U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 AM
 
950 posts, read 1,456,517 times
Reputation: 468

Advertisements

Carbon tax will create economic wasteland: Abbott - Yahoo!7 Finance (http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/Carbon-tax-create-economic-abc-2429873066.html - broken link)
Any opinions to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,360 posts, read 5,180,049 times
Reputation: 2684
I would like to actually see the policy and how its going to work before i can make any comments.

At the end of the day however its going to be the average joe in the street who's going to be paying for the tax, weather its through increased costs or retrencments from traditonal poluting industries like steel manufacturing.

I dont anticipate our household will be recieving any compo under the labor plan, and I am happy to pay my dues if the money is used wisely, but thats the big trouble with this labor goverment. Using Money Wisley is something they are not very good at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
 
14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Reputation: 20478
there is so much information & mis-information... that I find it difficult to have a clear stance on this.

Firstly, I'd have more time for the govt on this if they put a stop to burning brown coal in Australia. We ship our good black coal to other countries and burn the crap here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,495,413 times
Reputation: 17720
It's clear to me it's nothing more than a money grab and a socialist wealth redistribution scam, that's it. Nothing to do with the environment. As artemis says, we burn coal here and will continue to ship the stuff overseas in ever increasing amounts, so where's the environmental benefit? The globe's climate is not dependent on a tax in Oz.

And despite the conveniently cherry-picked "facts" from Combet and Gillard, China isn't the shining example of Greendom they'd have us believe and other countries efforts in this have been much less than what they propose here - more like feel-good gestures to make it look like they're doing something. Not to mention carbon credits being a rort.

Besides, most of it will go to compensation (to people and industry), a chunk over to Africa because those despots don't have enough money already for their militia to brutalise their people with, and then we'll need a big shiny new bureaucracy to administer the money. What's left will be spectacularly wasted by this grossly incompetent government who can't even run a grocery prices website or put insulation in roofs properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 PM
 
2,124 posts, read 2,957,138 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I would like to actually see the policy and how its going to work before i can make any comments.

At the end of the day however its going to be the average joe in the street who's going to be paying for the tax, weather its through increased costs or retrencments from traditonal poluting industries like steel manufacturing.

I dont anticipate our household will be recieving any compo under the labor plan, and I am happy to pay my dues if the money is used wisely, but thats the big trouble with this labor goverment. Using Money Wisley is something they are not very good at.
Not only a Labor Govt either,was not in favour of child bonus nor the First Home Buyers Grant which were the products of the other lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 PM
ino
 
Location: Way beyond the black stump.
680 posts, read 2,130,623 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
It's clear to me it's nothing more than a money grab and a socialist wealth redistribution scam, that's it. Nothing to do with the environment. As artemis says, we burn coal here and will continue to ship the stuff overseas in ever increasing amounts, so where's the environmental benefit? The globe's climate is not dependent on a tax in Oz.

And despite the conveniently cherry-picked "facts" from Combet and Gillard, China isn't the shining example of Greendom they'd have us believe and other countries efforts in this have been much less than what they propose here - more like feel-good gestures to make it look like they're doing something. Not to mention carbon credits being a rort.

Besides, most of it will go to compensation (to people and industry), a chunk over to Africa because those despots don't have enough money already for their militia to brutalise their people with, and then we'll need a big shiny new bureaucracy to administer the money. What's left will be spectacularly wasted by this grossly incompetent government who can't even run a grocery prices website or put insulation in roofs properly.
Glad to hear someone has a brain.

There is no way in this wide world ANYONE should be stuck with a carbon tax.

The hypocrisy is mind numbing. They rabbit on about carbon polution - and yet hand out more permits to mining companies to drill for oil off the Great Australian Bite??????

Research stopped as soon as Nikola Tesla created AC electricity, and the energy companies and shareholders have cleaned up for decades. With all those quarterly profits corporations boast about, it confounds me why WE have to pay??? Isn't that what profits are for in business? to go back into the organisation???

All they are doing is biding time working out how everyone else pays so the corporations DON'T!

It's all a load of crap! But then there is not a government that taxes and levies the battler like a Labour government. What was the first thing they did when they took hold of the reins? whack the price of smokes up. Labour hasn't represented the ordinary working man/woman for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,360 posts, read 5,180,049 times
Reputation: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Not only a Labor Govt either,was not in favour of child bonus nor the First Home Buyers Grant which were the products of the other lot.
Thats true, i was not really in favour of the Howard tax cuts either, however at least that money went directly to the tax payers.

I take vichel's view that with labor all the money they do get after the compo is paid will end up in bureauracies, and none of it will end up in research and schemes designed to actually reduce carbon poluting activities within Australia.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-27-2011 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 PM
 
14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Reputation: 20478
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Not only a Labor Govt either,was not in favour of child bonus nor the First Home Buyers Grant which were the products of the other lot.
as Danielsa says -- the howard benefits a) had a clear purpose either to encourage population & prop up the housing industry.

This.... am not sold on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 AM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,495,413 times
Reputation: 17720
The personal compensation aspect of it is ridiculous. It's based on income not "carbon footprints". So you could have someone with a high income being as green as they can be but they pay, while someone can be wasteful as all hell, hooning around in their V8s and they actually profit from this. What the ....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2011, 02:59 AM
 
11 posts, read 21,305 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
It's clear to me it's nothing more than a money grab and a socialist wealth redistribution scam, that's it. Nothing to do with the environment.
Agree 100%. Just wish more people would realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top