Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times

Advertisements

I watched "Tomorrow When the War Began" over the weekend... and had to say it wasn't too bad!

It made me think, its not often I'd say that about an Australian movie (although I think we're improving!)

Whats your favourite, any I should check out? I heard Red Dog was pretty good...

... plus any NZ ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:19 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Yep, I loved Red Rog.

But my favourite will always be the Crocodile Dundee series; it's what first gave Australia a personality for me.

NZ? Lord of the Rings?

Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 PM

hmm crocodile dundee, I've watched them.. a long time ago, not at the top of my list. Feel like it appealed to the overseas market more.

I also liked Muriel's Wedding.. and The Dish.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
AUSTRALIA – A Baz Luhrmann Film (http://www.australiamovie.net/ - broken link)

I recently watched this movie. I really liked the little boy actor (Brandon Walters). I am not a movie person like my partner is...but I really enjoyed it! Kangaroos are so cute!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Australia:
Proof
Bad Boy Bubby
Flirting
Mad Max
Mad Max II (The Road Warrior)
The Life of Harry Dare
Lantana
Rabbit Proof Fence
Gallipoli
The Last Wave
Starstruck
Breaker Morant
The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith
Newsfront
My Brilliant Career
The Year My Voice Broke
Jindabyne

New Zealand:
The Quiet Earth
Goodbye Pork Pie
The Navigator
Heavenly Creatures

Old 11-20-2011, 05:09 PM

^^ good list

Lantana was a great movie, and Gallipoli I've watched many times.

My Brilliant Career.... I preferred the book ... but a great story.

Actually "Kenny" I found amusing....

hmm thinking about it, we have made some good movies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
AUSTRALIA – A Baz Luhrmann Film (http://www.australiamovie.net/ - broken link)

I recently watched this movie. I really liked the little boy actor (Brandon Walters). I am not a movie person like my partner is...but I really enjoyed it! Kangaroos are so cute!
I really like Baz Luhrmann movies.. will be interested to see his new one, The Great Gatsby.

I liked Australia, but boy is Nicole Kidman's voice annoying. Grates on my nerves

Old 11-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

I liked Australia, but boy is Nicole Kidman's voice annoying. Grates on my nerves
LOL! Yes it is a little nasally!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Also like The Castle, Strictly Ballroom and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (although no fan of trannies).
Other than that, Strange Bedfellows was good for a low budget film.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Also like The Castle, Strictly Ballroom and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (although no fan of trannies).
Other than that, Strange Bedfellows was good for a low budget film.

Wow I forgot about Priscilla...I watched that movie way back in the day! I liked it!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I watched "Tomorrow When the War Began" over the weekend... and had to say it wasn't too bad!

It made me think, its not often I'd say that about an Australian movie (although I think we're improving!)

Whats your favourite, any I should check out? I heard Red Dog was pretty good...

... plus any NZ ones?
Australia used to make much better movies IMO. They're just not what they used to be. The same goes for Hollywood too.

Not a movie but on Thursdays the ABC has a pretty good show called Crownies. Definately worth a look. It's a legal series about young solicitors working for the Crown Prosecuter. The characters actually have some depth to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand