Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Not sure what generous deductions you're referring to in the US but NZ has franking credits on dividends and no capital gains tax, Austraila has subsidised property investment (through negative gearing) a 50% CGT deduction if an asset is held for more than 12 months and fully franked dividends. On top of that Superannuation funds have very low rates of tax and are not capped.
In the US, you have a variety of tax deductible investment plans, health savings accounts, mortgage interest deduction, a variety of credits, health care costs deductions, moving and educational expenses deductions, etc.

It's been a few years but I remember doing a direct comparison and especially with Australia's higher marginal rates, you were better off in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:39 PM

93 posts, read 348,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
This article shows four examples of rather typical Queenslander houses - the first two I would describe as posh, the second two more middle class.

Queenslander (architecture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are beautiful. We'd love to settle into something like that. They remind us a lot of what is known as a Key West design in the states…which is also colonial in nature with emphasis on a big covered front porch.

How common would you say they are around Brisbane?

I assume (based on minibrings's response) that they are not that common around Adalaide…am I correct?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Can someone with intimate knowledge of Brisbane post information on areas of Brisbane that are worth considering as well as driving distance to airport? Below is my quick overview of ADL areas to consider:

North Adelaide - I've previously discussed. (25 minutes to airport)
Unley - south of Adelaide, another upscale area with good shopping districts yet easy access to the CBD. (20 min to airport)
Norwood - 4 km east of Adelaide. Good schools, nice neighborhoods, cool shopping area called the parade: (25 min to airport)
The Parade Norwood - Restaurants, Cafes, Shopping & Fashion Adelaide, South Australia (SA) - City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters
Burnside - eastern suburbs, stretches to the foothills, upscale, good schools (30 min to airport)
Burnside, South Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Adelaide Hills - rural environment, yet close to the city. Wine region know for cooler climate wines. Hahndorf - german themed village. (40 min to airport, nice drive!)
Adelaide Hills
Henley Beach - seaside suburb, close to the airport. Gulf St Vincent has relatively calm waters, nice sandy beaches. 15-20 to airport, depending on where you live. 20 min to city. The sections closest to the beach are nicest (modern beachfront homes). Further inland housing is ho-hum.
South Australia - Henley Beach
South Australia - Adelaide & Surrounds

Avoid any area north of North Adelaide, IMO. More bogan. Not as scenic.
Brisbane ???
Thanks minibrings! What a fantastically informative post…simply outstanding! One of the best yet. Very VERY helpful.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Adelaide Hills are very nice, but pricey.

My sister lives in Warradale, between Brighton and Glenelg (not sure if you're familiar with that area mini), so I know that area fairly well. Close to the beach and seems like there are still some affordable houses in the area.

Had a friend who lived on Carrington Street, in the southern part of the CBD. Amazingly quiet for being right in the city. Hardly hear the sound of traffic anytime of day, and you wake to the sound of birdsong. It was a heritage listed place, very nice. It was quieter than our place in the suburbs away from any main road. That's the beauty of Adelaide, there are places in the city square area itself and surrounding suburbs like North Adelaide and Unley which, because of Colonel Light's plan, are amazingly quiet for a city centre. Lots of nice parkland too to enjoy.
Good to know info, making Adailade only that much more appealing to us! Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterPilot View Post
They are beautiful. We'd love to settle into something like that. They remind us a lot of what is known as a Key West design in the states…which is also colonial in nature with emphasis on a big covered front porch.

I assume (based on minibrings's response) that they are not that common around Adalaide…am I correct?
I'd say they're pretty common in and around Brisbane, more so in the older suburbs (which are generally those closer to the centre of the city).

I can't speak for Adelaide as it's years since I've been. Nice architectural styles there (in the city/near city areas), but not like Queenslanders IIRC.

This article gives a great overview of architectural styles in Australia and where you might find them. Forget about the cave though!

Australian residential architectural styles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM

425 posts, read 995,779 times
Those Queenslanders are pretty common in the inner suburbs of Brisbane - my brother has owned two of them, and there are a lot in his neighborhood.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:

Nope. Since Adelaide does not have a humid climate... those Queensland houses are built off the ground for better ventilation, I reckon. You can find bluestone cottages in South Australia similar to this one in North Adelaide that you can rent as you explore the city:
Bluestone Cottage, North Adelaide, SA - Book with Rent-A-Home.com.au

Adelaide does not have many flash highrise buildings. It does have a wealth of colonial and art deco structures. If you do a flickr search you should see some o f the architecture styles. I enjoyed walking about with my camera as you always found things to photograph. A gargoyle hear, art deco lights there. I appreciated the fact that they were not in the habit of tearing down classic buildings for soulless modern boxes. Ugly boxes do exist, but there are heaps of beautiful buildings to check out, such as these at Uni Adelaide (where I studied)
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/tours/

BTW, I spent many hours watching cricket at the beautiful Adelaide Oval (Adelaide Hills in the background). When I fly into town I make sure I am on the left side of the plane as it provides the best view of the Oval. The ugly tall building on the right is the tallest in the city (not very tall at that).. the Santos Building. On the left you see many red tile roofs.. that's part of the city campus of Uni ADL.

BTW, I don't know who this bloke is, but he has pictures of Glenelg, which is a beachside suburb of ADL, there is a tram that heads into the city into Glenelg. Also shows shopping area called Rundle St. I used to take the tram down to go to the best Starbucks I've ever seen (now closed). It was 1 building from oceanfront and had a nice large outdoor cafe where I could watch the sea as I drank my latte.
http://melanieandco.typepad.com/my_w.../12/index.html

Funny story: a friend of mine came to visit me from NY. When he got back to NY he told me people were giving him funny looks as he was smiling at people and saying Good Morning. Two days before, we were walking around the Adelaide parklands and people were smiling and saying G'day; he got into greeting people back and it did not work in NY. LOL.

Last edited by minibrings; 10-27-2011 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:

The are everywhere in the older inner city suburbs of brisbane, and i admit the renovated ones do look beautiful, the unrennovated ones not so much.

New Farm, where all thoes pictures are taken would be wonderfull place for you to live, on the river 2km from the CBD, streets lined with coffee shops and resteraunts, and a large well equiped park it certainly would be my choice of suburb in Brisbane IF I could afford it, (its also very expensive). I will come up with some more afforable suburb suggestions for you like mini did for adelaide, but i had better do it latter, back to work for me

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-27-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The are everywhere in the older inner city suburbs of brisbane, and i admit the renovated ones do look beautiful, the unrennovated ones not so much.

New Farm, where all thoes pictures are taken would be wonderfull place for you to live, on the river 2km from the CBD, streets lined with coffee shops and resteraunts, and a large well equiped park it certainly would be my choice of suburb in Brisbane IF I could afford it, (its also very expensive). I will come up with some more afforable suburb suggestions for you like mini did for adelaide, but i had better do it latter, back to work for me
I'm looking forward to getting to know Brissy better through you!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I've been to Brisbane twice now, but I really liked Paddington, Red Hill, Milton, Kelvin Grove - i.e. the older suburbs west of the CBD. Paddington is considered quite a 'hip' neighbourhood. Lots of colourful Queenslanders (both the houses and the people lol), cafes, shops etc but has a sort of quiet feel as well, apart from the main road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand