Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,940,019 times

Advertisements

No offense to Aussies, the Aus accent has its charms, but I have to admit it's one of the least favorite accents, and it's comparatively unappealing on men (not that it would be a deal-breaker or anything for me) - just gives off a Julia Gillard, haha...of course maybe there are exceptions.

Aussie GF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOE5pEX98CE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,704,276 times
LOL! Great video!

Yep, that accent sure is unsexy. Although not as unsexy as Gillard's accent, which coupled with the nasal monotone is the most annoying sound on earth, next to the sound of nails on a blackboard and dentist's drills. Apparently she didn't talk like that when she was younger. Why anyone would deliberately change to that accent is beyond me.

Note the word 'show' - I can't for the life of me replicate that pronounciation. Showwyouoo ?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,724,192 times
At worst the Aussie accents can sound bizarre, but not overly-unappealing.
Some Aussie accents I find appealing.
In that video, "Show" sounds not too far off from thick South(east)ern US drawls that I'm used to hearing on holidays.

I prefer accents you wouldn't hear from TV newscasters.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-02-2011 at 05:04 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,724,192 times
David Wenham's voice as "Digger" is quite nasal in this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvwc43-WF_c

He also played "Fletcher", the bad guy in "Australia."

Old 02-02-2011, 05:17 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,599,565 times
aren't kiwis from new zealand ( in reference to the original video) Also, I happen to LOVE the aussie accent, especially on the ladies!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
LOL! Great video!

Yep, that accent sure is unsexy. Although not as unsexy as Gillard's accent, which coupled with the nasal monotone is the most annoying sound on earth, next to the sound of nails on a blackboard and dentist's drills. Apparently she didn't talk like that when she was younger. Why anyone would deliberately change to that accent is beyond me.

Note the word 'show' - I can't for the life of me replicate that pronounciation. Showwyouoo ?
Yeah she had a Welsh accent, lol, which I find hard to imagine, although for the first few years after I learned to talk I had a different accent (due to parents), which disappeared rapidly after I started school.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,846,883 times
Lol, an obvious response to my other thread...you know what I generally agree with you, Aussie accents aren't very sexy (despite what Americans think), although I still think Kiwi is LESS so, and that's been the consensus.

Come to think of it most accents aren't very sexy at all. Imagine two Liverpudlians whispering naughty things to each other before they get to it, sounds more funny than anything else, lol.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,704,276 times
To be fair though, the girl on the video had a real whiny voice and bogany accent, or whatever you'd categorise that as. Ocker? Not all Aussies speak like that.

"Not her but" - a unique Aussie thing, putting the word "but" on the end of a sentence.

Another Aussie-ism: the phrase "Yeah, no ..."

Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,608,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Lol, an obvious response to my other thread...you know what I generally agree with you, Aussie accents aren't very sexy (despite what Americans think), although I still think Kiwi is LESS so, and that's been the consensus.

Come to think of it most accents aren't very sexy at all. Imagine two Liverpudlians whispering naughty things to each other before they get to it, sounds more funny than anything else, lol.
I think spoken by the right woman, any accent can be sexy.

One gal I was in love with at one time was from this rather isolated town near Dunedin, NZ. Like a lot of people down that way she had a NZ country drawl mixed in with a Scot accent. That worked really well.

Probably my favorite accent is French. French women can say whatever and it sounds phenomenal.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 PM

885 posts, read 1,546,239 times
It's so much sexier than the Indian accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand