U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 AM

206 posts, read 149,043 times
Well, I would say it's a matter of how wealthy you are, if you're rich, Sydney no question!
If you're not very wealthy, I'd probably go with Brisbane, it's a bargain, a great city and the countries 3rd largest city. So it's size means you have good access to quality jobs and universities. It's just an hour from the Gold Coast as well, with a lower cost of living than Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
Here are the major cities average house prices.
Sydney $550,000
Melbourne $483,500
Perth $453,000
Brisbane $425,000
Adelaide $387,000
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM

9,692 posts, read 11,397,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
But perhaps that well has run dry now. This thread has certainly lasted longer than I ever thought it might, and has been very useful to us with it's wide array of fantastically informative posts.

Thanks again to all who have taken the time to share their insight on this subject.
I think it's rather that it's time for you to find context in all the things you've heard about by starting to experience them in person. People could continue to list dozens of suburbs and towns and it only still provide one dimension and it doesn't really help you any further.

The best thing is to travel down there with what information you have and go from there. That will provide another dimension of understanding, you will answer some questions and will find new questions to ask and then probably people here will able to help you even more as you journey down that path of discovery.

You have limited choices anyways as Australia only has a few large cities and metro districts with population, such as Cairns or the Gold Coast.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM

463 posts, read 432,435 times
Interesting thread. Begs the question...any closer to a decision, ScooterPilot?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 513 times
Im a New Zealander with 7 children, live in Hawkes Bay, my husband is a semi top earner, which we need just to survive, we get no housing help due to our income, the cost of living is ridiculous here in Hawkes Bay and no way we could afford Auckland (has been ranked int he past as one of the worlds priciest cities for families) I have never felt any kind of strong community here in New zealand at all. I desperately want to move, and cant afford to, cant afford to buy, there is literally no jobs for myself, and barely any jobs for my husband. Im told some parts of the South Island are better but you pay more in power, and they ave a stronger sense of community, but I dont know. I want to move to the gold coast or brisbane. I have had 5 friends both single, families, low and higher paid careers, and every one of them does not regret leaving NZ, most are in Brisbane.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 PM

1,056 posts, read 565,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBeepRabbi View Post
Im a New Zealander with 7 children, live in Hawkes Bay, my husband is a semi top earner, which we need just to survive, we get no housing help due to our income, the cost of living is ridiculous here in Hawkes Bay and no way we could afford Auckland (has been ranked int he past as one of the worlds priciest cities for families) I have never felt any kind of strong community here in New zealand at all. I desperately want to move, and cant afford to, cant afford to buy, there is literally no jobs for myself, and barely any jobs for my husband. Im told some parts of the South Island are better but you pay more in power, and they ave a stronger sense of community, but I dont know. I want to move to the gold coast or brisbane. I have had 5 friends both single, families, low and higher paid careers, and every one of them does not regret leaving NZ, most are in Brisbane.

Ah another 1 post poster bit negative towards NZ, how odd never seen that before!, sounds nearly legit so lets have a look.

Anyway couple of things since your talking Brisbane

- Electricity is now more expensive in Aus including QLD (sorry to break that to you so harshly).

- Sydney is more expensiveness than Auckland ( sorry Auckland isn't the most expensive in the world, not even close despite the sensational drivel that stuff.co.nz tells you).

- Your Career friends are notoriously low paid in either country, probably a little better in Aus.

- The Cost of Living in Brisbane is higher than the Hawkes bay, I can promise you that however your hubby will likely earn more, with no details hard to say.

- 7 kids and one income!!!!, good grief I think I see your problem and its not NZ, but you know blame the country if you want!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 2,774,523 times
7 kids and one income - that's probably going to be a struggle anywhere.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM

423 posts, read 91,175 times
Quote:
I live in Maleny and the sense of community here is so good. I love it to bits and it's such a beautiful peaceful place. You can have your acreage (lifestyle block) dream out here, be as alternative as you want and raise a family right. Come have a look if you can.

Maleny Botanic Gardens | An Unforgettable Experience
The Maleny Markets - Home
Maleny Realty > Real Estate Agent Maleny | Mapleton | Montville | Sunshine Coast Hinterland
https://www.facebook.com/MalenyDairies
Maleny Mountain Wines Home Page

p.s. it is possible to commute to Brisbane from Landsborough station http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-in...orough-station but I'd say look for work in Caboolture or Nambour first.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 513 times
Well in reply to others, 1st off, I havnt had a choice in how many kids I have had, But I wouldnt go back and change a thing, We earn more than most people so we survive, but we see our limits, now some of the families I mentioned are large like us and are doing fine in Brisbane, and there are ten times the jobs avail to my husband compared to here in Hawkes Bay. And I didnt say Auckland was the most expensive, I said it was one of and in the past. And I never mentioned Sydney, their Rent is astronomical. But jobs in Brisbane are $150,000-$200,00 a year for my husband whereas, my husband here is earning $90,000, and from Wellington, theres nothing in Hawkes Bay, and its not enough to get us out. So I say HB is ridiculous as the cost of living is almost the same as Auckland for us bit no higher paid jobs to meet it. And if we go back 4 children, back then he only earnt $30,000 in Auckland as he didnt have the experience, so that goes against us, end up in debt then we found ourselves pregnant with twins. But I will go against NZ, as I said, it doesnt matter how many kids you have, the cost is still high in places that I mentioned and there is no help for people like me. I do not like hand outs, but we were desperate at 2 different times including recently and we got no where. How can i love Nz when no one including places like housing nz ever want to help in our experiences? Trying to get a rental alone took us so long, and not for a lack of big housing either. And if we are earning enough, then higher expenses like power dont matter too much too us. And Im not going against people anywhere other than Hawkes Bay and Auckland community wise, as Im sure there are people out there who do care, Im one of them lol. And there is nothing wrong with me having a large family I might add, Yes it is hard, but no more than a smaller family, it just costs a bit more obviously. However it is hard to see people with one child, working full time both, and living in a state house for over 10 years and getting benefits, and we are judged for earning too much? Because Im telling ya you need to earn more if you have more children and Im damn lucky I have a husband who can earn as much as he can. NZ vs Brisbane (suburbs) theres no question where Id be if I could, and I have to been to Brisbane to stay for a bit. Ive also live in Taupo, and Cambridge and Dannevirke and smaller places like Makutuku. I know where I would go.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 513 times
"I live in Maleny and the sense of community here is so good. I love it to bits and it's such a beautiful peaceful place. You can have your acreage (lifestyle block) dream out here, be as alternative as you want and raise a family right. Come have a look if you can."

Wish I could, but I cant even afford basic stuff at the moment let alone a plane ride to Aus. One day, One Day I hope to find a better place.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 PM

1,056 posts, read 565,381 times
Quote:
Well in reply to others, 1st off, I havnt had a choice in how many kids I have had, But I wouldnt go back and change a thing, We earn more than most people so we survive, but we see our limits, now some of the families I mentioned are large like us and are doing fine in Brisbane, and there are ten times the jobs avail to my husband compared to here in Hawkes Bay.

I should certainly hope so, you are comparing a relatively insignificant NZ farming province of only 150,000 people to a Aus capital city of over 2 million or 2.5+ if you take in the gold coast and Sunshine Coast.

Its a more fair comparison comparing Toowomba to the Hawkes Bay.

What does your husband do exactly?, you haven't stated its hard to understand the context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand