Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 17,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I LOVE visiting NZ. I have never had a bad experience (except for a rather unpleasant B&B owner and the big storm of 2004). The countryside is spectacular, there is SO much to see and do and it takes only 15 hours to get there (which isn't bad when you think it takes me 10 hours to get to Heathrow). Whether I'm visiting friends in the big city or driving thro the wilds of Otago I just drink it all in and have a wonderful time. I know it's not perfect and living there can be hard work, but it's still one of my favourite places.
Yes, I've heard that living there is really hard, but anyway.. I'm not going to stay there for the rest of my life, I'm just interested in their culture and history and there's a lot to see and know, as you've said.
Thank you all for giving advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joelle View Post
Yes, I've heard that living there is really hard, but anyway.. I'm not going to stay there for the rest of my life, I'm just interested in their culture and history and there's a lot to see and know, as you've said.
Thank you all for giving advice.
its easy enough to see maori culture in NZ.. esp. on the north island.
rotorua would be a good place to check out.. as well as googling
maori culture is not dead or gone

Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
I doubt NZ is one of the most visited countries. If I recall, France received 82 million visitors in one of the last years. Personally, I like that every time I've visited, there have been very little tourists outside of the major cities or places like Queenstown.

After having a quick look, NZ isn't even in the top ten of the Asia-Pacific region (Aus is number 10).

Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Most people in Oz tend to head to tropical places before they go to NZ, on the east coast - places like Fiji, Vanuatu etc - on the west coast they tend to head to Bali, or even Thailand.
Obviously this has to do with package deals and affordability, as well as the lure of the tropics.
In saying that, the number of Aussies that go to NZ at least once in their life-time would stil be very high, and would be on most people's "bucket list".
It is seen more as a driving and adventure tour, similar to Tasmania in some ways, something you need to really have time to do and plan.
If and when Newcastle becomes an International Airport, I will more than likely go there.

Last edited by Derek40; 10-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: extra

Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Most people in Oz tend to head to tropical places before they go to NZ -
KA?? lol

NZ is the number one destination for Australians, Aus govt statistics.

4102.0 - Australian Social Trends, Sep 2010

[

Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
World Tourism rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nope, NZ isn't anywhere NEAR the top. Even Australia gets only 5.8 million visitors a year, less than 1/12th the visitors to France.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
KA?? lol

NZ is the number one destination for Australians, Aus govt statistics.

4102.0 - Australian Social Trends, Sep 2010

[
To be honest this is very surprising. I'm sure many of those are Kiwis who live here now too who became Aussie citizens. I think it's more common for those on the East Coast to visit NZ. Of people I know, only a minority have ever been to NZ, as it's pretty far from WA. I don't know how this will match up with the actual stats, but from personal experience the most common holiday destinations seem to be:

Indonesia (mostly Bali)
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
NZ
UK

Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
To be honest this is very surprising. I'm sure many of those are Kiwis who live here now too who became Aussie citizens. I think it's more common for those on the East Coast to visit NZ. Of people I know, only a minority have ever been to NZ, as it's pretty far from WA. I don't know how this will match up with the actual stats, but from personal experience the most common holiday destinations seem to be:

Indonesia (mostly Bali)
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore
NZ
UK
ROTFL, Nice try trying to suggest the ALL 500K kiwis living in Aus return home every year lol, its prob 10% of that at a high side guess. Love that Aussie arrogance its kinda cute

Its not too surprised, often bump into Aussie tourists. Most seem to enjoy NZ for the scenery and small town feel of most centres.

For the record NZ gets around 2.5million visiters each year, about half that of what Australia gets.

umm Aussie wins your more popular !! winning!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Here are a few more reasons to visit NZ:

- Rugby. And congrats to the All Blacks for a well deserved win over the wallabies Ive put away the gold and green and I will now looking for my old All Blacks t-shirt
- Their national anthem is actually more interesting than gasp, Advance Australia fair...

Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
N.Z. is mostly a young persons place for those that are into outdoor pursuits, if you are after an "adrenelin rush" then that is the place to go. Lots of backpackers from all over the world not just from Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand