Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM

4,530 posts, read 12,348,235 times

Advertisements

Hello Ozzies,

I've a question for you. When it was put to a vote why did Australians choose "Advance Australia Fair" over "Waltzing Matilda" as a national anthem?

Admittedly, "Waltzing Matilda" isn't an especially dignified song compared to "God Save the Queen," or as ponderous as "Deutschland, Deutschland uber Alles" or as unsingable as "The Star-Spangled Banner", but wouldn't an exciting, rollicking, eminently singable national anthem have been a lot more fun?

True, there might have been a problem or two with the lyrics being about a sheep thief, but it's a song known worldwide for being intrinsically Australian.

And Waltzing Matilda really is quite versatile. When played mournfully, it works just as well for solemn occasions as celebratory ones.

Comments and a history on the debate at the time of the vote are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 09:01 PM

89 posts, read 207,119 times
Waltzing Matilda should be our national anthem

Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,052,832 times
Not a fan of Waltzing Matilda

Its about a guy who steals a sheep. Then kills himself, right?

-- after he catches the sheep "with glee"

I do not identify with this song.

On the other hand our anthem has lyrics such as

"young and free"
"our lands abound in nature's gifts"
"beneath our radiant southern cross"

These things are Australian.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:08 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,914,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Not a fan of Waltzing Matilda

Its about a guy who steals a sheep. Then kills himself, right?

-- after he catches the sheep "with glee"

I do not identify with this song.

On the other hand our anthem has lyrics such as

"young and free"
"our lands abound in nature's gifts"
"beneath our radiant southern cross"

These things are Australian.
I'm with you Waltzing Matilda is totally unsuitable for a nation anthem..i wasn't too keen on 'Advance' when it first came out but i have got used to it and it describes our country and what we stand for perfectly

Old 11-25-2010, 05:04 AM

112 posts, read 362,434 times
I personally hate both songs with waltzing matilda it is about a sheep steeling bum who killed himself and advance australia fair there is 2 verses but only the first is sung which not many people know. I would like to put forward a suggestion for the anthem and I would like a song that empitimises what australia is all about and that is..................................
A beer with duncan by slim dusty - imagine hearing that at the Olympic games!!!!

Old 11-25-2010, 05:48 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,825,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I'm with you Waltzing Matilda is totally unsuitable for a nation anthem..i wasn't too keen on 'Advance' when it first came out but i have got used to it and it describes our country and what we stand for perfectly
Probably is redolent of our national character, at least originally!

Still you're totally right. It's a nice folky sing-a-long but the lyrics are ridiculous to have as a NATIONAL anthem. Imagine us singing about stealing jumbucks at the Olympics. What will the rest of the world think of us? Come on, people, don't let sentimentalism get in the way of things.

What about 'I Still Call Australia Home?' by Peter Allen? You know, the one they used on the Qantas ads. Now I'd vote for that!

Old 11-25-2010, 06:10 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,942,885 times
There were 4 options for the new anthem.

God Save The Queen
Advance Australia Fair
Waltzing Matilda
Song Of Australia

"Song of Australia" wasn't very popular outside of South Australia, but just Imagine this as our anthem?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg6eDQJaBcU

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 11-25-2010 at 06:48 AM..

Old 11-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post

God Save The Queen
Advance Australia Fair
Waltzing Matilda
Song Of Australia

"Song of Australia" wasn't very popular outside of South Australia, but just Imagine this as our anthem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg6eDQJaBcU
The first one, of course, just meant not changing it from the current.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:11 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,702,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post

God Save The Queen
Advance Australia Fair
Waltzing Matilda
Song Of Australia

lol! I can see why it wasn't very popular. Has way too much of a Catholic Hymn sound to it for me. Just needed a few Almighty Gods and Angels on High and there you go!

I remember singing God Save the Queen in school. What a boring song. When I was little I always wondered what God was supposed to be saving her from. What sort of trouble was she getting herself into?

Waltzing Matilda is a cute song but doesn't have the gravitas a national anthem needs. So that leaves Advance Australia Fair.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
lol! I can see why it wasn't very popular. Has way too much of a Catholic Hymn sound to it for me. Just needed a few Almighty Gods and Angels on High and there you go!

I remember singing God Save the Queen in school. What a boring song. When I was little I always wondered what God was supposed to be saving her from. What sort of trouble was she getting herself into?

Waltzing Matilda is a cute song but doesn't have the gravitas a national anthem needs. So that leaves Advance Australia Fair.
Giving away your age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand