U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 PM

7,650 posts, read 1,444,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
And even Sydney, nobody goes into the city on a Sunday, bar a few tourists.
You must have been going to the wrong places! As other99 says, there is always plenty going on - day and night - on Sundays at The Rocks, Chinatown/Haymarket, Darling Harbour, Oxford Street/Darlinghurst. Sure, all those places are more than 100 metres from Wynyard station, but they still count as being part of the inner city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:48 PM

1,939 posts, read 1,365,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Places like the Rocks, Town Hall, Haymarket, Kings Cross,Darling Harbour, Oxford street, Pitt Street Mall (anyway there was an expansion of Westfield there not so long ago), Sydney football ground and Sydney Cricket ground beg to defer.
I wouldn't call Kings Cross, Darling Harbour, Oxford Street, the SFS or the SCG part of the CBD. And I'd say Haymarket is on the CBD fringe. The Rocks is for tourists, but I'll concede the new Westfield has made Pitt Street mall slightly more bearable and busy.

The CBD is definately more crowded now on weekends than it was 7 or 8 years ago. I remember going into work on weekends and it was completely deserted.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 AM

7,650 posts, read 1,444,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
And even Sydney, nobody goes into the city on a Sunday, bar a few tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I wouldn't call Kings Cross, Darling Harbour, Oxford Street, the SFS or the SCG part of the CBD. And I'd say Haymarket is on the CBD fringe. The Rocks is for tourists, but I'll concede the new Westfield has made Pitt Street mall slightly more bearable and busy.

The CBD is definately more crowded now on weekends than it was 7 or 8 years ago. I remember going into work on weekends and it was completely deserted.
I guess it's a matter of semantics - the CBD (which I understand is not a term used by many Americans) is not the same as what most Americans would describe as 'downtown'.

Saying nobody goes into the city on a Sunday, bar a few tourists, implies that tourists in Sydney on a Sunday would find it difficult to find something to do, and other people (including locals) to do it with. Clearly this is not the case. The Rocks may be popular with tourists, but it is certainly not for them - plenty of people live there (including me at one time).

Old 07-03-2011, 04:33 AM

107 posts, read 119,812 times
Sydney's CBD is becoming more residential, that said, you can't compare a Friday night in the City with the after work crowd with a Saturday night. The city fringe areas like The Rocks, darlinghurst, Newtown, Paddington, etc are a different story. The Rocks is a great place for tourists and locals, it's pubs are full all weekend. Darling Harbour and King St Wharf are 2 other awesome entertainment areas. Sunday is a quieter day in the middle of the city which makes a welcome change from the hussle and bustle of the other 6 days. Head down to Circular Quay on a Sunday, it's still full of tourists and locals, even try Stanley St East Sydney.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
Sydney's CBD is becoming more residential, that said, you can't compare a Friday night in the City with the after work crowd with a Saturday night. The city fringe areas like The Rocks, darlinghurst, Newtown, Paddington, etc are a different story.
I live on the border between Paddington and Woollahra, it's most definately not like the CBD. I'd say the same for places like Newtown, Surry Hills are Darlinghurst. The CBD on a Friday night is work drinks, and on a Saturday night is decidedly bogan.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 AM

24,693 posts, read 18,024,668 times
Quote:
I agree. There's nothing in the CBD of Sydney. It's very different to Melbourne in that sense.
That's a weird thing to say. I find both CBD's equally crowded during business hours and weekends. In fact, Sydney seems even more crowded. How exactly are you defining the CBD anyway, because I'd definitely consider say George and Pitt Street and Martin Place the CBD, as I would Bourke Street and all these places are pretty busy any time of the week.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Sounds like you went through Southern New Mexico instead of Northern New Mexico? Because there is some spectacular scenery in Northern New Mexico. (Of course, with the brushfires raging there now, maybe it's less so these days).

As for Texas, everyone outside the state assumes it's all desert and ranches when, in fact, it has several geographic/climatic zones ranging from pine forests in the northeast to bayous in the southeast, sunny beaches in the south, deserts and rugged mountains in the far west, and prairie in the north-central, as well as the Hill Country which you mentioned. It's hard to appreciate it all from the Interstate but, even on the Interstate, it can take upwards of 12-14 hours to cross Texas, depending on where you're going and what your route is, so I understand why most people don't travel the road less taken simply because the state is so big.
We pretty much went top to bottom, from Monument Valley era down to Santa Fe through Roswell and Carslbad Caverns.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You need to venture to cities like DC, NY, Boston, Philly, Baltimore (Inner Harbor), Charleston, Savannah, Chicago, SF, Seattle, Portland, SanDiego, Tucson, Austin, South Beach, etc. etc. The cities that have substantial downtown populations are much more lively.

There are many vibrant cities in the US. Get out of Memphis and try some other locales. Keep in mind it is now high summer, and lot's of the young folks have beach houses with friends and are not in the cities. Need to escape the heat!
As for major cities, I've been to LA, SD, LV, Austin, Houston, NOLA, Memphis, Nashville, DC, the burbs of Philly, NYC and Boston so it's not like I haven't experienced city life in America!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's a weird thing to say. I find both CBD's equally crowded during business hours and weekends. In fact, Sydney seems even more crowded. How exactly are you defining the CBD anyway, because I'd definitely consider say George and Pitt Street and Martin Place the CBD, as I would Bourke Street and all these places are pretty busy any time of the week.
Go for a walk down Martin Place at 1230 today, then repeat tomorrow. Then tell me it's equally as busy.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 AM

11,009 posts, read 5,740,972 times
Quote:
Go for a walk down Martin Place at 1230 today, then repeat tomorrow. Then tell me it's equally as busy.
^^ this is pretty much true.

The CBD in Sydney is a ghost town on the weekend, with the inner city areas like Darlinghurst, Surry Hills, Leichhardt etc very busy

edit: barr the rocks, which is quite busy with the markets etc

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 07-18-2011 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand