Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 03:15 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,296 times

Advertisements

I miss bananas being $1.50/kilo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 03:17 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
$10.99/kilo for bananas is highway robbery! but then again I'm not surprised.... I remember Oz to be extremely expensive the last time I visited and that was almost 8 years or so ago now.
$12 kg at my local IGA, and thats in QLD.

No imports + very high basic wage+ cyclone = High prices.

Had to laught today at the vacaction section of the paper. A week in thailand for $1000 including flights, 4 nights in Rainbow beach (small town north of noosa) $1500, and a big atricle about how Airlie Beach has become airlie Bleak, because of all the vacant shops in the town.

You dont have to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together do you.

Still we cant control the price of our dollar.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:23 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
When we were in Bali in July, we gorged on bananas. So many but I doubt we managed to eat $10 worth they were so cheap there.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:12 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Exclamation I bought three bananas!

I cooked some bananas on an outdoor BBQ with a friend last weekend.
Split two in half, fried em up and added some nice finishing touches.
My friend was impressed, and I was quite content to bring back fond cooking memories from Canada.

I don't think the banana prices are murder,
if you only eat them as an occaisional treat.
At $10.99/kg, for three large bananas it was like $4-something.
Even a can of cheap beer is more expensive than that here.
Also cheaper than most Australian seafood.
I think it is mostly shock that a plain piece of fruit should fetch such a high price.

As was my experience with other Aussie produce,
the bananas I had were some of the best I've ever eaten from a grocery store.
Only better banana I've had was fresh bananas picked that morning from my B&B in NewOrleans.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
We Aussies make a HUGE deal over a few dollars. It's as if bananas are like petrol, or something. Seriously, how many bananas do you monkeys eat a week? I like bananas myself, they're convenient, nutritious, filling and taste fairly good (or at least familiar) but even at $10 a kilo it's not like you're spending a fortune on bananas or breaking the bank. I've hardly eaten bananas recently because mum doesn't buy them as much but I can wait until the banana growing areas up north recover. I can, believe it or not, get by without 'em, lol.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
I normally save on bananas by buying banana chips.

$3 for 400 gram package from Coles.
Dried, sliced, cooked in coconut oil and a bit of honey or sugar.
Very tasty and much cheaper than $10.99/kg since there's no banana peel in the bag.
Either they are using imported bananas, or someone in Coles isn't very bright.

Good snack.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
When we were in Bali in July, we gorged on bananas. So many but I doubt we managed to eat $10 worth they were so cheap there.
I asked my mom and she just paid 59 cents a pound here in the USA the other day for bananas.

I'm surprised there is not an underground black market banana trade going on.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM

6 posts, read 10,104 times
You're right "wanneroo",
one can only wonder how they manage to grow these bananas ALL the way down in South America, ship them ALL the way up to ALL over the States plus to me here in Canada and STILL manage to only charge $0.59 per pound (or $1.29 for the metrically inclined). Yet in Aus you can't buy them 50km from where they grow them for less than $12kg according to "danielsa" in Queensland.

Anyone hear the words "rip-off"????

And referring back to the OP's question - that's certainly something "unique" about Australia LOL.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekky View Post
You're right "wanneroo",
one can only wonder how they manage to grow these bananas ALL the way down in South America, ship them ALL the way up to ALL over the States plus to me here in Canada and STILL manage to only charge $0.59 per pound (or $1.29 for the metrically inclined). Yet in Aus you can't buy them 50km from where they grow them for less than $12kg according to "danielsa" in Queensland.

Anyone hear the words "rip-off"????

And referring back to the OP's question - that's certainly something "unique" about Australia LOL.
I live about 1500 km from where they grow acutally, its a long way from Brisbane to Tully and its hard to get them because the cyclone wiped out virtually the entire crop this year.

Anyway i agree with Trimac, we are the biggest bunch of whingers on earth, thats pretty unique to Australia.

The biggest rip of in Australia, is the high salaries we pay our unskilled labourers, where else in the world can a person working 40hrs a week flipping hamburgers at maccas earn a salary of around $34,000 US p/a plus a 9% a complusory pension contribution, and pay income tax at a rate of less than 9 cents in the dollar on that income. Thats pretty unique to Australia to

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-18-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 05:54 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
To me it seems like a never ending cycle...higher salaries cause higher prices which in turn demand higher salaries... which I guess is good for Aussies internationally.. because it makes most places abroad incredibly cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand