U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 10:12 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,029,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
We much prefer Malaysia to Singapore too. Especially Sabah!

We are retired but I do not know anyone who has retired to an expat location, so do not know.
Many people, like ourselves, are retiring with elderly parents still alive and requiring attention (mother-in-law is in nineties) as well as grandchildren with whom we choose to spend time and give some limited assistance with the cost of childcare. So the idea of retiring overseas does not come into the equation. Our friends are so busy between it all that some weeks it can be hard to find time to meet up.

The only friends who have even left left Sydney for a life up or down the coast are in the process of moving back, one for medical reasons and one for family reasons. I think, on the whole retired people here have a good life. Really, whether it is boring is an individual thing. There is so much to do if you want and overseas travel is just so cheap these days compared to when we were young.
Not been to Sabah, but was in Sarawak a few months back and enjoyed it. Malaysia would be my choice of country in the Asian region. Spent quite a bit of time there back in the eighties, much has changed, I know.
Come to think of it, only know one Australian whom has settled in retirement overseas that knew here. She decided on Cambodia, where quite a ex pat community has set up from an assortment of countries. All well and good, but not so when something related to health happens. She was knocked down by a motor cycle and took many months of treatment recovery in Thailand and never quite back to old self again. She was forced to return to Adelaide for further treatment but has since returned to Cambo.

I've met loads of Aussies, retired in Cambodia and more in Thailand, but from memory all single men.
Couples tend more towards Malaysia and Bali.
I think it not necessary having nothing to do in Australia, just the outrageous cost of living here on a fixed pension. Many of these people also don't have much of a super either.
Of course being in a place like Penang allows easy and cheap travel to many countries in Asia, among its advantages.
Of course with ageing parents to care for that puts a different light on the matter. So I take it you are not pensioner cruisers just living for the next cruise? Spending the kids or grand kids inheritance?
Run into many like that.

Back to thread, friendliest city possibly Darwin, perhaps due to so many out of towners along with a healthy mix of foreign visitors/workers. In other words lots of folk not established as in the case more likely, of more cliquey cities to the south.

Least friendly/most cliquey Adelaide and Perth (not been to Brisbane)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:01 AM

6,800 posts, read 3,182,913 times
Been to Brisbane many times, they're quite friendly up there.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:54 AM

Again, I'd say one requirement would be a reasonable degree of self sufficiently if in Australia around any sort of 'friendship model' I do have my doubts if location, if tossing up between the major cities really matters. Except in a less established population as in Darwin, as I've already called out, could indeed be labelled a little more so.
Much will depend on individual, loads of luck in meeting people with whom can really reach an 'understanding' with, while much of the rest is passing ships and common courtesy kind. Again gets down to what 'friendly' means in the individual eyes. With luck, outright hostility will be kept at bay, or too a minimum. And yes have experienced and observed a considerable amount of anger and unfriendliness over time in Australia.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:25 AM

483 posts, read 165,555 times
It is not really part of the culture here, in our part of Sydney, to be on close terms with neighbours, though some people like to be friendly. We never have had more than a passing acquaintance with neighbours, just liking to wave hello and have the occasional chat. Especially when alerts are needed on wildlife problems, a neighbour having informed us today that they have found three brown snakes in their yard and pool recently. Similarly, when we found a red bellied black snake inside our house a few years ago I made a point of informing the neighbours.

So our social groups revolve around common interests and people are friendly in that context. Every group we belong to, be it golf, book club, language conversation group etc, conclude with drinks or coffee and that leads to friendship. It is up to the individual to convert an acquaintance to a friend.

I remember talking years ago to a young mother who had migrated from Hong Kong. I said that she must find Sydney pretty boring after living there. She replied that she liked living here, she could afford to spend much more time with her family and that the busyness drove her crazy when she went back. So each to their own.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:41 PM

9,647 posts, read 17,909,435 times
From what I read on the this thread Sydney ranks #1 as the un-friendliest.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
From what I read on the this thread Sydney ranks #1 as the un-friendliest.
Really, you would have to have lived in all the main cities to pass judgement. Our friends who moved from Sydney to Adelaide found it less friendly than Sydney. Our friends who have moved from Sydney to a small town three hours south of Sydney have really struggled to make friends there.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 PM

I'm not at all sure, why anyone, would consider 'small town' Australia to be 'friendly'. I've usually found, indifferent, at best, cliquey as the norm, to various levels of unfriendliness .

While bigger cities, are not really 'friendly', they are at least usually better at tolerance and can take on board a varied set of norms.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 PM

23 posts, read 4,875 times
Melbourne likely remains the friendliest I've visited.

Sydney, on the other hand, just feels actively hostile.

It's as if everyone is already late to wherever they're going. No one has time for anyone. The general mood is just...off.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockCombs View Post
Melbourne likely remains the friendliest I've visited.

Sydney, on the other hand, just feels actively hostile.

It's as if everyone is already late to wherever they're going. No one has time for anyone. The general mood is just...off.
Was that in the city?

Old 11-17-2018, 03:14 AM

7 posts, read 1,950 times
I think some people mistake friendliness with extroversion.

True friendliness is more reserved. It's politeness. Australians are good at extroversion but they aren't very good at politeness.

Sydney isn't so much actively hostile as it is rough, hedonistic and status-oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or