Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM

91 posts, read 189,436 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have been through so much information that I have a headache. It seems every VISA I look at has this restriction or that and I can't figure out what to do. Please advise...

I am 42 years old, a registered nurse. My husband is 46 years old and has 20 years of experience in network engineering. We have three daughters, one is 19 and wants to go to Australia now to go to school, the other two are 13 and 10.

I realize my husband is too old based on points to go to Australia, and I am fast approaching that deadline as well, so we have to figure things out soon. We're particularly interested in Brisbane and the general area, having heard that housing prices are more reasonable in that area of Australia. We're planning on taking a trip, my husband and I, to check things out and see how we feel to finalize the plan of whether we're going or not.

Now, If my daughter goes over and becomes a resident, can she sponsor us over? I read that it has to be the majority of our children, which we'd still have two more home, so that doesn't work. My husband and I both plan to work for many years yet, so we're not just going to be a drag on the system.

I can qualify based on points, but my age will screw things up before long. I seem to be able to qualify based on skill migrant independent. But we'd have to sell our home fast and save up a lot of money really fast, and I'm not sure we'd be ready to go within the 3 years I have until I hit age 45.

I have also read that if we can go over and be offered jobs, our employers can sponsor us over? Is that the easiest way, considering our ages? Both of our jobs are on the current Skilled Occupation List. It just seems like there should be some way of proceeding with this, since we have skills to offer and our children will be assets to the system as well. We're not DEAD old, after all!

Sorry to hit everyone with questions you've probably heard over and over. I'm so muddled with everything that has to be considered, and I'm worried that if I don't do something before I'm 45 I'll be out of luck. It would be great to find out that we could still be sponsored over by employers even though I'm a bit over 45 later on...it would give us more time to sell our home, pare down belongings, and save up plenty of money for such a big transition.

I took the "new points test" that I guess is expected to be the one that takes effect on July 1, 2011. I had 130 points, which was plenty. I noticed that you get a lot of points from working in Australia. Is it better to go over on a work visa and work there for a couple of years, and THEN apply for residency, considering the extra points it gives you?

Ohhh, now my stomach hurts, too. Please be kind and help me unravel all this stuff...:^)

Thanks,
Cara Randall

Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I think if you are over 45 and don't have a boatload of cash to invest under a business visa, as in a few million, or have an employer transfer you there, you are out of luck.

If you don't even think you are going to be ready within 3 years, then really you shouldn't even bother worrying about it as life changes can happen quickly and the rules change also. Although I doubt Australia will change the 45 year old rule.

Sounds like you have never even been to Australia. It's a completely different country and totally unique to the world in terms of geography, topography, culture, lifestyle and so on. I've even known 3 Australian American dual citizens that went back to Australia and all returned to the USA within a year.

So I'd take a long trip first and experience the country and if you really like it, engage the services of a migration expert that can maybe figure something out for you, if you can't do it on your own.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
My thouhts are similar to above post. Three years is a very long time with regards to immigration rules. They tend to change yearly so what may be applicable one year is not the following.

Who can say what the economy may be like then as could have bombed out and intake levels reduced drasticly.

Many variables possible, in your favour is that it is unlikely the demand for nurses will decline unless of course the powers that be increase the levels of poaching from developing world countries.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 PM

From what I have read about the changes taking place in July, 2011, they have already upped the age limit from 45 to 50. This is because they are looking for more highly skilled workers with more education and realized that it might take people until their mid forties or more to achieve that. It's just that, on the points system, you don't get any age points for being 45-50. If I could pick up those points somewhere else in some other way, it technically would not matter about my age.

I am 42 at this point, not 45.

We're taking a trip to Australia in October for a couple of weeks. That's the best we can do, considering it's going to take us about 6,000 bucks round trip to do that, and that's not even considering the cost of someplace to stay and eat.

So we'll see how things shake out. And yes, I do know that Australia is a completely different country with different customs and ways of doing things. Those are kind of hard facts to miss unless you're a complete dullard.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:00 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
my only advice is if you have the points now.. apply NOW as you never know when they change eligibility requirements. especially if you are serious about making your home in Oz. they made some change a few years back that impacted a few of my mates at Uni Adelaide.. something about the degree has to be a certain number of weeks (96) and their Uni had the MBA as fewer than that..

Also if you can it, hire a registered visa consultant...

Old 04-27-2011, 02:41 AM

121 posts, read 244,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INstix View Post
Okay, I have been through so much information that I have a headache. It seems every VISA I look at has this restriction or that and I can't figure out what to do. Please advise...

I am 42 years old, a registered nurse. My husband is 46 years old and has 20 years of experience in network engineering. We have three daughters, one is 19 and wants to go to Australia now to go to school, the other two are 13 and 10.

I realize my husband is too old based on points to go to Australia, and I am fast approaching that deadline as well, so we have to figure things out soon. We're particularly interested in Brisbane and the general area, having heard that housing prices are more reasonable in that area of Australia. We're planning on taking a trip, my husband and I, to check things out and see how we feel to finalize the plan of whether we're going or not.

Now, If my daughter goes over and becomes a resident, can she sponsor us over? I read that it has to be the majority of our children, which we'd still have two more home, so that doesn't work. My husband and I both plan to work for many years yet, so we're not just going to be a drag on the system.

I can qualify based on points, but my age will screw things up before long. I seem to be able to qualify based on skill migrant independent. But we'd have to sell our home fast and save up a lot of money really fast, and I'm not sure we'd be ready to go within the 3 years I have until I hit age 45.

I have also read that if we can go over and be offered jobs, our employers can sponsor us over? Is that the easiest way, considering our ages? Both of our jobs are on the current Skilled Occupation List. It just seems like there should be some way of proceeding with this, since we have skills to offer and our children will be assets to the system as well. We're not DEAD old, after all!

Sorry to hit everyone with questions you've probably heard over and over. I'm so muddled with everything that has to be considered, and I'm worried that if I don't do something before I'm 45 I'll be out of luck. It would be great to find out that we could still be sponsored over by employers even though I'm a bit over 45 later on...it would give us more time to sell our home, pare down belongings, and save up plenty of money for such a big transition.

I took the "new points test" that I guess is expected to be the one that takes effect on July 1, 2011. I had 130 points, which was plenty. I noticed that you get a lot of points from working in Australia. Is it better to go over on a work visa and work there for a couple of years, and THEN apply for residency, considering the extra points it gives you?

Ohhh, now my stomach hurts, too. Please be kind and help me unravel all this stuff...:^)

Thanks,
Cara Randall
Cara,

The demand for nurses in Australia exceeds supply, particularly well-experienced nurses. QLD is a very fertile ground for health professionals but also consider WA where there is a chronic deficit of health-care professionals. (In the next few months, WA is building one of the biggest hospitals in Australia. This is a 7 year project. They are DESPERATE for health-care professionals!!!)

You would need to have your qualifications assessed by the National Nursing Board before you are allowed to practise. As a US-educated nurse, this process is quite streamlined.

See AHPRA - AHPRA Home

Health-care professionals do not follow the same immigration rules. The hospitals have the capacity to fast-track your application. Hence, access this site (ahttp://www.health.qld.gov.au/workforus/) and get in touch with the various hospitals in QLD directly.

Your entire family could migrate to Australia based on your professional background. As such, it is best to concentrate on your application and theirs will follow.

Well-experienced nurses are well-renumerated in Australia. Perhaps, you may not need to sell your house in the US.

Of course Australia is different in terms of culture, lifestyle, geography...but that's the beauty of the experience.

I know of many health-care professionals from the US who are delighted to call Australia home....some of whom have become citizens.

Best of Luck.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:36 PM

I guess we could consider any area of Australia. I haven't looked into WA that much. What is the weather like there most of the time? Do they have IT jobs available for my husband who is a network engineer?

I didn't know they could fast track my application! That's good news!! I have three years experience in critical care, but would rather continue with my current specialty of long term care geriatrics than go back to hospital nursing. I COULD do it, I'm just not wild about the stress levels of it.

But this sounds very positive! Thanks!

Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
Cara,

The demand for nurses in Australia exceeds supply, particularly well-experienced nurses. QLD is a very fertile ground for health professionals but also consider WA where there is a chronic deficit of health-care professionals. (In the next few months, WA is building one of the biggest hospitals in Australia. This is a 7 year project. They are DESPERATE for health-care professionals!!!)

You would need to have your qualifications assessed by the National Nursing Board before you are allowed to practise. As a US-educated nurse, this process is quite streamlined.

See AHPRA - AHPRA Home

Health-care professionals do not follow the same immigration rules. The hospitals have the capacity to fast-track your application. Hence, access this site (ahttp://www.health.qld.gov.au/workforus/) and get in touch with the various hospitals in QLD directly.

Your entire family could migrate to Australia based on your professional background. As such, it is best to concentrate on your application and theirs will follow.

Well-experienced nurses are well-renumerated in Australia. Perhaps, you may not need to sell your house in the US.

Of course Australia is different in terms of culture, lifestyle, geography...but that's the beauty of the experience.

I know of many health-care professionals from the US who are delighted to call Australia home....some of whom have become citizens.

Best of Luck.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 PM

121 posts, read 244,452 times
Quote:
I guess we could consider any area of Australia. I haven't looked into WA that much. What is the weather like there most of the time? Do they have IT jobs available for my husband who is a network engineer?

I didn't know they could fast track my application! That's good news!! I have three years experience in critical care, but would rather continue with my current specialty of long term care geriatrics than go back to hospital nursing. I COULD do it, I'm just not wild about the stress levels of it.

But this sounds very positive! Thanks!

Cara
I don't know much about the conditions in WA as I live in NSW....I intend to move there early next year (I'm also a health care worker)..There are WA residents here who can help.

Perhaps, your husband might wish to pursue employment with the mining/oil/gas companies in WA in his capacity as a IT professional? or perhaps, in the health-care system? Don't worry too much about finding employment....the mining/oil/gas companies have enticed workers away from other sectors, leaving behind many many many vacant positions.

I know a nurse working in WA whose application was stamped in 8 days. YES, 8 Days!!! He was working in Singapore prior to his move to WA. Admittedly, he graduated from Curtin Uni (WA-based). Obviously, yours will take longer because of the assessment process but you are US-educated so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Long term geriatrics care? Be prepared for them to ask "When can you start?"

Best of Luck

Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post

Long term geriatrics care? Be prepared for them to ask "When can you start?"

Best of Luck

Well I like that sound of that! Any ideas how much long term care registered nurses might make??

And yes, my husband has given some thought to moving into another job sector with his IT experience. He's worked in health care IT for 20 years and would like to try something new. I feel he's at a level where he can be a senior network engineer. There's very little about the job of network engineer that he doesn't understand. It's as easy to him as breathing!

Hmmm, we may have to consider Perth, then.

Cara

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Well I like that sound of that! Any ideas how much long term care registered nurses might make??

And yes, my husband has given some thought to moving into another job sector with his IT experience. He's worked in health care IT for 20 years and would like to try something new. I feel he's at a level where he can be a senior network engineer. There's very little about the job of network engineer that he doesn't understand. It's as easy to him as breathing!

Hmmm, we may have to consider Perth, then.

Cara
Each State has it's own levels of pay. All RNs are paid according to their years of service. You would need to visit each site to check.

I am an RN trained in NZ who has worked in NZ, Australia and the US. I found Australian pay very good and the holidays are much better than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand