Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times

Advertisements

I think Australians have mastered the fine art of taking the **** out on someone. I once met a yank who claimed to have a thick skin in Adelaide who driven to tears about the ribbing she was getting (and she wanted to go back to Dallas). Unfortunately as an openly George Bush loving Republican she was an easy target from her peers. I told her to throw it back or pretend she was an actress and that she "disliked Georgie". Seemed to work (not sure which, throwing it back or pretending her dislike for George).

So why do you think Aussies like taking the pi## out on folks? Could this be part of the tall poppy syndrome and putting folks who think they are better than us down? Or is it just fun? Also advise to the unitiated?

Sorry for the typos in the title of the thread (damned ipad keyboard).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I think Australians have mastered the fine art of taking the **** out on someone. I once met a yank who claimed to have a thick skin in Adelaide who driven to tears about the ribbing she was getting (and she wanted to go back to Dallas). Unfortunately as an openly George Bush loving Republican she was an easy target from her peers. I told her to throw it back or pretend she was an actress and that she "disliked Georgie". Seemed to work (not sure which, throwing it back or pretending her dislike for George).

So why do you think Aussies like taking the pi## out on folks? Could this be part of the tall poppy syndrome and putting folks who think they are better than us down? Or is it just fun? Also advise to the unitiated?

I would have taking the **** out of her as well for being a George Bush loving staunch Republican! She certainly would not survive in CA waving that banner...they would put her in a crate and ship her back to the Big D!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
A Seppo loving George Bush?
Easy pickings

Yes, its a .... tendency we have....we don't take too much seriously, if you get ribbed (or ... "if someone was giving you s**t") best to send it back with a straight bat.

It is just a bit of fun, and no harm is intended. Must be able to take it, just as much as they give it too.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
A Seppo loving George Bush?
Easy pickings

Yes, its a .... tendency we have....we don't take too much seriously, if you get ribbed (or ... "if someone was giving you s**t") best to send it back with a straight bat.

It is just a bit of fun, and no harm is intended. Must be able to take it, just as much as they give it too.
Very easy pickings!

Yes a lot can dish it but can't seem to take it

I can't wait to be ribbed...I like ribbing back

Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:

Very smart Mini

Although I dont regularly take the Pi## out of someone unless I know them very well., I consider it a pretty an endering aussie trait.

Of course most forigners just don't know its our own way of saying welcome, and have fun. Often on this forum it seems poeple interpret it as racism, which I think is quite sad.

Of course in todays modern society we are all expected to be PC, and I suppose the whole concept will just die out one day, which is also sad.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-04-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Very smart Mini

Although I dont regularly take the Pi## out of someone unless I know them very well., I consider it a pretty an endering aussie trait.

Of course most forigners just don't know its our own way of say welcome, and have fun. Often on this forum it seems poeple interpret it as racism, which I think is quite sad.

Of course in todays modern society we are all expected to be PC, and I suppose the whole concept will just die out one day, which is also sad.
Oh that gets me quite annoyed.

and the more PC I am exepcted to be... I find myself being more & more un-PC ... resistence!

Of course though, things can be taken too far. I think most know when to draw the line though.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I would have taking the **** out of her as well for being a George Bush loving staunch Republican! She certainly would not survive in CA waving that banner...they would put her in a crate and ship her back to the Big D!
To be honest.. she wasn't my favorite person, but I still felt bad the day I saw her with red eyes and she asked how I handled the ribbing. I told her to just act, throw it back and do NOT react negatively or else that would intensify the ribbing.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Very easy pickings!

Yes a lot can dish it but can't seem to take it

I can't wait to be ribbed...I like ribbing back
good!

The best thing is to not be offended. Growing up an "ethnic" (I was born here BTW) here, well... I learnt quickly to give it back as much as they dished it out.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Too be honest.. she wasn't my favorite person, but I still felt bad the day I saw her with red eyes and she asked how I handled the ribbing.
You'd think you would be spelling words correctly by now Mini !

Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Very smart Mini

Of course most forigners just don't know its our own way of say welcome, and have fun. Often on this forum it seems poeple interpret it as racism, which I think is quite sad.

Do you think this trait is related to the Tall Poppy syndrome? Where you attack the nob that thinks they know more than you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand