Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 02:24 PM

611 posts, read 773,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I love the aussies and here is why. Please forgive any generalizations but that's rather the point.

1) They come across as real and unpretentious, reminds me a bit of our "old west" attitude.
2) Beautiful country but tough, have to respect their roots and settler beginnings.
3) Australian women are hot IMO and I love their accent.

Basically, Australia reminds me of a favorite cousin that grew up much like ourselves with the same parent (England). We just have a ton in common.
Your post made me smile because it seems so true.
Met some very cool Australians who went to college here.
Interesting people, culture and continent.
If I'm lucky, I'll get to visit there someday.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:43 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,360,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
I've lived on both sides of the Pacific and have noticed at times that some Americans love Australia ("If I could move there, I would!"), and I have Aussie mates who really enjoy the United States, particularly California. Although these are my personal experiences, has anyone noticed or had similar experiences about the Aussie-Yankee attraction? What is it that we admire about the other?
What the two cultures have in common is their positive attitude. AND I've never worked with or heard an Aussie badmouth anybody. Both the U. S. and Australia share a tremendous work ethic. And I'll throw in that's one of the reasons why Japan respects the U. S. so much. The only culture that I've found similar in Canada is everyone from Newfoundland!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,821,934 times
We do? <ducking>

Old 08-10-2010, 04:08 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
What the two cultures have in common is their positive attitude. AND I've never worked with or heard an Aussie badmouth anybody. Both the U. S. and Australia share a tremendous work ethic. And I'll throw in that's one of the reasons why Japan respects the U. S. so much. The only culture that I've found similar in Canada is everyone from Newfoundland!
Don't be too naive for your own good!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 PM

291 posts, read 750,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
One of the reasons is America and Australia are democratic nations
Sorry the US is not a democracy more like a corporate cleptocracy.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,928 times
Technically the US is a Constitutional Republic, meaning there is no king officially. Only our election process is Democratic, meaning majority vote of our important government officials. The actual rule of law is in the hands of the police, politicians, and judges.

However, our current administration (as well as G W Bush, FDR, and Woodrow Wilson's) decided that the Constitution is obsolete, picking and choosing which parts of it they like and and ignoring the ones they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Sorry the US is not a democracy more like a corporate cleptocracy.
The reason some corporations are so powerful are because they are very close to our government (General Motors, big banks, NBC, General Electric for example) and can legislate wealth to themselves through earmarks that we don't even know about until the bill is even passed.

We need another George Washington...lol

Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM

28 posts, read 80,143 times
i will 2nd that texans and aussies are very much alike with a lil different type of land and the same kind of attitude

Old 08-21-2010, 03:36 PM

317 posts, read 526,841 times
Because one of Australia's former Prime Ministers liked to kiss George Bushes Arse.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,587,923 times
Aussie's and Americans both have that love open road, hit the highway attitude. Both appreciate a nice, fast muscle car.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,878,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Lucky you. Aussies not really different from anyone else and can assure you there is a lot of ill feeling in a lot of work places as well as bullying.Many will do no more work than is needed and quality debatable in many areas.
Never heard that the Japanese have so much respect for the US? Japanese are by nature polite but wouldn't read too much into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.