Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The White Australia Policy excluded non-Europeans. In the early years Southern and Eastern Europeans were strongly discriminated against. They have had more decades to integrate, however, although I think their strong sense of community/family helped them weather the early years.

Australia's crime rate is still one of the lowest in the world. I do acknowledge, however, members of certain ethnic groups do tend to involved in gangs/illegal activities. This seems to be more the case in Sydney and Melbourne than anywhere else. I never hear about ethnic gangs here in the West. Most immigrants from any culture try to integrate and soon become Australians. I don't see how non-white immigrants are any more prone to commit crime than non-whites. The stats bear that out.

Seems like you still want a White Australia that is a cultural clone of Britain. I'm sorry but things are changing, whether you like it or not. Australia is it's own continent, half way around the world from Mother Britain, and just because a bloke in a funny hat planted a flag at Botany Bay does not mean Australia is part of Europe.
Australia's crime rate is not that low actually. If you research you will find certain crimes rather high in the western perspective.
There have been some instances of ethnic based gangs in the west. The Sword Boys are middle east dominated and Dragon Boys if still going were of mostly Vietnamese origin.
Doubt if the poster would desire to be a clone of modern Britain,a nation whose cities have far more ethnic diversity than Australia's. Ethnic crime is rather high there. Australia doesn't have the ethnic variety to make be able to come to a conclusion,although saying that I believe ethnics of Vietnamese and Lebanese origin have high rates of inprisonment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM

41 posts, read 47,019 times
I lived in Manly, Sydney and some time in Kings Cross for 4 years and loved every minute of it, if I could have stayed longer I would have never left. I travelled a fair amount, east, south & west coasts & NZ south island for skiing. Best place on earth Quairading, sure there are those that will disagree but hey the people were so lovely and the place was great. Will never forget my time there. Also loved Eden & omg those muscles yum yum. I left in 2006 and I have no idea what it is like now but comparied to England it was way way better, for a start I felt pretty safe most of the time. Once I remember my hairdresser asking me if I walked about alone in Manly at night and I said yes of course if I leave before or after mates on a night out I just walk home. She was horrified but not once in four years did I have a problem nor in Kings Cross, and it was the same wherever I went in Oz. I have lived in my home town in England since I was a kid, only 13000 residents and I would not walk about here alone at night period.

Met some people from rural Queensland in a pub one eve, they were in Syd for some cattle market and they invited my guy & I up to stay, man we had the best time and we are still friends now. You don't get that here in Uk, people are too wrapped up in themselves. Not once did I come up against immigration complaints. I remember a great corner shop i used to used occasionally run by asians, I was still using my english credit card and once when I was hungover never checked the amount just put pin in. He tracked me down a few days later cos he had charged me $3000. That would not happen here, they would think oh well your loss you dozy cow. Most of the people I came across were great and tbh if you don't get on in Oz I don't think you'd stay.

I really hope no one ever thought I'd taken their job etc and would be really sad if they did cos I had the best time ever in your country and spent the majority of my time with true ozzies, some of whom have become friends for life.

There are w***ers everywhere, we have massive immigration probs here and some great some dreadful, i am sure it is the same in Oz whether they are British, Asian or whatever, some of you like our country and some of us like yours - fair trade really I'd say.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Australia's crime rate is not that low actually. If you research you will find certain crimes rather high in the western perspective.
Crime against property is relatively high, but, thankfully, crime against person is relatively low. Clearly the lesser of two evils.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Glad you had a good time Belle 1180. Country folk do tend to be a lot friendlier than city folk. Not sure if that's the case in England.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Good news for those who do complain about British immigration to Australia:
Record number of Britons leaving Australia and heading home - Telegraph

Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Posbbily shocked by how little they get for their pounds?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Its still a lower number. 60% of Pommies that arrived between 2005-2010 left. I think over 70% of Americans leave after 2-3 years.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Its still a lower number. 60% of Pommies that arrived between 2005-2010 left. I think over 70% of Americans leave after 2-3 years.
The latest ABS firgures I could find are from 2009, in that year 96,000 australian citizens left australia pernamently (mostly to UK NZ and USA), and 76,000 australian citizens who had previously indicated they were pernamently leaving returned.

Immigrating to a new country is not easy, seems a return rate of 60-80% might be quite normal amoung countries with similar living standards.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-03-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
I am extremely dubious about research based on a UK internet forum site, about ""going back to the UK"".
Anyone that was happy to be here would not be whinging on a site like that in the first place.
Secondly, I wonder when you talk about those that go back - how many of those were just young people doing a working tour anyway - as opposed to those that had actually applied for permanent residency here.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 PM

I think the biggest question about the British immigration to Australia is, why do so many of them move to perth? Perth really does seem to be "Little Britain"

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-03-2011 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand