U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,005,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A local Atlanta woman was interviewed on our local news, who had been in Christchurch on the day of the earthquake. She was traveling alone on her "once in a lifetime" vacation, and had just left one of the churches only two minutes before the quake hit - that church had significant damage and several people inside were killed.

She along with so many others, walked down the main street for a few miles to get out of the building zone, and eventually she wound up meeting some locals who took her in and allowed her to stay in their home for a couple of days until the airport was up and running again and she could leave. She said the compassion that was shown to each other and to the foreign tourists was exceptional and if she could do it over again, she would still be in New Zealand that day, even having to go through the quake, simply because of the people.
I echo the sentiments of the lady from Atlanta. While I was not there during the quake or time of a disaster, I can say that my travels all over New Zealand were met with such warmth from the people of New Zealand. It was the whole package, the beauty of the country teamed with the kindness of the citizens that make it such a wonderful place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 01:40 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,566,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I wonder if it would make sense to move the CBD north, west or southwest if there is more solid ground. Essentially moving the city elsewhere while retaining western suburbs. Turn much of the current CBD into a park.
Thats not realistic from a cost perspective especially with hundreds of structures green stickered ok in the CBD. They will rebuild the CBD where it is but work on new ground stabilistion techneques and obviously use advances in building designs.

Also pays to remember the damaging fault is generally not active and the major alpine fault would do far less damage in comparison.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:43 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,268,103 times
Quote:
I might have mentioned this earlier in the thread but in the museum near Hagley Park there was a section about earthquakes and there was made mention that someday a major earthquake could hit ChCh. I doubt many people took that very seriously. I certainly never gave any thought to an earthquake happening. I certainly thought about it in Napier and in Wellington, but not ChCh.
I've visited NZ but never lived there so maybe I'm way off on this but I'd always had the impression that the entire country -- like, say, Iceland, Chile or Japan -- is seismically active and that there was no place that's safe from quakes. But, from posts in this thread, it seems that perhaps the north part of North Island and, until now, Christchurch were considered less susceptible to quake activity? If that's the case then having two big quakes rock ChCh in a matter of months must've been especially emotionally shattering.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:46 PM

141 posts, read 296,983 times
The main fault line runs up along the Southern Alps of the South Island, up into the North Island entering through Wellington and the Hutt Valley, through Taupo and exits the country through the Bay of Plenty. So the north of the North Island would not be as seismically active. However Auckland is built on a volcanic area although extinct.

Although Christchurch was not seen to be a huge risk, the risk still existed as does in all parts of NZ. The main focus is on the main alpine fault, described above which is about 100km to the west of ChCh, so when that goes it is likely to impact ChCh again, although hopefully not to the extent that these past couple of quakes have.

As a matter of interest we had a 4.8 aftershock last night about 7-30 which was quite a shake - enough to get us back under door frames in a hurry! Also Christchurch Quake Map has a facebook page with lots of interesting comments and information in it.

http://www.facebook.com/index.php?#!...churchQuakeMap

Last edited by muir33; 03-05-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 PM

So Auckland is in a bit less danger than Wellington? Interesting. I didn't know that.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM

595 posts, read 714,746 times
Today they buried a 6 month old child killed in the Christchurch quake. This was a nasty quake that unfortunately hit directly in the city as opposed to the perimeter or countryside. Their economy can support recontruction ,but nobody can replace the lives lost. I'm presently trying to understand
dormant faults (except Yellowstone)ie 125th Street New York fault,the nearly 1600 <3.8 mag quakes in Yellowstone since January 17. The New Madrid fault in the Midwest is raising eyebrows. Some predict it could reverse the flow of the Mississippi and flood six states. They have special significance and people near these areas must be prepared for potential longterm survival on their 2nd floor or roof if Red Cross is overwhelmed. Yellowstone is capping at 3" per year a and
it's notorious (worlds lagest magma chamber could blow as we speak.) Most of us know the major faults although additional monsters lie on the oceans floors and pose a whole bunch of added activity not withstanding tsunamis .

Last edited by DASULAR17; 03-05-2011 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,087,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
Today they buried a 6 month old child killed in the Christchurch quake. This was a nasty quake that unfortunately hit directly in the city as opposed to the perimeter or countryside. Their economy can support recontruction ,but nobody can replace the lives lost. I'm presently trying to understand
dormant faults (except Yellowstone)ie 125th Street New York fault,the nearly 1600 <3.8 mag quakes in Yellowstone since January 17. The New Madrid fault in the Midwest is raising eyebrows. Some predict it could reverse the flow of the Mississippi and flood six states. They have special significance and people near these areas must be prepared for potential longterm survival on their 2nd floor or roof if Red Cross is overwhelmed. Yellowstone is capping at 3" per year a and
it's notorious (worlds lagest magma chamber could blow as we speak.) Most of us know the major faults although additional monsters lie on the oceans floors and pose a whole bunch of added activity not withstanding tsunamis .
I think sometimes people don't think about earthquakes much because a lot of these places can be dormant for hundreds of years. I was reading that once the Christchurch area calms down, it could be another 1000 years before another big quake hits.

The New Madrid fault is probably going to blow again and when it does, it will make hurricane katrina look like a minor issue.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:39 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,566,209 times
Quote:
I think sometimes people don't think about earthquakes much because a lot of these places can be dormant for hundreds of years. I was reading that once the Christchurch area calms down, it could be another 1000 years before another big quake hits.

The New Madrid fault is probably going to blow again and when it does, it will make hurricane katrina look like a minor issue.
Yea agree, geologists believe thousands of years between these fault movements that effected Christchurch.

That New Madrid fault in the States is huge, but probably wouldn't slip all at once though. The Californian faults seem to get all the attention, are people in the Mid West prepared?

Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
The Californian faults seem to get all the attention, are people in the Mid West prepared?
In a word, no.

New Madrid Seismic Zone Earthquake Hazard Article and Map

Money quote:

"The City of Memphis and the surrounding metropolitan area of more than one million people would be severely impacted. Memphis has an aging infrastructure, and many of its large buildings, including unreinforced schools and fire and police stations, would be particularly vulnerable when subjected to severe ground shaking. Relatively few buildings were built using building codes that have provisions for seismic-resistant design. Soil liquefaction and related ground failures are likely to occur in downtown Memphis along the Mississippi River and along the Wolf River that passes through Memphis. The older highways and railroad bridges that cross the Mississippi River, as well as older overpasses, would likely be damaged or collapse in the event of a major New Madrid earthquake. Some of the bridges and pipelines crossing the Wolf River might be damaged or destroyed. Although Memphis is likely to be the focus of major damage in the region, St. Louis, Mo., Little Rock, Ark., and many small and medium-sized cities would also sustain damage."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand