U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2008, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Kingman AZ
15,380 posts, read 22,524,150 times
Reputation: 8557
[quote=Kangaroofarmer;3783322]Yeah, But you got there by your own will, Alot of us came here in chains.

Too an extent, If America hadn't won the Revolutionary War, Australia (as We Know it!) may not exist?, As England may not have needed another new colony and we may be speaking Dutch (Or French?)...As it's no doubt, That either of those two countries, Would have colonised this Unkonwn South Land instead

It's just lucky, That they were looking for untapped wealth, Rather than a site for a Penal Colony?


QUOTE]

Many of ours came escaping being burned at the stake for heresy.... Maybe we should both celebrate the fourth of July....

On a side note....a few years ago, the flying club that I belonged to had one lonely Brit as a member....we considered him a "prisoner of war" and as such he had to host our annual Fourth of July Party every year.

 
Old 05-18-2008, 01:15 AM
 
226 posts, read 556,176 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Our unusual and likeable cousins, I'll agree with that. While we think the same of our European counterparts, there's still a little cultural tension there. Like I said I've never heard anyone in the United States say anything bad about Australia, whereas you might hear some remarks about Europeans...and I know they do the same. If we made a "who is America's best friend" poll, I would imagine Australia would win with the UK in second and Canada somewhere down the line.

you'd think Canada would be higher considering they almost always win polls like this BBC NEWS | Middle East | Israel, Iran top 'negative list'

Canada didn't participate in the Vietnam or Iraq wars but that can't be a bad thing considering how the public views both wars today.

share the largest undefended border in the world, each others largest trade partners

Americans’ Most and Least Favored Nations

"Canada and Great Britain have topped Gallup's country rankings each of the 12 times since 1989 that both countries have been measured, although in most cases Canada has led Great Britain by a few percentage points. The only other country to approach 90% favorability over the years has been Australia"

that poll is from March 3, 2008 and according to it it's
Canada
Great Britain
Australia
 
Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 AM
 
2,421 posts, read 3,205,733 times
Reputation: 3721
[quote=dynimagelv;3795284]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Yeah, But you got there by your own will, Alot of us came here in chains.

Too an extent, If America hadn't won the Revolutionary War, Australia (as We Know it!) may not exist?, As England may not have needed another new colony and we may be speaking Dutch (Or French?)...As it's no doubt, That either of those two countries, Would have colonised this Unkonwn South Land instead

It's just lucky, That they were looking for untapped wealth, Rather than a site for a Penal Colony?


QUOTE]

Many of ours came escaping being burned at the stake for heresy.... Maybe we should both celebrate the fourth of July....

..And Many of ours came for stealing steaks!

We'll celebrate Independence Day, As long as we can celebrate Australia Day (January 26) aswell?


grmike: It's good too hear, That we rank so highly.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 05-18-2008 at 07:58 AM..
 
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 AM
 
986 posts, read 2,246,392 times
Reputation: 379
Default Up above

Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
I've lived on both sides of the Pacific and have noticed at times that some Americans love Australia ("If I could move there, I would!"), and I have Aussie mates who really enjoy the United States, particularly California. Although these are my personal experiences, has anyone noticed or had similar experiences about the Aussie-Yankee attraction? What is it that we admire about the other?
Actually, I have experienced this Aussie mania from almost everybody who has been there, regardless of their nationality.
I've never been up above in Australia before. But this makes me curious.
 
Old 05-19-2008, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Road Warrior
2,016 posts, read 3,569,915 times
Reputation: 773
I am American and have lived in Australia, I almost didn't come back! I think part of it starts off with history, Americans and Australians originally moved away from Europe to seek new land and a better life, "The American Dream" and we both found a big chunk of land with lots of green. Both countries have stood for freedom, when I was in Australia my pop was working in E. Timor and Australia put in most of the effort in liberating E. Timor. I met one of the most amazing women in Australia, part of which is this hellenistic ideology of being intellectual and seeking enlightenment. Both country wishes to preserve it's native culture and it's ancestral culture though has seen immigration pluralism. It essentially has probably a similar ideology than one may think.
 
Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Road Warrior
2,016 posts, read 3,569,915 times
Reputation: 773
Quote:
that poll is from March 3, 2008 and according to it it's
Canada
Great Britain
Australia
I can't explain Canada, though it's America's closest Allies and the two countries are interlinked, I think it might be that the major principalities and population are located towards the Great Lakes and New York and it's mainly liberal stance produces a large and diverse array of immigration. As for the United States we may get more immigrants per year but immigrants tend to migrate to the large coastal cities L.A., D.C., N.Y. and the Sun Belt CA, AZ, TX, FL ... in fact half our immigration revolves around 3 states alone FL, TX, CA and traditional Americans have been moving away from those states at a rapid rate to its neighboring states.

Canada has granted permanent resident status to more than 200,000 immigrants and refugees in each of the last ten years and aims to maintain similar if not higher levels for 2006. The majority come from Asia, particularly China, India, and the Philippines. Significant numbers also come from Pakistan, Iran, Britain, and the United States, in addition to a number of African countries. The number of Muslim immigrants to Canada has increased in recent years; over 175,000 Muslims immigrated to Canada from 1996 to 2006. I think the smaller percentage of population versus immigration is more likely to change the face and politics of Canada than it is in America.
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,247 times
Reputation: 14
Default Americans Just Like Australians But Australians Worship Americans!

I am from neither of the countries just an outside unbiased observer. I lived in Australia for 4 years and have been living in America for the last 11 years. This is my personal opinion based on my experience in both the nations.

1. Most Americans prefer Australians than English men. However, Australians think Americans are God (literally), they worship Americans specially if they are from New York or LA.

2. I have lived in East coast, West Coast and currently live in the Mid West America. I also lived in Sydney and Perth. Most Australians I came across were little biased (likely racist) when it came to a different race particularly against asians and brown skins. They also made racist comments as if it is normal. However, Americans are not at all racial in big cities, however in mid west and smaller towns, you may feel they are racist but at least they do not make racial comments like their Aussie counterparts.

3. I think Aussies wants to be Americans - they like Americana stuff.
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 AM
 
2,421 posts, read 3,205,733 times
Reputation: 3721
Quote:
Originally Posted by continenteye View Post
I am from neither of the countries just an outside unbiased observer. I lived in Australia for 4 years and have been living in America for the last 11 years. This is my personal opinion based on my experience in both the nations.

1. Most Americans prefer Australians than English men. However, Australians think Americans are God (literally), they worship Americans specially if they are from New York or LA.

2. I have lived in East coast, West Coast and currently live in the Mid West America. I also lived in Sydney and Perth. Most Australians I came across were little biased (likely racist) when it came to a different race particularly against asians and brown skins. They also made racist comments as if it is normal. However, Americans are not at all racial in big cities, however in mid west and smaller towns, you may feel they are racist but at least they do not make racial comments like their Aussie counterparts.

3. I think Aussies wants to be Americans - they like Americana stuff.

1. I don't think that we "Worship" Americans? (There's alot of Anti-US sentiment in Australia), But we do feel that Americans are our realtives in a way and we give a certain amount of respect to that fact.

2. Yes, We can be seen as racist, But our "Forthrightness!" Is a national triat, We say what we think!..Even if it means getting people offside?

3. Of course Australians like Americana and many Americans like Australiana?...We're Two opposite poles of the same culture.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 07-09-2008 at 10:07 AM..
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Orange County, CA
168 posts, read 553,120 times
Reputation: 82
Well, IMHO, I believe Americans and Australians can relate more to each other than to Europeans. Both were settled roughly around the same time. Both were settled by “outcasts” from England and Europe. Both have a pioneering attitude of “conquering” lands the size of continents. Both nations are made up of many immigrants. Both lands had/have aboriginal/native people living there. Both cultures have an Anglo base.
 
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
 
167 posts, read 351,031 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by continenteye View Post
1. Most Americans prefer Australians than English men. However, Australians think Americans are God (literally), they worship Americans specially if they are from New York or LA.

2. I have lived in East coast, West Coast and currently live in the Mid West America. I also lived in Sydney and Perth. Most Australians I came across were little biased (likely racist) when it came to a different race particularly against asians and brown skins. They also made racist comments as if it is normal. However, Americans are not at all racial in big cities, however in mid west and smaller towns, you may feel they are racist but at least they do not make racial comments like their Aussie counterparts.

3. I think Aussies wants to be Americans - they like Americana stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
1. I don't think that we "Worship" Americans? (There's alot of Anti-US sentiment in Australia), But we do feel that Americans are our realtives in a way and we give a certain amount of respect to that fact.

2. Yes, We can be seen as racist, But our "Forthrightness!" Is a national triat, We say what we think!..Even if it means getting people offside?

3. Of course Australians like Americana and many Americans like Australiana?...We're Two opposite poles of the same culture.
Aussie here... And I think there's some truth in what both of you say.

1. Yeah, there's a lot of anti-US sentiment, but I think the "little brother/sister" in us looks up at Americans as the colonials who "made it," and have a healthy admiration for that. So "worship" may be too strong a word for it, because it's certainly not like some cultures that outright self-hate in favour of American culture.

2. As a minority Aussie, I feel the pain of racism. That is why I choose to live in California. We shouldn't be surprised, though, as Oz simply isn't as diverse as the U.S. There are degrees, of course. I'd rather live in a large Aussie city than some U.S. towns I've been to. That said, I do think that the forthrightness that Kangaroofarmer speaks of is a more healthy attitude than those Americans who practice automatic political-correctness, but actually don't prescribe to the sentiments. Social problems have to be in the open for a society to change it.

3. My impression of "Americana" is everything in Don McLean's "American Pie," coke/sodas, burgers, fries, small town football and cheerleading, old Chevys, apple pie, baseball, diners, tin signs. I don't think we like those things as much as the younger generation just copies certain contemporary trends (clothes, words, etc.) from Hollywood movies. If anything, the British cultural influence is still stronger with our meat pies, fish & chips, teatime (though I don't actually know any Aussies under 60 who does this), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top