Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:20 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Did anyone else find it hard to buy a poppy? Don't they normally sell them in the street?
Never really saw it sold in Adelaide and I see it less in the states (I used to see a vet wait outside m coffee shop.. alas now gone). Unless I'm not looking too hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Yes I am now aware of the commonwealth tradition. I did some research today about the poppy remembrance. I actually think it is really awesome! I like the story behind it.

I will visit the American Legion right down the street from where I live and buy some from them to support the cause!

Cool. Since you are reading up on it, here is one more site from the US Department of Veteran Affairs:
Veterans Day Frequently Asked Questions - Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs

Quote on where to find poppies for NEXT year since Memorial day 2011 is passed:

Q. Why are red poppies worn on Veterans Day, and where can I obtain them?
A. The wearing of poppies in honor of America's war dead is traditionally done on Memorial Day, not Veterans Day. The practice of wearing of poppies takes its origin from the poem In Flanders Fields, written in 1915 by John McCrae. For information on how to obtain poppies for use on Memorial Day, contact a veterans service organization, such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW) or The American Legion, as a number of veterans organizations distribute poppies annually on Memorial Day. You can find veterans groups in the Veterans Service Organization link on VA's Veterans Day web page. Veterans groups in your area can be found in your local phone book. Look in the yellow pages under "Veterans and Military Organizations" or a similar heading.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,032,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Never really saw it sold in Adelaide and I see it less in the states (I used to see a vet wait outside m coffee shop.. alas now gone). Unless I'm not looking too hard.
I normally buy a poppy but didn't last week...Maybe its ANZAC Day I am thinking of.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,842,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I never knew that it was unknown by Americans.
I've spent 2 years of my life in the USA on many vacations...
I thought I knew you pretty well.

For Canadians it's a big part of our popular culture, equally well known as Easter or Halloween.

The wearing of poppies is not a tradition in the US, though I remember learning about how it started in elementary school. I think it is a very honorable tradition. I saw Remembrance Day ceremonies from the Cenotaph in London on TV the other day and thought it very moving. The British military is very well regarded in the US and highly respected. Lots of joint training and officers exchanging places and such.

Here in the US, "Decoration Day", which was a day of decorating the graves of Civil War dead, evolved into Memorial Day. So here Memorial Day is the day we memoralize war dead, and Veteran's Day (your Remembrance Day 11-11) honors veterans of all wars.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Americans are familiar with the flower. Not sure if they know its a poppy and its significance. I've given money to vets in return for one.
the poppy story

WWI and WWII helped define Australia as a separate country from the pommies, perhaps this is why poppies have more of a significance... imo

But from an American point of view, the difference is quite sublte.
Australia and Britain are much more connected culturally and politically than the US and Britain have been or will ever be outside of our colonial period.

I have a friend who grew up in Liverpool and moved to Australia. He became an Aussie citizen before now living in Philadelphia. I asked him how he voted on the referendum on Aus becoming a republic. He is no fan of the Royal Family, but he was vehement that he would never vote for Australia to cut ties with England in any way. He voted against the Republic for Australia. I think British people find Aus much more like home than anywhere in America, even New England. Cricket sucks and no American can imagine anyone ever playing it. Just kidding!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM

4,158 posts, read 4,816,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
But from an American point of view, the difference is quite sublte.
I think that says more about Americans than it does about Australia. Americans also tend to call Britain "England" and talk about QEII being the Queen of England.

Quote:
I have a friend who grew up in Liverpool and moved to Australia. He became an Aussie citizen before now living in Philadelphia. I asked him how he voted on the referendum on Aus becoming a republic. He is no fan of the Royal Family, but he was vehement that he would never vote for Australia to cut ties with England in any way. He voted against the Republic for Australia.
There you go, you made my point!

Quote:
I think British people find Aus much more like home than anywhere in America, even New England. Cricket sucks and no American can imagine anyone ever playing it. Just kidding!
Hmm...I wonder if British people from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland would really expect to feel at home in any England even if it's "New".

Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I think that says more about Americans than it does about Australia. Americans also tend to call Britain "England" and talk about QEII being the Queen of England.

There you go, you made my point!

Hmm...I wonder if British people from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland would really expect to feel at home in any England even if it's "New".
Ha, you got me. I sometimes do generalize as many Americans do. I should just stick with "UK". I still think Scots would find Aus much more like home culturally than the US. We cut our ties so long ago, and after the break with the UK, many thousands of die hard Loyalists left the US for good. In fact, those Loyalists helped keep Canada from becoming American.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:59 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,939,368 times
I know it's rather late, but this needs a video

ADF - Australian Defence Force - War Heroes Remembrance Song. - YouTube

Lest we forget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand