valley with people that are less geeky and intensive (but still intelligent)
LA minus the traffic and bad air

A little bit more about myself. I am a 25 years old male out of graduate school and working for an internet company. I like entertainment, musicals, and F1. I know Guns'N Roses just play 5 shows in Australia and there's a F1 stop in Australia, so this part should be good. What about the city vibe and overall environment? I like mid-size (Seattle or SF) city feel with low crime, clean streets and nice people. Is Sydney for me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:42 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Sure, Sydney fits pretty much all of that criteria.

F1 is in Melbourne though, but yeah you can get down there for that.

Sydney is about 5 million in population (I think)... so its a decent sized city.

People talk about the traffic here, and for Australia it is congested, but nothing like LA.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:56 PM

2,124 posts, read 2,957,138 times
Only way for you to really know is to have a visit and decide for yourself. As with all things there are pros and cons.
Before all that though you will need to determine if you can get a visa that wil allow you to work in Australia. Before that the rest is rather academic.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 PM

656 posts, read 2,371,894 times
Best to come down here and just visit, its always the best way

Sydney On Paper may seem like the right place, but may be a whole lot different in real life

I would look at Melbourne and Brisbane also. If any of these cities fit, only THEN look seriously at emigration and employment prospects

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 PM

950 posts, read 1,456,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew99tw View Post
I live in Seattle for 4 years and in bay area for 4 years, and now thinking about my next stop. I am looking for

Seattle minus the cloud, gray sky, cold winter, earthquake
San Francisco minus the homeless, crimes, bad smell and earthquake
Silicon valley with people that are less geeky and intensive (but still intelligent)
LA minus the traffic and bad air

A little bit more about myself. I am a 25 years old male out of graduate school and working for an internet company. I like entertainment, musicals, and F1. I know Guns'N Roses just play 5 shows in Australia and there's a F1 stop in Australia, so this part should be good. What about the city vibe and overall environment? I like mid-size (Seattle or SF) city feel with low crime, clean streets and nice people. Is Sydney for me?

Thanks!
Melbourne's weather can be depressing esp. at winter times, with cloudy and grey sky.

Have you thought about Honolulu? That sounds like a city that meets at least almost all of your criteria.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,037,029 times
I have not lived in Sydney for a long time but:
No earthquakes, last one in Oz that did any damage was in Newcastle in 1989.
It is a fast paced city, not so much geeky, but it is intensive - especially as far as monetary motivation, and "keeping up with the Jones", pretentious etc.
There is still crime and homeless people, maybe not as much as SF.
Still plenty of traffic and pollution, noticeable when you don't live there anymore -and only go to visit.
Climate is fairly moderate year round, but on average better than the Pacific North-West, sunshine hours would rate higher.
IN summary, probably a good medium to large sized city on the whole, but not perfect by any means - but where is?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Melbourne would be more like Seattle/SF than Sydney.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 AM

17 posts, read 47,698 times
Seattle is much more like Melbourne apparently.

Sydney is a lovely place, but money speaks there. It's all about what side of the bridge you live on. Make up on at the beach. Vip house parties where jamiroquai plays. Lara Bingle. The ivy. Hipster djs opening up pubs.

In general Australians are friendly, but people in Sydney and Melbourne are very cliquey, I would go as far as to say pretentious.

Sydneys weather is mild in winter and warm in Summer. Quite a lot of rain in warmer months, very sunny and more humid than Melbourne.

There are lots of homeless people on the streets, but less than the us. They are harmless as well.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM

58 posts, read 80,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Melbourne's weather can be depressing esp. at winter times, with cloudy and grey sky.

Have you thought about Honolulu? That sounds like a city that meets at least almost all of your criteria.
Compared to Seattle weather, I think OP would find Melbourne weather quite mild and less depressing. It tends to rain here, not constant drizzle.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournian87 View Post
Seattle is much more like Melbourne apparently.

Sydney is a lovely place, but money speaks there. It's all about what side of the bridge you live on. Make up on at the beach. Vip house parties where jamiroquai plays. Lara Bingle. The ivy. Hipster djs opening up pubs.

In general Australians are friendly, but people in Sydney and Melbourne are very cliquey, I would go as far as to say pretentious.

Sydneys weather is mild in winter and warm in Summer. Quite a lot of rain in warmer months, very sunny and more humid than Melbourne.

There are lots of homeless people on the streets, but less than the us. They are harmless as well.
I had the opportunity (or spare cash? ) to dine at Vue de Monde, Melbourne's 'top restaurant' and I haven't been called 'sir' so many times in my life, lol. I wanted to go there merely to try the food, not to try and appear posh (wore a soggy tracksuit top after being caught in the rain).

I remember a quote that in Sydney they ask you what job you do, while in Melbourne they ask you what school you went to. That's how 'class' is defined in each city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand