U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,554,472 times
Default Perth West Australia Overpriced, Bland Dullsville or Great Place to Live?

Perth,West Australia would appear to provoke folk more than other state capitals within the nation.

On the positive side it is often stated that it is a great place to bring up kids,has clean air and nice beaches not forgetting a wonderful climate.

On the negative side it is said to be a boring,conservative,narrow minded dullsville of a city.

Oh,and very expensive,being the capital of a resource state.

Wonder if there's not a little truth in both opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 AM

10,801 posts, read 4,772,175 times
Yes, I've wondered whether other cities get so much discussion as Perth does on this subject. Not Melbourne and Sydney, of course, but do residents of Adelaide, Hobart, or Darwin argue about whether they're boring dullsvilles or not? Or is it just Perth?

There's definite truth in all you've mentioned about Perth. Some would argue about the "boring, conservative, narrow minded dullsville of a city" opinion - it depends on the person. Probably more Perth-born types would argue with you while more migrants might agree? as well as younger people.

But it's sure a ...... different place, that's for sure. Definitely feels like the far end of the world to me. With nice beaches, clean air and lovely weather (except for the extremely hot days).

Last edited by Vichel; 06-15-2011 at 02:11 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,554,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yes, I've wondered whether other cities get so much discussion as Perth does on this subject. Not Melbourne and Sydney, of course, but do residents of Adelaide, Hobart, or Darwin argue about whether they're boring dullsvilles or not? Or is it just Perth?

There's definite truth in all you've mentioned about Perth. Some would argue about the "boring, conservative, narrow minded dullsville of a city" opinion - it depends on the person. Probably more Perth-born types would argue with you while more migrants might agree? as well as younger people.

But it's sure a ...... different place, that's for sure. Definitely feels like the far end of the world to me. With nice beaches, clean air and lovely weather (except for the extremely hot days).
Besides a little criticism of Adelaide in the way that it to is boring I really don't believe that I have read or heard more discussion on another Australian city.

Suspect the isolation does contribute somewhat. Indeed a number of younger folk appear to quit in recent years and many with no intention of returning,once they've experienced life outside.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 AM

1,508 posts, read 869,165 times
Most people could also say Newcastle is a dull and uninteresting city too.
Depends on what age you are as to whether you find a city dull or not.
Funny thing is I love this city, and Perth ticks all the boxes as well.
Adelaide gets it's fair share of criticism in the dullsville stakes as well.
Bottom line is Perth has everything a family could hope for, great beaches, sunshine and lifestyle.
If they played the right code of football - it would be completely perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand