Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,818,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well I find the people of Queensland have an slightly different accent compared to other states. Also there is an NSW accent. Victoria accent and South Australian accent. Not sure with Western Australian accent either.
I can sometimes tell someone who grew up in NSW or Queensland by the way they say words like 'dance', 'pants', not just the fact they don't don't say 'dahns' as often as say, South Aussies, but there's a certain quality about it.

I wouldn't say WA has an accent or even a semblance of one, apart from how we supposedly say 'beer' as 'bee-ah', which I've heard all over the country. The fact most people are from elsewhere in Oz or overseas probably explains that. Someone else was asking if Australia was the largest area with a single accent and no doubt that's true, a legacy of the fact most of the population developed in a few colonies separated by long distances and more connected to the sea and each other than much of the hinterland, less accessible in those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,700,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Someone else was asking if Australia was the largest area with a single accent and no doubt that's true, a legacy of the fact most of the population developed in a few colonies separated by long distances and more connected to the sea and each other than much of the hinterland, less accessible in those days.
Interesting explanation for that, thanks. Yes, we have no "Midwest" or "Prairie" accent like the US and Canada. Coast to coast we sound much the same. Eastern US or Canada is vastly different to their west coasts whereas ours is so similar as to be indiscernible to most people. The Kiwis have more distinctness with their North Island / South Island accent differences as well as the Maori accent.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times
Best way to tell where someone comes from in Australia is ask them what they call processed sandwich meat.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,718,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Best way to tell where someone comes from in Australia is ask them what they call processed sandwich meat.
You may get a different answer there too, depending what state you are in, or they are from. (eg devon vs poloney vs others).

Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
You may get a different answer there too, depending what state you are in, or they are from. (eg devon vs poloney vs others).
That's the point.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,818,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
It's poloney here in WA.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM

5,022 posts, read 7,439,550 times
Geez if somebody asked me what poloney was, I would have had a wild guess and said its a remote island in Polonesia, the ball they hit around in a game of polo, or something like that, but processed meat?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Geez if somebody asked me what poloney was, I would have had a wild guess and said its a remote island in Polonesia, the ball they hit around in a game of polo, or something like that, but processed meat?
Depending on where you are in Oz it might be called:

- Fritz
- Empire sausage
- Polony
- Devon
- Luncheon
- Belgian
- Rokeby roast

My favourite (and definately the most appetising sounding) is wheel meat.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,700,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's poloney here in WA.
I've lived here almost 12 years and I didn't know that!

Probably because I've always known it as mortadella, sopressa, prosciutto, copa, etc. Or if I wanted a Skip type sanger ... ham. I didn't know that was the generic name for sandwich meats and that it varies state to state. Interesting stuff you learn here.

I wonder what they call it in NZ?

Last edited by Vichel; 06-29-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 PM

5,022 posts, read 7,439,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I've lived here almost 12 years and I didn't know that!

Probably because I've always known it as mortadella, sopressa, prosciutto, copa, etc. Or if I wanted a Skip type sanger ... ham.
Me to acutally, of the list BCC gave Luncheon would certainly be the one i would use.

Maybe i should start travelling in my own country a bit more. Who knows what other wonderfull words and phrases the Southerners and Westerners use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand