Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,245 times

Advertisements

Ok,
Here is my dilemna. I live in Long Island,NY and the winter last year almost killed me(even though the beginning was mild) so I want to go somewhere warm over our winters.

My idea is to leave here in the late fall and go to Australia just when their Summer is beginning. That way I can totally skip winter. I do like snow though and will be back for the holidays. That much won't kill me. Australia seems like a great place to visit(from what I have seen on t.v.) and English is the primary language(a must).

Requirements:
.1.I would prefer to live in or near a major city.
.2.I must be near the ocean.
.3.There must be Botanical Gardens or other gardens I can volunteer or work at.It's my passion.
.4.Train systems or buses need to be easily accessible unless renting a car is cheap.
.5.Temperature between 70-90 degrees.
.6. I can't live in the desert. Need green lushy grass around.lol
.7. Stores stay open till at least 9 pm
.8.Am close to lots of recreational and artsy things.

A simple,clean apartment is all I need. I am very resourceful in finding what I need for dirt cheap or free so a basic apartment for 1 person in a safe neighborhood is all I need.

I am open to moving other places also. I just cannot think of other places right now. I seriously need to look at a map,lol. My budget is limited being a college student but there should be something out there that can work for me. I am open to and all suggestions.

Thanks a Bunch,
Erin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 04:31 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,896,426 times
Not sure about being able to work there.
And have you looked into how much it costs to get to Australia from the east coast? Coming back "for the holidays" might be pricey.
You might want to consider southern California or Florida instead.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,245 times
Luckily coming back home will not be to much of a problem for me. I get discounts on airline travel through my Dad's job so that shouldn't be a problem. I would come home right before Christmas and then leave right before or after New Years. Then maybe come back for St Pat's Day but that's about it. I think I will be back permantly by Easter(as long as it's warm enough,lol).

I would love to go to California but I did not think there were spots with constant good weather. I've heard L.A. does but I don't know for sure. Florida is just not my type of place. I've been there twice and it just didn't work for me. I do need to visit the major cities there at one point,just not right now. I know tones of people love it there(1/2 of NY alone moves there when they retire) but it's just not for me at this time.

Maybe I can find a eco tour that goes on for a few months.

Thanks cil for writing. If you or others come up with other ideas, I would love to here about it.

Thanks,
Erin

Old 07-26-2007, 06:46 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,273,155 times
It's a no-brainer...Perth or Freemantle....saphire blue water...not the hassel of Sydney or Canberra....and just for an idea...you might take a gander at New Zealand...Christ Church has even more...and its so much like the USA of the old days...both are just the very best....Walk about and oliday! G-day!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,896,426 times
Firerocks
Could you do something like this?
WWOOF
I had a neighbor who did this in New Zealand and loved it. Her own daughter grew up and did it, too.
I don't blame you about hating winter.
BTW
North Florida is really different from its southern peninsula.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:16 AM

255 posts, read 1,193,175 times
Love your idea and love the idea of giving you ideas!!

I'm a transplanted Aussie with the advantage that I've visited every area of Australia so I'm adding my thoughts as well.

For starters, check out the visa requirements.

Then I would suggest Brisbane which has a beautiful botanical garden on the Brisbane River. It's a mecca for backpackers (among other tourists) so accommodations can be found somewhat cheaply. Since it's semi-tropical, it's quite warm in the Australian summer. It's not right by the ocean but you can drive there - or catch a bus or train, particularly if you're going to Surfers Paradise. Public transportation all around Australia is quite unlike the U.S. so travelling by train or bus isn't a problem.

I was also going to suggest Darwin which has a great botanical garden and a good bus service. It's on the ocean, except that you can't always swim there. And there are crocodiles in the waters. Not good! Maybe give that one a miss.

I agree with Perth or Fremantle too. The only drawback is that it's a long trip getting there - but well worth it when you arrive. Lots of gardens in Perth, botanical and otherwise so do check it out. Fremantle might be even better. Beaches, gardens, artsy, etc.

Difficult to find Australian cities with botanical gardens which are also on the ocean. Of course, there is always Sydney where I'm from. Gorgeous Botanic Gardens right in the city, well on the Harbour front. Beaches are out a way since the city is on Sydney Harbour. But a good bus service can get you anywhere you want to go to access the northern beaches and a train service takes you to famous Bondi Beach. But, Manly (one of the oceanside suburbs with lovely beaches and accessible to the city by ferry and hydrofoil), has gardens, and may fit the bill for artsy besides. And there is always Oxford Street which has lots of artsy stores and the suburb of Newtown, quite close in to the city is very artsy. Lots to recommend Sydney too, I guess, except its size and busyness.

So I'm still leaning in favour of Brisbane, and Fremantle.

Anyway, I love your idea and it's been fun to think about just the right place for you to while away the snowy days others will be experiencing here.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:39 PM

104 posts, read 451,557 times
Default adelaide

adelaide is nice with beaches along the south western suburbs and an hour-2 hour drive south are some surf beaches. and has a big garden in the city and alot of parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand